Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page all about reena
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.10.2009, 12:51 PM   #1
frades
children of satan

frades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's asses
same thread as "who was karen after all?"

is reena a particular person or just a first name used for the song?

You keep me comin' home again
When you were gone,
I met a friend
She taught me how to
Live in the end
Are her eyes
Brown or blue?
How does she keep her
Static cool
My heart and soul
Are rocked up in her eyes
A little blink I recognize
A little blink, yea, that's my prize
A white horse
Sittin right there by her side
Hard to ignore
Hard to disguise
She'll never ever
Realize...
When you were gone
I was out of my mind
I had a friend who laughed all the time
I had a friend who cried all the time
I had a friend who screamed all the time
I had a friend who lied all the time
frades is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 12:59 PM   #2
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.mp3.com/features/stories/4879.html
Old 05.10.2009, 01:08 PM   #3
making the drama scene
bad moon rising

making the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's assesmaking the drama scene kicks all y'all's asses
i've heard the song has a connection to this:
http://www.bernadettecorporation.com/novel.htm
but i'm afraid i don't remember, where i read that

edit: oh, you were faster jennthebenn
making the drama scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 04:29 PM   #4
koolthing78
bad moon rising

koolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, that's interesting. I never really knew what the actual story behind it was, but my interpretation was loosely based on the notion of long-term relationships (which I was in at the time, and what she and Thurston are in), and how sometimes things can start to get a little hum drum. So you do some stuff to switch things up and get out of your rut, like make a new wild and crazy friend. And while it seems exciting and liberating at first, all the drama eventually just gets exhausting, and you start to miss the comfort and familiarity and shared life experiences of the person you love. So I always kind of thought of the lyrics "you keep me coming home again" as being directed at Thurston, as if to say "I've been out there and experienced other things, and everytime I do it just makes me realize how happy I am to be with you."

Edit: I also thought that kind of added to the whole "marital ups and downs" undercurrent I felt the album had.
Either I don't understand the point of "repping," or I do and it really is pointless. Fortunately I'm colorblind, so it wouldn't make sense to concern myself with being concerned about it in the first place.

www.myspace.com/koolthing78
koolthing78 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 07:17 PM   #5
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
best. song. ever.
Old 05.10.2009, 09:15 PM   #6
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Reena is my favourite Kim track on RR.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2009, 11:34 PM   #7
koolthing78
bad moon rising

koolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asses
This could SO start a RR vs Eternal thing [I mean legitimately (in my head, at least)]: I mean, different styles: like "Reena" being that album's equivalent of... what? "Poison Arrow"? "Leaky Lifeboat?" "Anti-orgasm"? [But yeah, that was a lot of strange-sounding titles...] ["My 'tree converged' in a yellow wood," apparently [re: a whole bunch of variables congealing into one as I backed up in warp speed to a decreased threshold of scrutiny]]

Bottom line: I think RR is probably better for hippie-leaning stoners (and there ain't no shame in that) who love Murray St. and ATL and maybe Nurse; and the Eternal is for people who liked Goo or Dirty. But the Goo and Dirty side of it compensates by diplomatically throwing the other sides a bone (even the ones not mentioned, like the pre-Geffen side); and as a new ratio it strikes me in a different way, and I can see both sides [of the question you didn't ask...], and they're equal to me--it's just my own thinking that I have to adjust.
Either I don't understand the point of "repping," or I do and it really is pointless. Fortunately I'm colorblind, so it wouldn't make sense to concern myself with being concerned about it in the first place.

www.myspace.com/koolthing78
koolthing78 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2009, 02:43 AM   #8
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

diskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's asses
i love to play the bass line of reena (i always start with reena when i wanna play R.Ripped), i don't usually care about the lirics it's not cause of the language but i care more about the music and the sound itself more than the words but the meaning of reena like Kim told is interesting.
diskaholic-anonymous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2009, 04:24 AM   #9
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
"live in the end" makes me think of anal sex

And that this Reena is kind of a freak in the bed.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth