Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Makes me sad...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.24.2006, 10:37 AM   #61
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
Well, I will say this: listening to "Incinerate" on the sonic mixtape right now and it does sound rather invigorated, like they really love what they're doing, and that's fairly rare in music.
Lipslikewindows is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2006, 12:35 PM   #62
spiritbears
bad moon rising

spiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-festspiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
The problem with RR is not that it isn't good....it is that it is just too safe....tooo pop....too main stream.....same problem with them playing stadium shows with that other stupid band..... its nirvana all over again....
which sucks because T and co. are so much more interesting and brilliant...why go down this road? If they are doing this to "pay for coco's college" .....i don't know....call it what you willl.....i think its selling out.
Old 07.24.2006, 12:47 PM   #63
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I don;t think you know what selling out is if you think that sonic youth releasing a record as melodic and rockin as RR is selling out man.

selling out is compromising your stated values for purely monetary gain. now, what monetary gain are sonic youth getting? what gain at all? they will sell around 100 thousand copies of this album, far less than dirty or goo. they have not released an MTV worthy video and are not on the BUZZ rotation. they have not plastered themselves all over the airwaves. You are lucky if you hear a song off of RR on the college radio.

fucking grow up. for sonic youth, an album like RR IS experimentation. don;t you get it? after 20 years thurston started writing songs based on an acoustic guitar (murray street) after TWENTY YEARS.
to continue in the same standard songwriting form that they perfected over 20 years is pointless for aband like sonic yotuh who treat their existance as an art project and not a BAND.

you have no fucking clue what selling out is.
Old 07.24.2006, 12:51 PM   #64
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I don;t think you know what selling out is if you think that sonic youth releasing a record as melodic and rockin as RR is selling out man.

selling out is compromising your stated values for purely monetary gain. now, what monetary gain are sonic youth getting? what gain at all? they will sell around 100 thousand copies of this album, far less than dirty or goo. they have not released an MTV worthy video and are not on the BUZZ rotation. they have not plastered themselves all over the airwaves. You are lucky if you hear a song off of RR on the college radio.

fucking grow up. for sonic youth, an album like RR IS experimentation. don;t you get it? after 20 years thurston started writing songs based on an acoustic guitar (murray street) after TWENTY YEARS.
to continue in the same standard songwriting form that they perfected over 20 years is pointless for aband like sonic yotuh who treat their existance as an art project and not a BAND.

yes.
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2006, 01:05 PM   #65
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
So would it be experimentation if they started writing BAD songs too? "Well, we've never written bad songs before...this is experimental!". If this is what Thurston comes up with on an acoustic, that's probably part of why they didn't do it much. I'm not saying they can't come up with good stuff anymore. SYR6 was good stuff. Granted, pure noise. If they had taken the pop of Rather Ripped and the experimental nature of SYR6, maybe it would be better. But just because you've never written your songs on an acoustic guitar before doesn't mean you're experimenting. And again, I'm not even saying they have to experiment, or be noisy. My friend makes a good argument that they haven't been very experimental at all on their proper albums since EVOL (I disagree, but that's not the point).

And whether or not they're selling out, I'm not interested in, to be honest.
Old 07.24.2006, 01:09 PM   #66
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I have the right to my goddamn opinion.
Old 07.24.2006, 01:23 PM   #67
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
and you have the right to be wrong too and to be corrected, but I was talking to spiritbears, not you cantankerino.
Old 07.24.2006, 01:25 PM   #68
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
and you ahve the right to be wrong too and to be corrected.
I do not like Rather Ripped.
Old 07.24.2006, 01:27 PM   #69
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
I do not like Rather Ripped.
i thought you did?
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2006, 01:28 PM   #70
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

for an artist to do anything new, to try something they ahve never tried before, that is experimentation, flat out.

for thuston to do something as anachronistic to him as picking up an acoustic guitar and making a tune, that is experimentation. it fyou do not enhjoy the results that is fine and you ahvea right to that opnion but don't speak out your ass and call them sell-outs.
Old 07.24.2006, 01:28 PM   #71
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody
i thought you did?
After listening to it more and more I decided that it was complete tripe. Again.

PS, Rob - It's not anachronistic (wrong time period, out of place in time) to play the acoustic guitar.
Old 07.24.2006, 01:46 PM   #72
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

you are right my long-lost love, anachronistic is used erroneously up there by me.

it is against his character, or what we have sonically come to know as his musical character, to pick up an acoustic guitar and write songs on an acoustic guitar, hence, it is an experiment on his part.
Old 07.24.2006, 05:06 PM   #73
spiritbears
bad moon rising

spiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-festspiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
touch a nerve there rob??? no...this melodic shit is not experimentation...they have been pulling this shit for the last couple of albums..... I like RR...but it is pretty much fluff...not much of substance....
tell me again that playing sold out stadium shows is not "selling out".....
Old 07.24.2006, 09:12 PM   #74
Asim
little trouble girl

Asim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to all
Rather Ripped is one of their best albums, I don't like this Sonic Youth lite but RR is just better than everything they did in the 90's and three-four albums they did ranging from Bad Moon Rising to Sonic Nurse. They need to make more records.

The band ends once Kim can't pick up her bass.
Asim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2006, 10:19 PM   #75
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Yeah, and what is the deal with Kim not picking up guitars much live these days? She always had a few songs she only sang on live, but it seems to be getting out of control. Arthritis or something?
Old 07.24.2006, 10:30 PM   #76
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Nevermind, found out: chronic tendonitis.
Old 07.24.2006, 10:51 PM   #77
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
why do so many people apparently hate NYCG&F?!?! I just bought it and have listened thru it a few times and i find it awesome! the only thing i don't like about it is kim's little bit in Lightnin'... it sounds like really corny poetry... that isn't all that poetic.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2006, 12:14 AM   #78
cracker69
empty page

cracker69 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
NYCG&F is a fabulous record, k-krack. I love "Small Flowers Crack Concrete " and William S. Burroughs aura floating around it.

http://jake-weird.blogspot.com
cracker69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2006, 01:06 AM   #79
spiritbears
bad moon rising

NYCGF beats the shit out of RR....but evol rules all....
Old 07.25.2006, 01:29 AM   #80
Asim
little trouble girl

Asim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to allAsim is a name known to all
DDN > EVOL > CIS > Murray Street = Sister > Rather Ripped > A Thousand Leaves > Washing Machine> BMR > Goo > Jet Set > Sonic Nurse> NYCGF > Dirty

I haven't heard much of Dirty or Jet Set, and I could defintley hear more Washing Machine. And Murray Street is either equal or better than Sister, but I like Sister a lot. Murray Street just blew my mind.

And NYCGF was awful, guys.
Asim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth