Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page To the bassists here : advice needed, Precision or Jazz bass ? + small bass amp
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.23.2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to get a Fender bass, but I'm undecided between a Precision or a Jazz Bass. Indeed the Precision is said to be more "rock oriented" in sound (but maybe that's bollocks) while the Jazz Bass is said to have a more comfortable neck, and I also prefer its look (but I'm not sure if I'll like its sound with more medium).

Links :
http://www.thomann.de/fr/fender_squi...e_pbass_60.htm

http://www.thomann.de/fr/fender_squi..._j_bass_60.htm

I know those are Squiers but the new Classic Vibe series are really said to be very good quality (even better than the Mexican Fenders).

So which model would you recommend (it's mainly to have fun playing some of my favorite bass lines, by bands such as The Cure, The Smiths, Television, Radiohead, off course SY, Jeff Buckley, and so on) ?

That'd be nice if you could also help me on choosing a small bass amp (around 150€, it's just for playing at home)
Old 11.23.2008, 04:58 PM   #2
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The Precision is a classic and although its limited in what sounds it can get it's certainly going to nail the ones you need. The jazz bass does have slightly more variety and looks a lot slicker, but personally I prefer the Precision. Try them out more with the neck in mind, in order to see which one you find the most comfortable. Honestly, the difference in sound is pretty minimal. And while I've never played one, I've heard that the Squire 'Classic Vibe' series is better than the MIM Fenders too.

As for amps, Warwick do a really good range of small combos in their 'Sweet' range. They have a wide range of tones and are very robust. I'd definitely recommend this if you're thinking of playing with a drummer, even if its just jamming (they come in 150 and 250 watt versions). If you're literally just going to be playing alone, or into a multitrack, then Warwick's Blue Cab range offers a slightly less powerful (from 15-60 watts) but even more affordable option. Although both are incredibly cheap for what they offer. (New, the 'Sweet' range is around 300 euros, whereas the Blue Cab is about half that.) The only problem with either though is that you can't connect them to an extension cab - although given what you're looking for, that shouldn't be an issue.

Thomann Links:

Sweet 15:2: http://www.thomann.de/fr/warwick_sweet_152.htm
Blue Cab 30: http://www.thomann.de/fr/warwick_blue_cab_30.htm
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2008, 04:58 PM   #3
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
This should be fine for you

SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2008, 05:11 PM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I just read something that talked about
how God wants to be completely apart of my life and
how he loves me
he is my:
lover
bestfriend
brother
father
and world he is the secret keeper of all
he is the one person that could never break my heart
he will be there through the thick an thin
the one to listen to me cry for a hours upon hours
there are times when I just want to feel something an I call to God I scream out.
father I need to feel you I need to hear you

no matter what God will love me more than
my soul mate

jazz bass.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2008, 06:24 PM   #5
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses

Old 11.23.2008, 06:25 PM   #6
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
don't go over the top

Old 11.23.2008, 11:05 PM   #7
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
you can't go wrong with either...I've had lots of basses, but the one that gets played the most is my p bass.

i just played one of those jazz basses today, it was actually really nice.

For small bass amps. there's lots of choices - it never hurts to look for used ones.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2008, 12:29 AM   #8
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Almost all the bands you mentioned have bassists that play P-Basses, so I'd probably go with that one if sound's your #1 priority.
Old 11.24.2008, 12:50 AM   #9
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
J-bass is more versatile, but I also like a trebly picked bass sound.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2008, 01:04 AM   #10
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
In terms of a small bass amp, Laney's Richter range is meant to be pretty good too. I've used another Laney bass practice amp and it was fine. Like Warwick, they come in a variety of outputs from around 15 - 60 watts. And they're well within your price range.

http://www.thomann.de/fr/laney_rb2_richter_bass.htm
Old 11.24.2008, 08:35 AM   #11
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks a lot for the input (at least the one that was relevant ).
Old 11.24.2008, 08:40 AM   #12
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I'm wondering, are you moving from guitar to bass? I tried the switch the other way around a few years ago, moving from bass to guitar and found it unbelievably difficult. If you are moving over from the ordinary guitar you might find the jazz bass' narrower neck a little easier to adjust to. Otherwise I'd still say the wider necked P. Bass is all round the better bet. No bass provides that distinctive thud quite like a P. Bass.
Old 11.24.2008, 08:56 AM   #13
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm wondering, are you moving from guitar to bass? I tried the switch the other way around a few years ago, moving from bass to guitar and found it unbelievably difficult.

No it's in complement.

So I think I should try them out to make up my mind (but the trouble is I'm afraid no music shop around my place have any of the two basses...).
Old 11.24.2008, 03:23 PM   #14
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Jazz. Trust me, you will be much happier in the long run. Precisions are too limited, you can get all the sounds from a precision bass on a jazz bass + much more. Precisions aren't good for finger playing tones or slapping. Jazz basses are universal basses
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2008, 03:59 AM   #15
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
J > P
Old 11.25.2008, 01:10 PM   #16
Massenvernichtungswaffen
stalker

Massenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's asses
the neck on a jazzbass is narrower at the first fret than at the twelve by a good bit. kinda like on a real jazz bass (upright)
the precision bass is chunkier up there.
I prefer the feel of the Jazz Bass. the pickups are ballsier.
the precision bass has a limited tone. it more or less depends on where you pluck the string along it's length. closer to the bridge/over the pickup/ near last fret.
the jazz bass however has two pickups and it can pick up the subtle bits a lil more. it's noisier in that respect, so if you're just starting out, it could be a challenge. but hey why not get the dynamics down first before the licks?

Jeg kysser katastrofer.

Massenvernichtungswaffen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2008, 03:26 PM   #17
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Yo, didnt see this. Did you get one?

If not, yeah as everyone says get the J Bass. I recently started picking it up in school once a week or so and it was a Squier Standard series Jazz bass and its quite amazing. Apparently, the basses that Squier makes are really good and durable.

Also like you said the classic vibe are very good. I hope that I'll save up enough money to be able to buy the arctic white classic 60s for christmas because it looks amazing and the neck looks brilliant. Haha I'm also thinking of just getting the standard j bass, I need to decide.

as for the amp:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--HTKKB15

I know its over the price range but its amazing. School has 2 and i was amazed just how good the eq and the shape controls were combined with the j bass.

Or just looke at any Hartke amp. Ampeg is good as well. Dont know much more about bass amps.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2008, 03:27 PM   #18
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain

let me just post a random picture from google to prove how fucking amazing this thing looks like:

I'm really freaking out about that neck finish.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2008, 05:29 PM   #19
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

I'll go for the Jazz Bass indeed. From Squier today I've tried a Jazz Bass (the Vintage Modified - which is very good) and a Precision (a Standard one), I really prefer the neck of the Jazz Bass.

I'll buy the amp a little later I think (to save money...).

Thanks again everyone

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth