Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.20.2006, 01:44 PM   #81
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I've always wanted to read something by Irvine Welsh. His stuff looks rather depraved. But I don't really know. Every time I pick up a book by him, the cover tells me to put it back.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 01:49 PM   #82
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
I'm in the mood for something really depraved. Any suggestions?

oh dear. you shouldn't have asked. i recently finished "submission" by marthe blau. you might not recover... good luck.

---

ps on second thought, if you are looking for something of more literary value (this is not a great book or anything, just a bit scandalous), i could suggest

-justine by the marquis de sade
-les chants de maldoror by lautrEamont
-histoire d'o by pauline r#age
(nobody does depravity like the french, he he)

have fun.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 02:42 PM   #83
chuck norris
bad moon rising

chuck norris kicks all y'all's asseschuck norris kicks all y'all's asseschuck norris kicks all y'all's asseschuck norris kicks all y'all's asseschuck norris kicks all y'all's asseschuck norris kicks all y'all's asseschuck norris kicks all y'all's asseschuck norris kicks all y'all's asseschuck norris kicks all y'all's asseschuck norris kicks all y'all's asseschuck norris kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It's J.K. Rowling, and the "three years" part is more like a decade.

I don't know what will be left for me to do after Book 7 comes out. It's like I won't have anything to live for. I love Harry Potter.

I don't know where I got the R.K. from. There is no famous person named R.K. I am terrible witch names.

The books are great. Guess you have to spend more time on the board...

Chuckie
chuck norris is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 02:59 PM   #84
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
R.L. Stine, maybe. Or J.R.R. Tolkein. Lots of R's.
Old 06.20.2006, 03:10 PM   #85
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
R.L. Stine, maybe. Or J.R.R. Tolkein. Lots of R's.

I was so into R.L. Stine in the 2nd/3rd grade. The Werewolf of Fever Swamp is the best Goosebumps book.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 03:17 PM   #86
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

Quote:
I was so into R.L. Stine in the 2nd/3rd grade. The Werewolf of Fever Swamp is the best Goosebumps book.
Oh man I read that one. I loved those. I stopped reading them when they got to Beast from the East - I remember it was the last one I read. But Welcome to Dead House scared the shit out of me. I remember I lost my copy of Why I'm Afraid of Bees and was really sad for like a month, because I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. The Cuckoo Clock one was my favorite.

I heard they were ranked the most poorly written books or something. They were, now that I look back. Except Dead House.
Old 06.20.2006, 03:19 PM   #87
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Oh man I read that one. I loved those. I stopped reading them when they got to Beast from the East - I remember it was the last one I read. But Welcome to Dead House scared the shit out of me. I remember I lost my copy of Why I'm Afraid of Bees and was really sad for like a month, because I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. The Cuckoo Clock one was my favorite.

Wasn't that the one where time kept repeating, or something? And the main character had to relive it all?

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 03:21 PM   #88
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

Ya, something about him turning the cuckoo's head upside down and time went backwards. Every morning he woke up a couple years younger and finally when he was one year old or something, his mom took him to the store where they sold the clock and he got it back. I don't remember exactly.

http://www.iblist.com/series442.htm

I must have read 2/3 of those up to #43
Old 06.20.2006, 03:46 PM   #89
Vodka Goblin
little trouble girl

Vodka Goblin kicks all y'all's assesVodka Goblin kicks all y'all's assesVodka Goblin kicks all y'all's assesVodka Goblin kicks all y'all's assesVodka Goblin kicks all y'all's assesVodka Goblin kicks all y'all's assesVodka Goblin kicks all y'all's assesVodka Goblin kicks all y'all's assesVodka Goblin kicks all y'all's assesVodka Goblin kicks all y'all's assesVodka Goblin kicks all y'all's asses
The goblin don't do so much reedin right not enough time cos I gotta serve the public like by causin trouble for the elves 'n' that but me 'n' Mrs Goblin are readin "Elves are rubbish" by Bogga Furgg its like a nonficshun book right its the follow up to "Elves are poo" thats his other bestseller we read both of 'em well Mrs Goblin reads 'em and I listen cos I'm not too hot at readin y'kno we all hav our skills yeah 'n' mine is makin trouble for elves 'n' gnomes thats it I'm prou of Mrs Goblin 'n' shes proud of me it's been cool talkin to ya yeah.
Vodka Goblin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 04:30 PM   #90
Toxa
100%

Toxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's asses

Toxa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 05:46 PM   #91
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh dear. you shouldn't have asked. i recently finished "submission" by marthe blau. you might not recover... good luck.

---

ps on second thought, if you are looking for something of more literary value (this is not a great book or anything, just a bit scandalous), i could suggest

-justine by the marquis de sade
-les chants de maldoror by lautrEamont
-histoire d'o by pauline r#age
(nobody does depravity like the french, he he)

have fun.

I concur; although, the two essential documents of depraved literature are 120 days of Sodom by de Sade and Venus in Furs by Leopold von Sacher Masoch. The latter is beautiful, the former is frankly awful, but very sick. I would add George Bataille's 'the story of the eye' or anything of his literary stuff... there's a book with three of his short stories in that comes highly recommended - Madame Edwarda, My mother, the Dead man. Madame Edwarda is outstandingly wrong. As is my mother. Yeah. I think the book club should read Bataille. He's beautifully wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 05:56 PM   #92
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
oh madame edwarda is awesome

bataille's literature and evil is sorta like my bible, ha ha, if i ever had one

--
haven't read venus in furs but i suspect you find it more interesting than me due to your own eh persuasions
im more of a natural sadist-- not as inhuman as the marquis however
his are books i read in small doses
Old 06.20.2006, 05:58 PM   #93
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I like 40min. from steven king.
I walked the road where he was hit by the van.

Im also reading The fundamentals of eletricity.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 06:01 PM   #94
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Yeah. I think the book club should read Bataille. He's beautifully wrong.

i wholeheartedly agree with this but i think madame tronquée would protest any more translations...
Old 06.20.2006, 06:13 PM   #95
Dues
little trouble girl

Dues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
And "32 storys:the complete Optic Nerve series" is not in fact the optic nerve series but rough drawings and serieses that did not make it into the actual proper series.

I might be mistaken, but I think you're wrong. '32 STORIES: the complete OPTIC NERVE mini-comics' presents the original seven Optic Nerve comics, his early work he started drawing in high school; these were drawn before he signed the deal with Drawn & Quarterly and became known to a bigger public. They're extremely rare and are presented in this single volume. The 10 Optic Nerve comics from D&Q, that are also bundled in Sleepwalk and Summer Blonde, are successors to these 'mini-comics'.

Be it as it may, they're all worth the read. And I love how the reader's comments (be they fictional or non-fictional) in the D&Q Optic Nerves are in fact pretty similar to the stories Tomine reveals. They work beautifully together. Furthermore, I love how Tomine merely sketches out possible situations, without complete storylines, that leave a reader behind on his own with a vivid sense of emotion.

Quote:
i think this guy is a genius btw

I hear you. Have you seen the Art & Beauty magazines? Love them. [Faits divers: I was able to track down some of the images he drew those portraits from.] And you must see the T. Zwigoff documentary on the Crumb household if you haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I would add George Bataille's 'the story of the eye' or anything of his literary stuff...

'Le bleu du ciel' by G. Bataille is in my heart. A woman named Dirty; portrait of the Interbellum state of mind. Can it get any more real than this?

The true test, after all, is to be like everyone else. Once that happens, he no longer has to question his singularity. He is free—not only of others, but of himself.

Dues is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 08:31 PM   #96
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Trying to read the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test and it's kind of boring. I like some of the ideas the Pranksters have, but I'm not to interested in a bunch of hippies and beatniks taking drugs.

Next, though, and more interesting, I plan on reading either Turgenev - Fathers and Sons or Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged. I'll probably read the latter first.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 08:43 PM   #97
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

I kind of want to read Atlas Shrugged, but I heard that it hammers the idea of Objectivism into the readers ad nauseam, because she didn't feel Fountainhead did a good job of it. Sounds like it would be a bit tedious if that's true. I've always kind of shied away from it. If I take on a book that big, I have to really want to read it.
Old 06.20.2006, 08:45 PM   #98
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
True. I happened upon it in a used bookstore and figured why not? so I got it.
I have no idea of objectivism and I haven't read Fountainhead (this will be my first book by her), so it might not be so nauseating.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 08:51 PM   #99
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

Hah on second thought, to be honest I don't really understand objectivism myself. So perhaps I should read it. Of hers I've only read The Anthem, which is under 100 pages. Excellent book. But the descriptions I've heard of her philosophy seem really contradictory, so I don't know if it's selfish or selfless. But anyway, I suppose I should add it to my list of books to read. I'll be on it in a couple decades. I say go for it.
Old 06.20.2006, 09:59 PM   #100
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
hernandez bros rule

however, claiming for them to have some kind of supreme intellectual caliber

don't put words in my mouth, i defy anyone here to read some heartbreak soup stories and see that they are not below the par of whatever contemporary literature.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
55105 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth