Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Coronavirus
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.11.2020, 06:04 AM   #1
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
How's the situation in the country where you live?
Although right now I am in a country with 10th highest number of confirmed cases (more than 500) in the world, it's surprisingly calm. Noone is wearing masks, the schools are not closed, not even the work would send us home for homeoffice.

In my home land Slovakia though (only 5 confirmed cases), they closed schools and kindergartens, many companies work homeoffice, etc. Interesting.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2020, 06:56 AM   #2
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Here in the United States, personally, I feel people are over reacting.

The LA Times is reporting there is somewhere between 1000-10000 cases of coronavirus active in America. This is nothing compared to the TWELVE THOUSAND who have died from common cold and flu this season.

Coronavirus death rate
over age 80 14%+
70-79 8%+
60-69 3%+
under 50 1%-
0-9 zero fatalities

Last week in Texas, SXSW was cancelled. This week, SXSW Announces They Won’t Refund Tickets.

Most Texas Universities who are either on Spring Break or will start Spring Break next week are adding a second week off from classes due to Coronavirus concerns......there is discussion about returning to virtual classes. I’m not aware of any Texas High Schools canceling classes, but just like the Universities, they too are on Spring Break.

Next week (Thursday), the NCAA March Madness Basketball Tournament begins. One of the host cities is in Ohio and just yesterday the Ohio Governor Calls on Sports to Bar Spectators Amid Coronavirus Fears. It will be impactful to watch televised sporting events taking place in empty arenas.

Gov. Inslee of Washington to ban gatherings, events of more than 250 amid coronavirus outbreak......250 isn’t many people. A decent size church runs 400 on a Sunday morning.

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker declared a state of emergency Tuesday as the number of coronavirus cases in the state spiked to 92, more than double the 41 cases announced just 24 hours earlier.......a state of emergency over 92?

Meanwhile in Texas, the Toyota Center looked sold out for last nights Rockets game. The Houston rodeo is in the middle of its three week run averaging 60000+ patrons daily. We are headed to Houston today for shopping and fun, something my 17 year old daughter asked to do. I’m looking forward to seeing how many mask I can spy and I plan to report back with photographic evidence.

I would have more concern if I or a family member were flying and spending time in airports. Not saying I wouldn’t do it, but I’m glad it’s not a concern for us at the moment.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2020, 08:28 AM   #3
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
here we have a ridiculous anti-science federal government which is doing its best to sweep things under the rug and pretend they have things under control while all they care about is pumping up the stock market. it’s laughable.

i’m not worried for myself but old and sick people are at greater risk so we’ll see how that pans out.

meanwhile, stores are sold out of toilet paper and hand sanitizer,

little kids are apparently immune or something unlike the usual flu which hits them harder so there’s something of interest for researchers. maybe it’s just nature’s way of saying “okay boomer.”

anyway yesterday for shits and giggles i played a few rounds of “infection” on my ipad. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2020, 09:01 AM   #4
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Hello from Italy.

Disclaimer: I'm no medic, I'm just about to share some infos/ideas I gathered on different media/ talking with friends involved in the medical field etc., still, there could be a few inaccurate statements..so bear with me.

The problem with covid-19 is that (to put it in a simplistic way) it's pretty contagious and there's no vaccine / 100% proven treatment.

A few asymptomatic carriers can be the cause of quite a high number of contagions.

The Average Italian Guy still doesn't get that all the restrictions put in place by the government are not meant to deprive people of their freedom, but rather to "save" the elderly (here the median age is pretty high) and immunodepressed patients from a virus that would be way more dangerous for them and also to prevent the overload of our hospitals and national health care system.

There's already the risk of a shortage of beds in intensive care units all over the country.

Just plain people's stupidity could be a factor for the high number of cases here.
Also, tests are "free", and the number of tested people is way higher than in other countries, so the higher total of infected people could also be simply connected to a higher number of tests carried out by the health care system.

I hope things will get better in the coming few weeks.

Death rate as of now seems to be quite higher than the one for common cold and flu, but since there's no sure way to know how many people are actually infected worldwide (unless they take swabs from everyone, everywhere ha..) it's sill a bit unsure if those numbers can be considered realistic or not.

Schools closed, no cinemas, no concerts, no bars, no museums, no sport events, no masses etc. etc.
There have been a few riots in prisons, with 12 dead inmates in total (that's a tricky situation to deal with on many different levels, I won't go into details..).

People are advised to stay at home unless they have pressing/serious matters to deal with (work/health related, need to buy food and so on).

Nothing "life altering", imho, and I'm 100% willing to "endure" the restrictions the government is putting in place, also because as I said I don't feel at all confident in the Average Italian Guy's sense of responsibility.

Today one of the main isp had huge technical problems for some reasons...if THE INTERNET goes down, then I'll get way more worried for the reactions people may have in this situation, ha.

For those interested, this is a good site to keep track of the situation worldwide:

https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronav...ovid-19/spread
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2020, 09:16 AM   #5
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
In Netherlands there's one province in voluntary confinement for one week, and it's where I live. But stores are still open, supermarket was busy as usual this morning. But social events and sport matches are cancelled. Large concerts as well with more than 1000 people attending, but for instance the concert hall Effenaar is still open. People are also recommended to work from home, but that's not possible for everyone. Like a man said that owns a cleaning company: "I can't tell my personnel to clean their own house". There were no traffic jams this morning.
My sister is celebrating her birthday this weekend, not sure whether I'll be going. It's recommended not to do social gatherings.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2020, 11:38 AM   #6
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Just above 200 cases. Universities are closed as of today - until at least April 4. Outdoor events have been restricted to less than 500 people, indoor events to less than 100. Most big concerts will have to be cancelled. I know several event organizers who do things on a smaller scale, but that's mostly due to them catering to a niche audience - hence there's no way they can prove in advance that there'll be less than 100 people. This is an administrative nightmare. The gov has suggested that people reduce their social contacts for the time being. There are those who welcome those measures and those who criticize them. Either way, both social media and media outlets proper are an echo chamber of conflicting ideas and even conflicting chunks of information. People are none the wiser for it. Shit is nasty - and I'm talking about the atmosphere here. So far fortunately no deaths at least. But the proverbial air is getting a bit to thick to breathe.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2020, 12:03 PM   #7
MisterTrick
little trouble girl

MisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's asses
in normal circumstances I think I wouldn't be so panicked, but Jenn's mom is 81, she smokes and her health in general ain't the best, and Jenn herself is asthmatic so that isn't reassuring either

so for her I worry very greatly, if my dad was alive he'd be high risk with his COPD, but that already killed him
MisterTrick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2020, 12:17 PM   #8
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Charlie Kirk tweet

BREAKING:

The World Health Organization has declared the China Virus outbreak a pandemic

Make no mistake—this global panic is Beijing's fault and China should be held accountable

It's time to get tough on China for the damage they're inflicting on the world
Old 03.11.2020, 12:19 PM   #9
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTrick
in normal circumstances I think I wouldn't be so panicked, but Jenn's mom is 81, she smokes and her health in general ain't the best, and Jenn herself is asthmatic so that isn't reassuring either

so for her I worry very greatly, if my dad was alive he'd be high risk with his COPD, but that already killed him
are you guys taking any precautions with quarantine, etc? all meds stocked up, access to oxygen if required?
Old 03.11.2020, 12:40 PM   #10
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
The Houston rodeo is in the middle of its three week run averaging 60000+ patrons daily.

Things can change in a hurry: Houston Rodeo is expected to shut down over coronavirus concerns, sources say

Old 03.11.2020, 12:56 PM   #11
Bytor Peltor
Banned

BIG EARS FESTIVAL 2020 CANCELED
Old 03.11.2020, 01:17 PM   #12
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo ( a 14 day event) has been cancelled 3 days in.
https://www.click2houston.com/rodeo/...r-coronavirus/
Old 03.11.2020, 02:03 PM   #13
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Charlie Kirk tweet

BREAKING:

The World Health Organization has declared the China Virus outbreak a pandemic

Make no mistake—this global panic is Beijing's fault and China should be held accountable

It's time to get tough on China for the damage they're inflicting on the world

Agreed. While the left was feigning outrage and crying racism over references to the "Wuhan" or "Chinese" virus [gasp!], the Trump administration was decisively restricting travel into the US from the affected areas. I know, I know...he's a white supremacist who doesn't believe in science, right?
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2020, 02:14 PM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

lmfao @ trumpkins always blaming everyone but themselves

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...virus-outbreak
Old 03.11.2020, 02:43 PM   #15
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
For fuck's sake, you'll try to shoot your own shadow once you realise it's black.

Australia is okay at the moment, but we're in the position Italy was at two weeks ago. I need to be careful about washing hands, given my job.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2020, 04:10 PM   #16
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Just had our annual Democratic Party Pancake Breakfast fundraiser cancelled. Looks to be a good idea. Want them folks to survive, at least to November!
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2020, 04:46 PM   #17
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
How's the situation in the country where you live?
Although right now I am in a country with 10th highest number of confirmed cases (more than 500) in the world, it's surprisingly calm. Noone is wearing masks, the schools are not closed, not even the work would send us home for homeoffice.

In my home land Slovakia though (only 5 confirmed cases), they closed schools and kindergartens, many companies work homeoffice, etc. Interesting.

yeah Slovakia seems to be on high alert since 10th. case confirmed. as a preventive messure, schools, kindergartens, sport events, big gatherings, my german course etc. were shut. half of my colleagues (females with kids mostly) are on home office, which, in the end is a good thing probably, because our health system would not cope with a similar onslaught of infected people like in Italy, haha.

I am tired of it already. it is like a main topic now. hope it is going to pass soon.
though streets are calm, business as usual. still, strange week.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2020, 05:04 PM   #18
MisterTrick
little trouble girl

MisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
are you guys taking any precautions with quarantine, etc? all meds stocked up, access to oxygen if required?
doing some stocking up, and planning to hunker down if needed, will need to get some fuel soon
MisterTrick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2020, 05:43 PM   #19
GravitySlips
children of satan

GravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
Agreed. While the left was feigning outrage and crying racism over references to the "Wuhan" or "Chinese" virus [gasp!], the Trump administration was decisively restricting travel into the US from the affected areas. I know, I know...he's a white supremacist who doesn't believe in science, right?

You love "the left" really Skull.
I bet you spend enough time thinking about them anyway
GravitySlips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2020, 05:52 PM   #20
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
we've stocked up enough food for 2 cats and 2 people. Can give it away to food banks and cat rescue orgs if we don't end up needing it
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
51 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth