Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page This forum has really gone to shit hasn't it?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.12.2010, 04:06 AM   #161
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Daydream Nation is hugely over-rated. And I'm not saying that to be funny or whatever. SY is my favorite band. They have been for nearly what? 15 years. They have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better albums than DDN. And I wish people would stop using that album as their "defining moment' or whatever. It's a good album of good songs. But it pales in comparison to a lot of their other albums. Seriously.

Nah. It's their best. It's their definitive work. It's like their Trout Mask Replica -- it may not be their best collection of songs, but it's their ultimate statement, definitely. Just by being a double album in the first place proves that the band thought highly of it and were setting out to create their masterpiece, and I think they succeeded. Personally, it's not in my top 5 sy albums, maybe not even in my top 10, but, judging the album for its importance and its inspiration... objectively speaking here... it's their best, by far, no contest. I think the only album that they've done that really was as important was (my personal favorite) Confusion is Sex, just because there'd really never been anything like it before. Daydream is the archetype; it's the sound people identify SY with, it's the sound that they themselves haven't really escaped from.. mainly because it's such a diverse album, stylistically, with punkier songs like Eliminator Jr and more beautiful songs like "Candle"... actually, I love this album just for TRILOGY alone -- that's probably why the album is ranked so highly, because that whole thing is just incredible. It's the album that really showed them coming into their own, and I think it's the one that all their fans can reccomend to anyone. Whether you're more of a fan of their early stuff or their late stuff...

Flaws? Well, it's their longest, so it's not completely perfect, it's maybe a chore to get through at times, but it also has their most brilliant moments on it. It's the first one that really hooked most people, and it's their best balance of noise and melody. Just amazing guitar interplay (listen to "Cross the Breeze", probably their best song; also listen to "Hey Joni".. some of the best interplay ever!).

It's just the shit.

Going back to my Trout Mask Replica example, I definitely think it's Beefheart's most overrated, and I wish people would focus on his other albums, but it's the most important album of all time, it created its own language, and has inspired thousands of bands, and created new forms of rock genres; a record label like Skin Graft couldn't exist without TMR.

In the same way, I think Daydream Nation might be "overrated" as far as SY albums go, but that's only because they've released so many great albums. Overall though, I think it's definitely one of the most important albums of all time, and it's probably the only album since Trout Mask (except for maybe a Residents album or two and Wire's "Pink Flag") that really created its own language... its the one that said "why is everyone tuning to standard? Let's tune to some fucked up ridiculous tuning -- and craft catchy, melodically pleasing, brilliant songs out of it!" Arguably, Sister did the melody-fused-with-detuned-instrumentation thing better, but the production on Sister is terrible. Actually come to think of it, Daydream Nation is their first really-well-produced album (and in some ways, it's still their best production -- okay, those Butch Vig albums are, but those are TOO clean... I don't think vocals have ever sounded better on an SY album).

So... creating its own musical language and universe, inspiring thousands of bands, possibly crafting new genres, and boasting a good 70 minutes of brilliant music... I dunno, I can't really call it overrated anymore. It's just too important of an album -- where would music be without it?

It's kinda like Nirvana. I've never really many people whose favorite album was Nevermind -- but 99% can agree it was their most important.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2010, 04:48 AM   #162
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

Old 08.12.2010, 05:12 AM   #163
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
apologizing in advance: i always thought that the word penis, is poor, kinda funny, toyish(?), feminine even in sound, to describe a.. penis. dunno if its because it rhymes with tennis. if it was to describe the testicles, it would seem more appropriate. ok, this is because it rhymes with tennis.
anyway, that from a non native whatever english speaker. dont mean any disrespect to the language.

been drinking today?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2010, 05:16 AM   #164
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
no. i really had this thought when i first heard that term. it was only some years ago. dunno how i had never heard it before.
plus i think i m 100% on topic in this thread!

in greek you have a different word for "penis"?

in our language it says the same, although the language itself is completely different to english.

sometimes i can't believe the things I discuss on this forum.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 08.12.2010, 05:25 AM   #165
_slavo_
invito al cielo

Quote:
what? you have the actual same word?
penis?

yes, penis. that's the official/medicine term. we call it differently though, in a non-formal way.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 08.12.2010, 05:59 AM   #166
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
same word in french too!
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2010, 06:01 AM   #167
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Syrfox & Atsonic (& Rob),
you happen to like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKd1U...eature=related

because I do, very much so.
I quite like it, though I'm not sure I like it the way it was initially intended to be liked. What I mean is that there's this almost nostalgic, "retro-futuristic" thing to the synths in it, which gives it a special charm - a bit like in Oneohtrix Point Never's music. But whereas the nostalgic/melancholic thing is clearly intentional in OPN's music, I'm not sure it was the case with Arpanet when this track was released. I like it nonetheless, though it's a bit too long and repetitive...
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2010, 06:04 AM   #168
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

FROZEN pENIS
Old 08.12.2010, 06:20 AM   #169
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
I'm trying to convince Emmah to come back for the day, i miss her :-(

that would make this forum awesome again
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2010, 07:04 AM   #170
_slavo_
invito al cielo

yeah, do that. emmah was way cool.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 08.12.2010, 07:05 AM   #171
_slavo_
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
I quite like it, though I'm not sure I like it the way it was initially intended to be liked. What I mean is that there's this almost nostalgic, "retro-futuristic" thing to the synths in it, which gives it a special charm - a bit like in Oneohtrix Point Never's music. But whereas the nostalgic/melancholic thing is clearly intentional in OPN's music, I'm not sure it was the case with Arpanet when this track was released. I like it nonetheless, though it's a bit too long and repetitive...

that track is from the beginning of the decade. I have this album somewhere on my old harddrive, I used to listen to it quite a lot. Sounds very 80s electro to me, cold and bleak. unique music.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 08.12.2010, 07:12 AM   #172
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Daydream Nation is hugely over-rated. And I'm not saying that to be funny or whatever. SY is my favorite band. They have been for nearly what? 15 years. They have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better albums than DDN. And I wish people would stop using that album as their "defining moment' or whatever. It's a good album of good songs. But it pales in comparison to a lot of their other albums. Seriously.
Daydream Nation is my favourite Sonic Youth record and possibly my favourite ever. I don't listen to it very often anymore and when I do I don't feel much for it but in terms of influence it's had on me, the sentimental value can't overlook that. It was one of the first 'weird' albums I heard when I was 12 years old and it really opened my mind. I became into more esoteric stuff after that and ditched my old Megadeth albums (though looking back I could see why I liked them so much).
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2010, 09:26 AM   #173
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

You were not 17 having to live in the throes of HAIR metal supremacy, before the "grunge" thing, with milli vamnilli ruling airwaves, when Daydream nation came out.

Daydream nation changed my life. It changed a lot of people's lives. Your opinion is fine for you man, but to say you wish oTHER peopel woudl stop using an album they love as their "defining" moment is pretty childish.

One's defining moment is what it is.
Old 08.12.2010, 09:40 AM   #174
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Oh man this board is too damn funny.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2010, 09:50 AM   #175
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
shut up. it's a cornerstone in their career. Yeah they got better shit...but it still rocks...ya know?

why is it a cornerstone?
why should it be any more important than any of their other albums?
cuz it was the last indie album?
so what?
nobody talks about the importance of Destroyed Room being their last major label album.
Nobody talks about sucks off The Eternal for being their first indie album again.
WHY is it a cornerstone?
If I were them, I'd rather be remembered for a better album considering they've done way cooler shit.
Why would they want their almost 30 year career to be summed up by one album made so long ago?
Old 08.12.2010, 09:51 AM   #176
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Nah. It's their best. It's their definitive work. It's like their Trout Mask Replica -- it may not be their best collection of songs, but it's their ultimate statement, definitely. Just by being a double album in the first place proves that the band thought highly of it and were setting out to create their masterpiece, and I think they succeeded. Personally, it's not in my top 5 sy albums, maybe not even in my top 10, but, judging the album for its importance and its inspiration... objectively speaking here... it's their best, by far, no contest. I think the only album that they've done that really was as important was (my personal favorite) Confusion is Sex, just because there'd really never been anything like it before. Daydream is the archetype; it's the sound people identify SY with, it's the sound that they themselves haven't really escaped from.. mainly because it's such a diverse album, stylistically, with punkier songs like Eliminator Jr and more beautiful songs like "Candle"... actually, I love this album just for TRILOGY alone -- that's probably why the album is ranked so highly, because that whole thing is just incredible. It's the album that really showed them coming into their own, and I think it's the one that all their fans can reccomend to anyone. Whether you're more of a fan of their early stuff or their late stuff...

Flaws? Well, it's their longest, so it's not completely perfect, it's maybe a chore to get through at times, but it also has their most brilliant moments on it. It's the first one that really hooked most people, and it's their best balance of noise and melody. Just amazing guitar interplay (listen to "Cross the Breeze", probably their best song; also listen to "Hey Joni".. some of the best interplay ever!).

It's just the shit.

Going back to my Trout Mask Replica example, I definitely think it's Beefheart's most overrated, and I wish people would focus on his other albums, but it's the most important album of all time, it created its own language, and has inspired thousands of bands, and created new forms of rock genres; a record label like Skin Graft couldn't exist without TMR.

In the same way, I think Daydream Nation might be "overrated" as far as SY albums go, but that's only because they've released so many great albums. Overall though, I think it's definitely one of the most important albums of all time, and it's probably the only album since Trout Mask (except for maybe a Residents album or two and Wire's "Pink Flag") that really created its own language... its the one that said "why is everyone tuning to standard? Let's tune to some fucked up ridiculous tuning -- and craft catchy, melodically pleasing, brilliant songs out of it!" Arguably, Sister did the melody-fused-with-detuned-instrumentation thing better, but the production on Sister is terrible. Actually come to think of it, Daydream Nation is their first really-well-produced album (and in some ways, it's still their best production -- okay, those Butch Vig albums are, but those are TOO clean... I don't think vocals have ever sounded better on an SY album).

So... creating its own musical language and universe, inspiring thousands of bands, possibly crafting new genres, and boasting a good 70 minutes of brilliant music... I dunno, I can't really call it overrated anymore. It's just too important of an album -- where would music be without it?

It's kinda like Nirvana. I've never really many people whose favorite album was Nevermind -- but 99% can agree it was their most important.

I think EVOL is their ultimate statement. If I want to describe to somebody what SY "sounds" like, I just put that on. I mean, "Tom Violence" alone should sum that shit up.
Old 08.12.2010, 09:53 AM   #177
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
You were not 17 having to live in the throes of HAIR metal supremacy, before the "grunge" thing, with milli vamnilli ruling airwaves, when Daydream nation came out.

Daydream nation changed my life. It changed a lot of people's lives. Your opinion is fine for you man, but to say you wish oTHER peopel woudl stop using an album they love as their "defining" moment is pretty childish.

One's defining moment is what it is.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you're telling me I'm being CHILDISH about musical opinions? Fuckign priceless Rob.

All I'm saying is I wish people would maybe praise Evol, Confusion, Murry St, Destroyed Room, Whitey ALbum, even f';ing DIRTY or really any other SY album a bit more instead of always sucking off DDN.
Old 08.12.2010, 09:59 AM   #178
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
for soemone who started crying when I said I do not like techno.......

as if techno was your godhead or something...I never said you should NOT like it, or that you are wrong for liking it, like you said about daydream nation dig?

daydream antion is the greatest SY album. It encompasses everything they are about. It encapsulates their entire musical language in one tidy 2 LP package.

you weren;'t around so you do not understand.

IT SHOOK THE FUCKING MUSICAL WORLD man

Steve Albini himself called it the greatest guitar record ever. (when it came out of course, which was when he said this quote)

Daydream nation forever!!!!!!!!!
Old 08.12.2010, 10:01 AM   #179
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Rob, I never defended techno, so I'm not sure where my "crying" came from?

also, the whole "you weren't around you woulnd't understand" is just really fucking weak. It's like yr trying to say "I'm right because I'm older than you."

also also, I'm not try to devalue DDN's historical imporance. But I am saying it's not their best album, so I'd like to hear more people cite other albums instead of just glossing over their career and pointing to DDN like it's the greatest thing ever.

also also also, who cares if Albini said that? Neil Young said "Expressway" is the greatest guitar song. And I'm sure other people have said other stuff.
Old 08.12.2010, 11:34 AM   #180
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you're telling me I'm being CHILDISH about musical opinions? Fuckign priceless Rob.

All I'm saying is I wish people would maybe praise Evol, Confusion, Murry St, Destroyed Room, Whitey ALbum, even f';ing DIRTY or really any other SY album a bit more instead of always sucking off DDN.
So you're saying that you're incapable of enjoying a record because too many people are into it?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth