Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.25.2016, 01:48 PM   #48181
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Nvanliforp is back on YouTube doing acoustic SY covers after a hiatus of several years:https://youtu.be/OQ739Ckb9WM
He should open for Lee, Thurston, and/or Kim
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2016, 04:38 PM   #48182
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
yeah the new Dino Jr came out and I was like "OMG SO GOOD!" and then a week later I was like "just sounds like Dino Jr... I've heard this all before." Shrug.
Old 09.25.2016, 08:24 PM   #48183
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
the mono version off the 40th anniversary of the first Ramones. one of many things that made my weekend.

must play this loud!!!
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2016, 09:51 PM   #48184
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
severian dude you're literally critiquing dino jr for the exact same reason you're lauding wilco? at least dino are operating in the very comfortable confines of a style they personally created and one that they are very much nailing the sound of still now, albeit with more developed song structures and a balance of voices. on the other hand, wilco are tepid coffee-shop wank who somehow sustained a career on the basis of overhyped critical response to a record the better part of two decades ago where they pulled the trick of appropriating vaguely interesting styles, neutering them of their vitality and lifelessly injecting them into their own utterly fucking dull work so as to give the impression of inventiveness (the radiohead technique).

I don't get how you can listen to such banal rap and then demand some sort of artistic integrity from rock? it's a bit rich...

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2016, 11:03 PM   #48185
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Wilco blow dicks and spit dribble spunk. im pretty sure I've never heard their albums along with the arcade fire. no reason why I mention both. I just remember that Wilco vid where they jumped out of a plane and me hoping their chute malfunctioned and they all slammed to their death head first.
Old 09.25.2016, 11:19 PM   #48186
pepper_green
Banned

Sev is anti art pro pitchfork high art, hip hop anti hipster pro pop new-hipster art high art, hipster fart art. put louder, rob and every one else in the same category non category drone mainstream high-low art category. these people are fake futurist with a non linear futuristic scope to rely on. popist. brainwashed by 21st century media and culture. gave up and gave in individuals. ignore them with every chance you get.
Old 09.26.2016, 01:45 AM   #48187
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
never liked Wilco

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2016, 11:29 AM   #48188
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
severian dude you're literally critiquing dino jr for the exact same reason you're lauding wilco? at least dino are operating in the very comfortable confines of a style they personally created and one that they are very much nailing the sound of still now, albeit with more developed song structures and a balance of voices. on the other hand, wilco are tepid coffee-shop wank who somehow sustained a career on the basis of overhyped critical response to a record the better part of two decades ago where they pulled the trick of appropriating vaguely interesting styles, neutering them of their vitality and lifelessly injecting them into their own utterly fucking dull work so as to give the impression of inventiveness (the radiohead technique).

I don't get how you can listen to such banal rap and then demand some sort of artistic integrity from rock? it's a bit rich...

It's really not the same thing.
Dino is just doing the exact same then over and over. That doesn't mean it's bad, but it doesn't do a lot for me. There are no surprises to be found.

Wilco has only made 3 truly great albums in my opinion, but they've made a bunch of different kinds of pretty good to good albums. They've done the alt country thing, the big messy opus, the Beach Boys thing, the Can thing, the Neil Young & Crazy Horse thing, the Dino thing, the R.E.M. thing, and bits and pieces of Sonic Youth are scattered throughout. They're not on the same kind of treadmill that Dino is. Wilco may be done doing really interesting things musically, but they're still not phoning it in, or remaking old albums.

I'm not saying Schmilco is genius. In fact, I'm really saying the opposite. It's super basic and low-stakes. But despite that, it still hits the ear nicely, and I find myself thinking about the music and enjoying the album, and want to keep listening. The new Dino is a completely different kind of old guy music. It's just the same exact thing I've heard so many times. Sounds monochromatic and a bit sad.

I have nothing against Dino, and I don't consider myself a big Wilco fan (saw them live a few times and they bored the crap out of me). I'm fact historically I'm much more of a Dino fan than a Wilco fan. But I feel like Dino is one of the most limited bands out there, and I also think they're kind of stuck in a cycle of trying to recapture their classic sound... which they've already done. Their new album is just fine, but you can't really go "back to basics" when you never left basics. There's something a bit desperate about their whole post-reunion schtick that I just don't like. "Hey doesn't this sound super late '80s?" Yes. Why do you think that's what anyone wants?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2016, 11:32 AM   #48189
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
Sev is anti art pro pitchfork high art, hip hop anti hipster pro pop new-hipster art high art, hipster fart art. put louder, rob and every one else in the same category non category drone mainstream high-low art category. these people are fake futurist with a non linear futuristic scope to rely on. popist. brainwashed by 21st century media and culture. gave up and gave in individuals. ignore them with every chance you get.

Hey, let's pretend this makes sense and works as an insult for a sec.
Why are you insulting me? And louder and rob? At least I think you were insulting Louder and Rob and lumping us all together. It's hard to say. But why are you in dick mode?
Old 09.26.2016, 01:18 PM   #48190
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
because he likes Blur and Oasis and is trying to hide the fact that his fave music is tepid AOR friendly adult-contempo for the middle aged soccer-mom set.
Old 09.26.2016, 10:48 PM   #48191
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
It's really not the same thing.
Dino is just doing the exact same then over and over. That doesn't mean it's bad, but it doesn't do a lot for me. There are no surprises to be found.

Wilco has only made 3 truly great albums in my opinion, but they've made a bunch of different kinds of pretty good to good albums. They've done the alt country thing, the big messy opus, the Beach Boys thing, the Can thing, the Neil Young & Crazy Horse thing, the Dino thing, the R.E.M. thing, and bits and pieces of Sonic Youth are scattered throughout. They're not on the same kind of treadmill that Dino is. Wilco may be done doing really interesting things musically, but they're still not phoning it in, or remaking old albums.

I'm not saying Schmilco is genius. In fact, I'm really saying the opposite. It's super basic and low-stakes. But despite that, it still hits the ear nicely, and I find myself thinking about the music and enjoying the album, and want to keep listening. The new Dino is a completely different kind of old guy music. It's just the same exact thing I've heard so many times. Sounds monochromatic and a bit sad.

I have nothing against Dino, and I don't consider myself a big Wilco fan (saw them live a few times and they bored the crap out of me). I'm fact historically I'm much more of a Dino fan than a Wilco fan. But I feel like Dino is one of the most limited bands out there, and I also think they're kind of stuck in a cycle of trying to recapture their classic sound... which they've already done. Their new album is just fine, but you can't really go "back to basics" when you never left basics. There's something a bit desperate about their whole post-reunion schtick that I just don't like. "Hey doesn't this sound super late '80s?" Yes. Why do you think that's what anyone wants?
so wilco doing low-stakes in a style which they didn't invent is completely fine, but dino jr should be castigated for establishing a sound with enough depth to be plied for 30 years? do you not see how ridiculous that is? at least dino jr had the gall to create a new paradigm for themselves, they didn't strive to interpret antiquated genres for credibility the better part of half a century after the fact as wilco did. all those things you're referencing for wilco, a "messy opus" etc., do you really not understand that these are journalistic narratives concocted in tandem with PR teams to sell otherwise diluted, redundant content?

at least mascis, barlow & murph aren't so egotistically frail as to try to cling to any shreds of credibility by making records that fit into these narratives, these guys have a sound when they play together and they simply milk it for all that's worth. it's comfortable music but not through a lack of inability, more so this is what these guys are good at and so they're doing it.

it's the same conversation I was having with you re: the dead c, who by the way have been making the EXACT SAME RECORD for 30 years and merely capturing it with minor deviations on record yet you laud them (because it's "noise" I'm guessing and you're compartmentalising because you don't get it and project these ridiculous, unfounded value systems onto different styles of music instead of seeing them as organised sound which they are) and I mean if you have to have this sort of thing explained to you I'm not really sure why you bother listening to music in the first place?

Old 09.27.2016, 10:33 AM   #48192
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
so wilco doing low-stakes in a style which they didn't invent is completely fine, but dino jr should be castigated for establishing a sound with enough depth to be plied for 30 years? do you not see how ridiculous that is? at least dino jr had the gall to create a new paradigm for themselves, they didn't strive to interpret antiquated genres for credibility the better part of half a century after the fact as wilco did. all those things you're referencing for wilco, a "messy opus" etc., do you really not understand that these are journalistic narratives concocted in tandem with PR teams to sell otherwise diluted, redundant content?

at least mascis, barlow & murph aren't so egotistically frail as to try to cling to any shreds of credibility by making records that fit into these narratives, these guys have a sound when they play together and they simply milk it for all that's worth. it's comfortable music but not through a lack of inability, more so this is what these guys are good at and so they're doing it.

it's the same conversation I was having with you re: the dead c, who by the way have been making the EXACT SAME RECORD for 30 years and merely capturing it with minor deviations on record yet you laud them (because it's "noise" I'm guessing and you're compartmentalising because you don't get it and project these ridiculous, unfounded value systems onto different styles of music instead of seeing them as organised sound which they are) and I mean if you have to have this sort of thing explained to you I'm not really sure why you bother listening to music in the first place?

What a queer response to my saying that while I love Dinosaur jr., their new album doesn't do much for me. More than queer. Absurd and silly. If you want to talk about music we can talk about music. If you want to, like, fight about music, I'm not your guy.

I'm not castigating Dino, or praising Wilco. As I said, I'm a bigger fan of the former. I just happen to be more inclined to listen to the new Wilco than the new Dino. This has nothing to do with me not understanding things or needing things explained to me. It seems to have more to do with some beef you have. It would be a massive waste of time to engage with you further on this.
Old 09.27.2016, 10:40 AM   #48193
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Dinosaur was awesome 2 weeks ago in concert. Their new tracks fit right in and are much more abrasive and DINOSAUR live than on record. I am a HUGE Dino fan but I do not spin any of the last 4 records on the reg. They are laying ion wait until I become an old dried up feeb inside, which is also when I will listen to Trees...Academy, Chelse Moving Light, and all of Lee's new stuff....

ha!
Old 09.27.2016, 10:54 AM   #48194
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
the new album by Preoccupations (ex-Women, ex-Viet Cong)
It's very good.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2016, 11:14 AM   #48195
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
the new album by Preoccupations (ex-Women, ex-Viet Cong)
It's very good.

I've been gnawing on this one too. How do you think it compares to the Viet Cong s/t?
Old 09.27.2016, 11:20 AM   #48196
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Dinosaur was awesome 2 weeks ago in concert. Their new tracks fit right in and are much more abrasive and DINOSAUR live than on record. I am a HUGE Dino fan but I do not spin any of the last 4 records on the reg. They are laying ion wait until I become an old dried up feeb inside, which is also when I will listen to Trees...Academy, Chelse Moving Light, and all of Lee's new stuff....

ha!

Yeah, they still kill live. There's no question that they are an extremely vital band on stage. I'm sure the new songs fit right in with the older stuff. No Dino hate here or anywhere. But I just don't feel a burning desire to listen to these albums. It's not that I don't appreciate them, but I'm usually not in a big guitar rock headspace anyway. When I am, I prefer to throw on something that's been done to death a little less. I still bought the album though, just as I've done with every other Dino album. Its time will come.
Old 09.27.2016, 03:00 PM   #48197
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hey, let's pretend this makes sense and works as an insult for a sec.
Why are you insulting me? And louder and rob? At least I think you were insulting Louder and Rob and lumping us all together. It's hard to say. But why are you in dick mode?

Dude, come ON, just STOP FEEDING THE MOTHERFUCKING TROLL.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2016, 03:39 PM   #48198
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

Dude, come ON, just STOP FEEDING THE MOTHERFUCKING TROLL.

Hah.
Peppper's weird though. Sometimes he actually participates in discusssions and good times are had by all, then he'll start talking shit about those very discussions.
Old 09.27.2016, 04:22 PM   #48199
pepper_green
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
because he likes Blur and Oasis and is trying to hide the fact that his fave music is tepid AOR friendly adult-contempo for the middle aged soccer-mom set.

yr a funny guy. guy. im more of a Incubus, 311 fellow. but whatever.
Old 09.27.2016, 08:16 PM   #48200
the end of the ugly

Quote:
What a queer response to my saying that while I love Dinosaur jr., their new album doesn't do much for me. More than queer. Absurd and silly. If you want to talk about music we can talk about music. If you want to, like, fight about music, I'm not your guy.

I'm not castigating Dino, or praising Wilco. As I said, I'm a bigger fan of the former. I just happen to be more inclined to listen to the new Wilco than the new Dino. This has nothing to do with me not understanding things or needing things explained to me. It seems to have more to do with some beef you have. It would be a massive waste of time to engage with you further on this.
all I'm saying is that I just think you need to look way more critically at the way you engage with pretty much all music as it's pretty ridiculous the way you make everything conform to really narrow ideas and only apply these ideas discriminately, that's it.

1910231023602400240724082409 2410 241124122413242024602510 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth