Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston Moore - Rock n Roll Consciousness [2016]
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.31.2017, 10:14 AM   #81
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
I see the point being made here and agree, IMO it has some to do with the guitar tuning Thurston is using (CGDGCD) which has been probably his most used guitar tuning since 2004-ish and the fact that James Sedwards is playing in the same tuning and both of them are doing fair number of sections where riffs are matching or doubled. In SY Lee and Thurston would often not be in the same tuning starting from the 90's thru the end of 2009. So the tonal scope of the songs appeared wider.

I get the feeling that these songs are Thurston's and he has a very specific sound and idea of how the parts should sound, though I'm guessing James is having freedom on the soloing as that is not Thurston's technical forte.
That's what seperate's this band from SY/Chelsea Light Moving in that James conjours up soloing that's based off of rather conventional blues rock sounding scales. Even with all of that its still interesting to me.

Oh, yeah. Right. Not that I knew this stuff about the turnings intuitively (I didn't) but this certainly makes sense.

I think Phsychic Hearts, much as I love it, suffered a bit from the same issues. Sounding a bit like an SY layer cake with a few layers looped off. That album has a lot of sonic similarities to the more Thurston-y songs on Washing Machine, like "Junkie's Promise," but it lacked the added dimensions that came from the other members.

Back then, it was certainly more excusable. Early John Lennon albums sound an awful lot like Lennon's roughest Beatles tracks, severed from the rainbow of color that the band made when they recorded together (mixing metaphors, sorry). But at this point, is really be thrilled to hear solo offerings that were just totally different. Especially from Thurston, who seems to be the least adventurous SY-er in his proper studio albums.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2017, 05:12 AM   #82
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
No leak, yet? What happened to the music industry

Btw, how do you feel about Smoke of Dream Radio Edit / Album Version?

I guess the production sounds a bit more outstanding for the Radio Edit version, so I'm kind of afraid how the whole album will sound...

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2017, 05:13 AM   #83
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
Looks like RnRC will have some bonus trakz.

http://hostess.co.jp/releases/2017/04/HSU-10122.html

Old 04.11.2017, 12:52 PM   #84
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mil_pl

cheers mil_p. we shall get them two bonus tracks no problem. eventhough it would be nice to have jap. ver. on wax.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2017, 05:08 PM   #85
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Oyyyyy... The last time I ordered something from Japan, from a similar-looking site (Between The Times And The Tides, http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/BGJ-10147), my card was hacked and some motherfuckers in New York (!) paid a hundred taxi rides with it. Not again. I'll wait until the bonus tracks show up on Boomkat or Junodownload or something. They should be on the Kung Fu Store! And Thurston should be on Bandcamp! And I shoulda been rich, but I'm just digging a Chinese ditch!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2017, 03:50 AM   #86
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

Looks like WFMU played "Cusp" today, anyone got the chance to hear it?

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/shows/72145

Old 04.18.2017, 06:31 AM   #87
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

great! cheers.

how come you end up on WFMU by the way? googled it, or listener to WFMU? just interested...

nice setlist by the way: Alan Licht & Steve Shelley , Six Organs Of Admittance , Chris Corsano, Paul Flaherty, Delia Derbyshire , Samara Lubelski and plenty more.

Old 04.18.2017, 06:33 AM   #88
greenlight
invito al cielo

oh, you can relisten to it mip_l just click on pop-up button next to the song or on the top if you want to relisten to the whole show. I will definitely check out the track once I am home.

Old 04.18.2017, 07:48 AM   #89
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
great! cheers.

how come you end up on WFMU by the way? googled it, or listener to WFMU? just interested...

nice setlist by the way: Alan Licht & Steve Shelley , Six Organs Of Admittance , Chris Corsano, Paul Flaherty, Delia Derbyshire , Samara Lubelski and plenty more.

Hehe, yeah I googled some stuff around new album today and that's why I came by it, I was listetning to their radio for the half of the day today and it was quite ok!

Regarding "Cusp" - thanks for the heads up, I didn't notice the play option. The quality is very low, I think I might have ruined the listening experience I like about when I hear something for the first time.

Old 04.18.2017, 07:59 AM   #90
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Hehe, yeah I googled some stuff around new album today and that's why I came by it, I was listetning to their radio for the half of the day today and it was quite ok!

Regarding "Cusp" - thanks for the heads up, I didn't notice the play option. The quality is very low, I think I might have ruined the listening experience I like about when I hear something for the first time.

well, they have good quality streams..I do not know what is story with that issue.

WFMU is great radio. I would recommend you to go through Brian Turner´s archives where you can relisten some great action by Lee Ranaldo and Dust sets played live in WFMU (twice I think), or Spectre Folk with Steve Shelley playing The Fall songs!

https://wfmu.org/playlists/BT

or some SY sets from Primavera Sound

https://wfmu.org/playlists/SZ

Old 04.18.2017, 10:05 AM   #91
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:

interesting track / unusual. me likes Cusp very much so!

Old 04.19.2017, 04:19 AM   #92
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
well, they have good quality streams..I do not know what is story with that issue.

WFMU is great radio. I would recommend you to go through Brian Turner´s archives where you can relisten some great action by Lee Ranaldo and Dust sets played live in WFMU (twice I think), or Spectre Folk with Steve Shelley playing The Fall songs!

https://wfmu.org/playlists/BT

or some SY sets from Primavera Sound

https://wfmu.org/playlists/SZ

Did you have a good quality sound while listening to Cusp? I barely could hear anything in this track... Don't know what's the reason I tried in two different browsers.

Also thanks for the link, I'll check them out buddy!

Old 04.19.2017, 12:26 PM   #93
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Did you have a good quality sound while listening to Cusp? I barely could hear anything in this track... Don't know what's the reason I tried in two different browsers.

Also thanks for the link, I'll check them out buddy!

not really, you were right. but it was not like I could barely hear it. eventhough talking about sounding of the this particular piece I had a feeling like it ment to sound like that. little bit distorted-ish lo-fi sound. maybe I'm wrong. it'll be definitely much better listening experience listening to it in different format then mp3 alright.

Old 04.20.2017, 12:30 AM   #94
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08mnb4f

Thurston Moore Masterclass
Steve Lamacq

Steve's joined by Thurston Moore, whose signature guitar sound has been a strikingly brilliant noise in alternative rock music for 30 years.

It will be Steve's first proper interview with Thurston since his NME days in the early 90s. And, this time, Thurston's bringing his guitar and taking listener questions.

The Masterclass will cover songs from the early days of Sonic Youth, plus material from Thurston's brand new solo album, Rock 'n' Roll Consciousness.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2017, 11:10 AM   #95
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666

Steve Lamacq

Steve's joined by Thurston Moore, whose signature guitar sound has been a strikingly brilliant noise in alternative rock music for 30 years.

It will be Steve's first proper interview with Thurston since his NME days in the early 90s. And, this time, Thurston's bringing his guitar and taking listener questions.

The Masterclass will cover songs from the early days of Sonic Youth, plus material from Thurston's brand new solo album, Rock 'n' Roll Consciousness.

Holy Molly Parker Posey, can anybody capture/record this? Thanks in advance.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2017, 11:33 AM   #96
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://thequietus.com/articles/22244...thurston-moore
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2017, 01:56 AM   #97
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666

Steve Lamacq

lovely!

Old 04.21.2017, 02:12 AM   #98
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe

thx!

Old 04.21.2017, 04:06 AM   #99
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

After few listens to RNR:

Exalted compared to the live version, which is much more loud, sounds a bit weird here, very silent at the beginning that you can barely here these interesting riffs. Then when it comes to the vocal section and echoing, um well it's messy and not in a good way. It kind of sounds like someone haven't spent enough time for production here.
Cusp is just interesting, something different from Thurston.
Turn On is ok, cool sounds and expansions. Some nice vocals then some bad vocals when the song gets higher tunes.
Smoke of Dreams is dreamy and I like it.
Aphrodite is the best track on RNR. Sounds like sonic youth could do that in the 80's, and the vocal sections are interesting, cool and different.

Old 04.21.2017, 05:34 AM   #100
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
After few listens to RNR:

Exalted compared to the live version, which is much more loud, sounds a bit weird here, very silent at the beginning that you can barely here these interesting riffs. Then when it comes to the vocal section and echoing, um well it's messy and not in a good way. It kind of sounds like someone haven't spent enough time for production here.
Cusp is just interesting, something different from Thurston.
Turn On is ok, cool sounds and expansions. Some nice vocals then some bad vocals when the song gets higher tunes.
Smoke of Dreams is dreamy and I like it.
Aphrodite is the best track on RNR. Sounds like sonic youth could do that in the 80's, and the vocal sections are interesting, cool and different.

is not this out on 28th. of April?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth