Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Flaming Lips Vs. Sonic Youth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who is the BETTER band?
The Flaming Lips 2 2.70%
Sonic Youth 66 89.19%
I can't decide, they are both great! 6 8.11%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04.13.2007, 04:49 AM   #41
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
I haven't gotten into the Flaming Lips yet but I disagree with you on some points. I don't think their album are hit-or-miss. Everyone is always saying how great 80's SY is; like if everything they did after that was never as great. Don't get me wrong, I love 80's SY but they still kept putting out great records after that. Records like Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves as well as others contain a lot of amazing songs. To me, SY keeps getting better with age. Sonic Nurse is my favorite SY record and it's pretty recent. The only records that I wasn't so amazed by are EJSTNS and RR. They aren't bad records, they are just average to me.
yeah as i said when they write a good song its really really good better than anything the flaming lips have ever done, but for me the flaming lips don't put bad songs on their albums and sonic youth do, they can be average, and i wonder if they put the time that the flaming lips do into their albums they wouldn't have albums like that. Its just with sonic youths 90's albums like EJST&NS i end up skipping some songs, but there are a few really really good sonic youth tracks on there like sweet shine. And with the flaming lips the album as a whole sounds great from start to finish like sonic youth's late 80's albums. and i do love Washing Machine and Murray Street but even those albums have not so great songs on them.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 04:52 AM   #42
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
The bottom line is the Flaming Lips (by Wayne Coyne & Michael Ivans own admission) had no creativity and/or musical direction and then Stephen Drozd stepped in the picture and started to write everything and all the music became like bowie/ny dolls/overproduced/smoke and mirrors. The band has gone on record saying this, OK?

thats just not true!, if they said that they said it as a joke. they might not have had a musical direction but they sure as hell had creativity!
Old 04.13.2007, 04:54 AM   #43
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
the flaming lips are okaye at best.

but they dont hold a candle to the creativity/evolution of SY.

now this is where we disagree i think the flaming lips have evolved more than sonic youth have. they might not be as creative.
Old 04.13.2007, 04:56 AM   #44
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
i picked Sonic Youth, cuz i'm not a part of a Flaming Lips forum.
Old 04.13.2007, 05:22 AM   #45
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I don't know if you can compare a band to Sonic Youth. In sound perhaps, but just in general....quality? I don't know. I'm not saying that SY are the best band ever, but in terms of what appeals to me, I am yet to find a more appealing band at this stage.
Old 04.13.2007, 05:40 AM   #46
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I can't stand the Flaming Lips.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 05:47 AM   #47
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I can't stand the Flaming Lips.
Out of curiosity, what can't you stand?
Old 04.13.2007, 06:04 AM   #48
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Out of curiosity, what can't you stand?

Their music.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 06:19 AM   #49
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
The Flaming Lips are ones of those bands like The Fall that everyone loves that I will not for the life of me 'get'. Although I frequently live to regret these statements like I did with Arcade Fire. In 6 months time i'll probebly be proclaiming the genius of both the Flaming Lips and The Fall from the rooftops.
Old 04.13.2007, 06:47 AM   #50
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
thats just not true!, if they said that they said it as a joke. they might not have had a musical direction but they sure as hell had creativity!

You're right. They had no skill to translate the creativity into their music. Honestly, I'm suprised you haven't seen the 'Fearless Freaks' DVD, THEY go into detail about this much more. Seriously, Wayne and Michael both admitted that they lacked the skill to make the music they wanted to. So maybe I shouldn't have said creativity and should have said skill.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 07:03 AM   #51
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
that SHOULD go for anyone...truth be told.

and not having the ability to do something, even though it exists in yr head...means absolute shit.

Yeah, but, look what happened after Drozd (the skill) came about, I mean, yeah they reinvented themselves, but they rode on Stephen's talent. Furthermore, they are inconsistent at best, At War With The Mystics embodies that statement.

Thing is, none of the original or current memebers of Sonic Youth had any formal musical training, they probably weren't light years away fromt he FL back in the early 80's as far as talent goes, but look what they did, they created something original and fresh. Sure borrowed from others but who hasn't. Throughout the whole history of the FL, it has always been an outside member (not a founding member) that has wrote most of the music such as Ronald and Stephen.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 08:40 AM   #52
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
You're right. They had no skill to translate the creativity into their music. Honestly, I'm suprised you haven't seen the 'Fearless Freaks' DVD, THEY go into detail about this much more. Seriously, Wayne and Michael both admitted that they lacked the skill to make the music they wanted to. So maybe I shouldn't have said creativity and should have said skill.

i have seen it, i have all their dvds. they weren't professional musicians, steven was, but they were creative.

Quote:
Thing is, none of the original or current memebers of Sonic Youth had any formal musical training, they probably weren't light years away fromt he FL back in the early 80's as far as talent goes, but look what they did, they created something original and fresh. Sure borrowed from others but who hasn't. Throughout the whole history of the FL, it has always been an outside member (not a founding member) that has wrote most of the music such as Ronald and Stephen.

thats just not true, if you have seen the fearless freaks dvd you will have seen wayne writing songs right there!, there is footage of him writing songs from the Clouds Taste Metallic album, and that was when Ronald and Steven were in the band.
Old 04.13.2007, 08:47 AM   #53
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
all y'all can continue this debate over the Lips worth in today's music, but the fact remains that as you read this THEY are on a tour bus heading toward a packed show while YOU are reading a message board.

whether they rank amongst the top bands for the musical "elite" or not doesn't really matter.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2007, 08:49 AM   #54
screamingskull
invito al cielo

true.
Old 04.13.2007, 09:06 AM   #55
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
you've fought the good fight ms. skull, but you won't win it on this board.

take happiness in music YOU love without worry of what anyone thinks.

this even applies to you people that REALLY DO listen to CRAP.
Old 04.13.2007, 09:08 AM   #56
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

and I bet while it was good, Warrant got more women than you or I will ever see in our lifetime. gotta give respect.
Old 04.13.2007, 09:10 AM   #57
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
you've fought the good fight ms. skull, but you won't win it on this board.

take happiness in music YOU love without worry of what anyone thinks.

this even applies to you people that REALLY DO listen to CRAP.

i know!!, there are people on here who don't like the Grateful Dead and Todd Rundgren! CRAZY!!!!!, i guess we will have to agree to disagree, which is kool with me.
Old 04.13.2007, 09:19 AM   #58
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

wow you are so easily worked up.

what is it about what I said that made you feel like I was saying you couldn't have your own opinions of what does and doesn't suck? or is that just general hatred toward Warrant? (lawl)

all I'm saying is the same old "don't hate the player" routine.

*shrug*

I could honestly care less if all y'all were into listening to music made from the screams of torture victims. you're welcome to your opinion and I'm welcome to mine.

WHATEVER the case, PLEASE don't make me have to start listening to Warrant just to be contrary.
Old 04.13.2007, 09:38 AM   #59
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
just swa(y)zin' it up

you should copywrite that before it's stolen.

©
Old 04.13.2007, 10:06 AM   #60
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
I like them both. FL's live shows these days are much better than SY's. Theyre like a circus.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth