Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Yo La Tengo April
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.05.2007, 04:12 PM   #1
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
I'm going to the show tonight in NO, the first in their April USA tour. It's a celebration--I turned in my thesis today.

I'll report back, since I know several people are planning on seeing them this month.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2007, 04:57 PM   #2
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
I wish I could see them again when they play near but the venue has a stick up its ass. Have a great time.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2007, 05:22 PM   #3
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
I'm going to the show tonight in NO, the first in their April USA tour. It's a celebration--I turned in my thesis today.

I'll report back, since I know several people are planning on seeing them this month.
fucking a man! excellent!! congratulations. & a perfect way to celebrate.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2007, 06:52 PM   #4
timtimtim
children of satan

timtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud of
hope you love it.
I'm seeing them in a week in Indy and am super pumped.
timtimtim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2007, 07:16 PM   #5
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
They're still the best live band i've ever seen. Part of it might have been because it was in their hometown during their usually annual hannukah shows but still, amazing.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2007, 07:18 PM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i think the point of "finishing a dissertation" has been missed on most people...

edit: thesis, pardon me.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2007, 08:32 PM   #7
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
awesome man
I can't believe I missed them this year
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2007, 05:56 PM   #8
timtimtim
children of satan

timtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud of
how was the show noumenal?
who's opening the shows?
Old 04.06.2007, 06:01 PM   #9
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
I just got a YLT DVD. Cant be bothered to watch it now
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2007, 06:17 PM   #10
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
*yawn*

I'm groggy. The show was really great. Better than the 1st time I saw them.

The opening band was Times New Viking. They have a myspace. They are 3: guitar, keyboard, and drums. The keyboardist and the drummer sing shouted sing-songy stuff, but you can't understand them. Keyboardist just plays repetetive figures and the guitar is mostly rhythm stuff, so they make a groove and then shout over it, changing it up every once in a while. They were OK, I guess. The keyboardist is really adorable (she) in a Brix/Chan way. Sort of.

After the opening band, the girl standing next to me got all agitated and yelled out "Stockholm Syndrome." Then she started complaining to her boyfriend that the band was already packing up. She thought the opening band was Yo La Tengo. I snickered.

I made a fool of myself soon after that though when I walked into the ladies restroom--the door was open, so I didn't see the sign. I stood there staring at this girl at a sink and thinking how it was progressive for them to have a unisex bathroom. Then I noticed the door and turned all red.

Moving on, the show was wonderful. The Story of Yo La Tengo was the finale and it was brilliant. Ira seemed really on the whole night. His guitarmanship was brilliant as usual. I think they opened with an altered version of Big Day Coming. Other faves were very good, Sugarcube was nice. Watch Out For Me Ronnie from the new album really got the crowd freaking out, myself included. A different couple who came and stood next to me later kept flailing and bumping into me. The girl was cute--I didn't mind. Her boyfriend started talking to me and I found out that neither of them had ever heard of Yo La Tengo before the concert. I then told him that I wished people would shut up during the quiet parts and songs. This happened during a quiet part and I think he got the idea: I wanted to listen and not talk to his ass.

That was the only problem, the place was loud. During for example, I Feel Like Going Home, people were jabbering so loud I could hardly hear Georgia singing. I'm so used to sitting through 2 hour concerts where people make NO noise the entire time. The band didn't give a shit, they just kept going. I would like to have seen Ira pull a Jeff Tweedy and start lecturing the audience about how they're being disrespectful--or maybe not.
Old 04.06.2007, 06:26 PM   #11
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i think the point of "finishing a dissertation" has been missed on most people...

edit: thesis, pardon me.

Thanks, yeah it's a pretty big deal. I've been working on it since last summer. Started writing it in November. Since we have electronic theses and dissertations, I'll post the link once it gets online.....
Old 04.06.2007, 09:29 PM   #12
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
SO - nothing jazzy sounding like the 'Nuclear War" ep? Had planned on seeing them tonight in Houston, but I sick as crap (really congested) and didn't feel like making the drive.

No, they covered most of their stylistic bases. They did some slow stuff with Ira doing some quiet traditional improv too. Nothing quite like that EP, I imagine--I haven't heard it.
Old 04.07.2007, 08:51 AM   #13
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
SO - nothing jazzy sounding like the 'Nuclear War" ep? Had planned on seeing them tonight in Houston, but I sick as crap (really congested) and didn't feel like making the drive.

Sorry, just want to mention that they did Nuclear War the first time I saw them with some members of Gorkys Zygotic Mynci on stage as well. It was ace.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2007, 09:27 AM   #14
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
Yo La Tengo is so amazing. I'm so pissed I missed them when they came up to Toronto.

They're one of those bands that knows how to play their entire discography it seems...wicked varied setlists. -like radiohead.
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2007, 11:25 PM   #15
timtimtim
children of satan

the only thing i've heard off of the nucleur war ep is nucleur war, and i love it.
Old 04.10.2007, 11:51 PM   #16
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I've only seen them live once (in 2000) and they were really fucking good.
Old 04.11.2007, 07:11 AM   #17
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Sounds like you were witness to a true musical treat. Can you remember about how long they played......15 - 20 minutes or longer?

After hearing the 'Nuclear War' ep for the very first time, I've always wished they would record a full jazz album.

It was indeed a treat. I'm pretty sure it was quite long, 15 minutes at least i'd say. It was the set closer.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2007, 06:37 PM   #18
timtimtim
children of satan

I just saw them last night and it was amzing.
They played for 2 hours and did 3 encores.
One of the best shows i've been to.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth