Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Dead C putting out new stuff?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.22.2010, 09:25 AM   #61
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the interview!

My copy of Bruce Russell's book arrived a few days ago, but I haven't started reading it yet. Going by your comments and the back cover blurb it sounds like it's a fairly theoretical book.

I'll probably leave it in the shrink-wrap for at least another month because I'm already going through a pile of 4-5 English books at the moment and when that's done I'd imagine I'll probably want to read something in Dutch again first.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2010, 07:31 AM   #62
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Finally took it out of the shrink wrap this morning and while browsing through it, it does look like it's not an easy read, at least not for a non-native speaker like me. I'm gonna have to keep my English dictionary right next to it.

Did anyone get the Clyma est Mort/Tentative Power reissue?
There's supposed to be a CD inside the 2LP, but mine doesn't have one. boohoo.
For those who have it, is it a loose CD or something with a cover? Does it have just the Tentative Power tracks or also Clyma est Mort?

There's an interesting story by Tom Lax on the Volcanic Tongue site about the making of Clyma est Mort:
Cowbell Need Not Apply: The story behind the making of the Dead C’s Clyma Est Mort
Old 07.23.2010, 12:34 PM   #63
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i read an interview with bruce russell recently where he said he deliberatley uses vague or oblique language, here:

I've been really into the 'Free Noise Manifesto' lately. Did you have a
background in philosophy?

I did a couple of degrees. I was in the political studies department but my
focus was on political philosophy. I've always been interested. I've done a bit
of reading, I guess. Part of the manifest…part of the presentation is slightly
tongue-in-cheek in the sense that it's couched in some fairly oblique
indeterminate language. Also, at the time I was trying to make a point that
there is more to music than writing the perfect pop song. Where I was in the
south island of
New Zealand
basically there was this overwhelming orthodoxy that writing the perfect pop
song is all that matters. I was trying to make a point that there is a lot more
to music than that and maybe that's a worthwhile pastime but a sad ambition. I
don't regret having written that manifesto by any means. At times, it has become
a bit of an albatross for me because people tend to regard it as the
be-all-end-all of what I do. It's a little bit limiting in some ways but I stand
by most of what I said. You must understand, I wrote it…when did I write it…I
wrote it about 15 years ago. It was very combative, at that point, because I
felt that I was kind of going to bat against the odds in terms of where I was
coming from in New Zealand. I've recently republished it in a book of essays
that I've done. I certainly still stand by it, I guess.

full interview here:http://www.tinymixtapes.com/features/dead-c
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2010, 04:29 PM   #64
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

New album "Patience" coming out October 12th on BaDaBing!

Patience is both appropriate and inappropriate as a title for the latest release by The Dead C--inappropriate because it's been only two years since the last album, which in Dead C Time is but the flicker of a candle; appropriate since the key to enjoying their sounds is willingness to sit down, listen and let the music take over your mind. These four unforgiving and intense tracks will not be confused with the work of any other band. Recorded in Dunedin over the Southern summer of 2009/10, Patience captures a restless band that never settles into any form. The trio of Michael Morley, Bruce Russell and Robbie Yeats makes their improvised music sound like the most substantial ever recorded, no matter in what direction they go. Here, vocal-less, thick and thundering electric drones compound and retreat like a Pacific Ocean of noise. Morley once again provides the artwork and continues in his color palatte of late. Its circular, flowery texture provides the perfect mandala for contemplation while lost within the deep meditations that Patience inspires.

sound samples here:
http://www.midheaven.com/item/patience-by-dead-c-cd
Old 09.05.2010, 04:43 PM   #65
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Bruce Russell was quoted in The Guardian about the NZ earthquake.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2010, 04:46 PM   #66
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

For those outside the US who are getting the vinyl it is probably cheapest to (pre-)order it from cdwow: €14.99 with free shipping.

They have the CD as well but that's cheaper from the BaDaBing store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Bruce Russell was quoted in The Guardian about the NZ earthquake.

What did he say? I was wondering if it had struck them actually because I knew he's from Christchurch (I think Michael Morley is from Dunedin?).

edit: nevermind, I found it
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...ch-new-zealand

Quote:
Bruce Russell, 50, said that although he lives in Lyttelton, a port town to the south of Christchurch, which is on firmer volcanic ground, the earthquake had been "very alarming".

"We were woken up at 4.30am and it swayed like a ship at sea," he said. "It was very alarming. We have no power, which is a problem across [Christchurch]. We're listening to reports on a wind-up radio. It's still very frightening."

Russell said he had not experienced an earthquake on this scale before. There have been local reports that some people many have been trapped in damaged houses.
Old 09.06.2010, 01:17 AM   #67
moppity
little trouble girl

moppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's assesmoppity kicks all y'all's asses
Excellent re: the new release. I wish they'd play some shows here to coincide with the release, but that's pretty unlikely. They have some shows in Melbourne though, according to last fm. Seems silly to have to chase them to Australia to catch a show.
moppity is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2010, 07:29 AM   #68
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
how difficult would it be to book a show for them yourself?

looking forward to the new record, the little samples sound good.
Old 09.07.2010, 02:58 PM   #69
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
Great with a new album coming out! It's so strange listening to that new Gate album, it's good but so different from everything Gate and The Dead C has released before. I wonder if this will take a similiar approach to the recording, of if you'll still be able to hear that it is a Dead C record you're listening to!
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2010, 05:22 AM   #70
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCarlson
if you'll still be able to hear that it is a Dead C record you're listening to!

from the sound clips on the badabing website it definitely sounds like a dead c record.
Old 10.18.2010, 09:11 AM   #71
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
on dime The Dead C 2010-10-02 Melbourne aud master by crankingamps

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2010, 06:05 PM   #72
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DEO6GJS9

artist: The Dead C
venue: Northcote Uniting Church, Melbourne, Australia
event: Static Age Festival - Stage 1 (Hall Stage)
date: Saturday 2 October 2010

1. one continuous piece (30:30)
(it may actually be 3-4 pieces but I can't pick or separate them)

Bruce Russell - guitar
Michael Morley - guitar, occasional vocals
Robbie Yeats - drums

recorded/encoded/seeded on Dime by crankingamps 18Oct10

lineage: Core Sound HEB (matched DPA4061) mics
> Core Sound Battery Box (flat response, no filter)
> Edirol R-09HR digital recorder (line in)
> 16GB PNY Class 6 SDHC Card as 24-bit 48kHz .wav file
> Adobe Audition 3 convert to 16-bit 44.1kHz, normalise (+8dB), trim top/tail (sector aligned)
> FLAC Frontend 1.7.1 (level 8)

Old 10.19.2010, 04:01 AM   #73
stu666
Super Moderator

The Dead C 2010-10-03 Melbourne aud master ....

Old 10.24.2010, 06:59 AM   #74
stu666
Super Moderator

artist: The Dead C
venue: Northcote Social Club, Melbourne, Australia
date: Sunday 3 October 2010

1. one continuous piece (47:21)
(it may actually be 3-5 pieces but I can't pick or separate them)

Bruce Russell - guitar
Michael Morley - guitar, occasional vocals
Robbie Yeats - drums

recorded/encoded/seeded on Dime by crankingamps 19Oct10

lineage: Core Sound HEB (matched DPA4061) mics
> Core Sound Battery Box (flat response, no filter)
> Edirol R-09HR digital recorder (line in)
> 16GB PNY Class 6 SDHC Card as 24-bit 48kHz .wav file
> Adobe Audition 3 convert to 16-bit 44.1kHz, trim top/tail (sector aligned)
> FLAC Frontend 1.7.1 (level 8)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F4WCO4OK

Old 10.24.2010, 07:04 AM   #75
washer
bad moon rising

washer cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard sucka
Just to say that I was listening to "Helen She Said" right now and... Fuck, does that song rock! I'm getting more and more submerged on this wonderful Dead C world.
washer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2018, 08:48 AM   #76
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
https://gatemm.bandcamp.com/album/rise-above?t=1
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2018, 04:29 AM   #77
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
New Dead C album titled "Rare Ravers" coming in 2018!
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2018, 04:21 PM   #78
peksopiblep
empty page

peksopiblep has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Ok, this will likely be more controversial than Trump. What is the obsession with "push button" ignition? I dont see the advantage in the new cars that have it, and the old stuff just looks silly with it. I see in hot rod catalogs "kits" and many just replace the key with an industrial button switch, but never do I see an advantage. From a mfg stand point it is likely cheaper to mfg a bunch of "fobs" with their own distinct code than a bunch of keys which have a limited number of combinations, but it has been proven to be no more secure than the old key switch. So why the obsession with retro-fitting it to older cars?
peksopiblep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2018, 10:36 AM   #79
halgreen
stalker

halgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asses
Tom Carter has a subscription series on Bandcamp and the September release was a duo recording with Michael Morley from 2013!
halgreen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2018, 11:44 PM   #80
halgreen
stalker

halgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asses
New Dead C LP out in January.

There was a nice cassette bonus, but looks like that's sold out. Cassette box included a reissue of Repent which has gotta be one of the top 10 live records ever, plus some 2000s era vinyl sides: Golden/Canine and LA Confidential/LA Blues. I know for sure that the former is a classic Dead C burner.

https://badabingrecords.bandcamp.com.../rare-ravers-2
halgreen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth