Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page McCarren Pool Set List
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.30.2008, 09:16 PM   #1
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
New Song (sung by Thurston)
New Song (sung by Kim)
Burning Spear
The Sprawl
Cross the Breeze
Hey Joni
Silver Rocket
The Wonder
Hyperstation
Mote
Jams Run Free
Pink Steam
------------
Making the Nature Scene
Brother Fuckin' James!
------------
Expressway to Yr. Mutherfuckin Skull
Old 08.30.2008, 09:27 PM   #3
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
preeeeeetty good show, thank fuck they picked the two best songs from rather ripped

i was somewhat impressed by the vivian girls
Old 08.30.2008, 09:37 PM   #4
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
what did the new songs sound like?
Old 08.30.2008, 09:41 PM   #5
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
oh wait, i read about them in the other thread, it's ok
Old 08.30.2008, 09:57 PM   #6
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
the new songs were really good. kicked rather ripped's ass all the way into next week. i actually got up and danced. they sound like them but not anything they've done before really.
Old 08.30.2008, 09:58 PM   #7
amyvega
bad moon rising

amyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's asses
nature scene was nice
amyvega is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2008, 09:58 PM   #8
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
Strong Set...

Steve used the mallets in the 2nd new song and this really fresh drum and bass swell and then bam! it ended.

even the Exprssy encore had this drum and bass jam in more prominent roleplay...

silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2008, 10:38 PM   #9
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
The new songs didn't seem to be an enormous departure from what they've done before in the past. Based on the little we have to go on so far, it seems like they're evolving beyond the 'Rather Ripped' formula as opposed to shifting from it completely. Think of some of the more rocking moments off of 'Dirty,' except a little bit more catchy and a bit more riff oriented. And, whereas 'Rather Ripped' had catchy vocals and catchy melodies, this time any straight-forward hooks were in the vocals, letting the instrumentation be a bit more harsh and punishing.

The first new song, sung by Thurston, seemed to be a more straight-up rock tune. You know, as far as Sonic Youth goes.

The second new song, sung by Kim, was a bit more awesome upon first listen. Some nice noise, and much more aggressive hard rock.

At the very least, it seems like the softer 'jam' aspects they've maintained since 'Murray Street' have come to an end.

All of that said, I'm basing this off of two songs that they just wrote the other day, that are going to see way more honing and probably countless changes before they're recorded, if they even make the final cut. At the very least, I can say that I'm very excited to see how this first post-Geffen album shapes up. I can already tell that I'm going to like it more than 'Rather Ripped' and 'Sonic Nurse.'
amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2008, 11:05 PM   #10
Ripchord
the destroyed room

Ripchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's asses
I really liked to new songs. I wish the set list were a little different from what they played at Battery Park. And even though I love the Daydream Nation stuff because, well, I'm human, I wish it wasn't always half their set.

Now, some cell phone pictures!

Ripchord is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2008, 11:58 PM   #11
Nizorel
empty page

Nizorel has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
they way they ended brother james was fucking awesome... i was kind of hoping for a much longer encore like last year's show (and no 100%??)
Nizorel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 12:04 AM   #12
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripchord
pictures

we must have been really close to each other
at one point anyway

i had to go further back and sit down after awhile
Old 08.31.2008, 12:18 AM   #13
canvasseamonkey
empty page

canvasseamonkey has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
the new songs were great. I liked the way they tore up the end of brother james. nice show
canvasseamonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 12:31 AM   #14
neptuneg
100%

neptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's asses
Loved the new shit. I have a crappy quality vid of each of them, or at least parts of them so I will put those up on youtube soon for all to see.
neptuneg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 02:55 AM   #15
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for reviews and pics!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 04:00 AM   #16
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
again , pipol filming onstage..........

ahah, no 100% , someone will be glad to hear this !
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 04:07 AM   #17
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikangod
The new songs didn't seem to be an enormous departure from what they've done before in the past. Based on the little we have to go on so far, it seems like they're evolving beyond the 'Rather Ripped' formula as opposed to shifting from it completely. Think of some of the more rocking moments off of 'Dirty,' except a little bit more catchy and a bit more riff oriented. And, whereas 'Rather Ripped' had catchy vocals and catchy melodies, this time any straight-forward hooks were in the vocals, letting the instrumentation be a bit more harsh and punishing.

The first new song, sung by Thurston, seemed to be a more straight-up rock tune. You know, as far as Sonic Youth goes.

The second new song, sung by Kim, was a bit more awesome upon first listen. Some nice noise, and much more aggressive hard rock.

At the very least, it seems like the softer 'jam' aspects they've maintained since 'Murray Street' have come to an end.

All of that said, I'm basing this off of two songs that they just wrote the other day, that are going to see way more honing and probably countless changes before they're recorded, if they even make the final cut. At the very least, I can say that I'm very excited to see how this first post-Geffen album shapes up. I can already tell that I'm going to like it more than 'Rather Ripped' and 'Sonic Nurse.'

thanks for this, don't forget that they wrote this songs day before concert, ir the same day even, they probably will be changed, modified.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 09:12 AM   #18
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
I thought it sounded great too. WNYC said the sound at McCarren was lousy so I was prepared for that but I was pleasantly surprised. Now, I wear earplugs (and highly reccomend them) so YMMV.
akprodr is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 09:39 AM   #19
ennui61
empty page

ennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's asses
Hell I must've been near ripchord and cantankeroous too. I was the old bastard with his little boy (6'5") and his girlfriend (5'6") it was a great spot to see them from, close and you had room to move. But anyways.........
I though the 1st of the new songs was still in its earliest stage. Thurston said he had no words, would make them up as he went along. It seemed far to structed at this point and yea like a rock song. Kim's song seemed far more progressed.
The rest of the set was Battery Park a little expanded. Not complaining I loved the song choice. Burning Spear and Brother James were great.
Hell Sonic Youth is always a great show.
We got there late and missed Vivian Girls and New Times Vikings.I wanted to check them out but my son had to work. I think we walked in during Wolf Eyes. What is everyones opinion of them ? I knew going in that they were a noise band but ...........DAMN. 15 minutes of that drone would've been fine. I can always hang out in a boiler room and get same sensation. Maybe l'm just old, hell I am 48
ennui61 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 10:14 AM   #20
UnmadeBrooklyn
empty page

UnmadeBrooklyn has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
It's not your age ennui61. I'm 22, and I couldn't agree more
UnmadeBrooklyn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth