Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Dark Knight Rises: Afterthoughts
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.01.2012, 11:41 AM   #41
Starcat
bad moon rising

Starcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's asses
You should still watch it for sure! It's exciting and cool and all, it's just not as good as Dark Knight Rises, which had much better dialogue and much fewer plot holes and much less cheese. But for the same reasons Ashtray and Demonrail and Dude McDude say it doesn't deserve such harsh criticism, it deserves to be seen. There's enough good stuff in there to make it entertaining as long as you can take it with a grain of salt

Starcat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2012, 12:52 PM   #42
dale_gribble
100%

dale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
You're wrong, so just admit that you are wrong.

we're all wrong. however, i'm assuming you think you're right about something which makes me feel pity for you

dale_gribble is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2012, 07:36 PM   #43
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
That makes no sense.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2012, 10:21 PM   #44
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
You're so fucking retarded. Like seriously, read what you just wrote again.

Hey I guess I can't listen to a record and say "I don't like the vocalist" because IT'S JUST MUSIC and clearly I need to get a life for feeling a certain way!

This movie is more than 'little' inadequacies which is why I didn't ENJOY it. It's a huge mess in most areas and the 'little' inadequacies really prevent it from being great.

Then again, "it's just a movie, why criticize it" is the mindset of every dull drone with bland taste. Clearly we shouldn't challenge anything ever and accept complacency with everything! Seriously, you're a moron.

Tearing apart art helps hinder people from making mediocre works. If you really think people who analyse music, movies, books etc. need a life then I don't know what to tell you, I guess your simple-minded redneck roots are shining through.

Also, this is a fucking discussion board. What the hell do you expect?

I don't want a large retort back or anything. You're wrong, so just admit that you are wrong.

We're talking about two very different sorts of entertainment. Film is routed in fiction, almost always (of course music can be too, but it's a totally different medium of expression and deserves to be recognized as such). Film near always leaves little to the imagination. The visuals, the music, the emotions are all laid out for you. It's not always as obvious in music (thought you of all people would have realized this). We're talking about trying to tear apart and point out the faults in a film about a guy that dresses up in a bat costume swinging from building to building driving completely outrageous vehicles of all varieties and fighting bad guys w/ all sorts of insane issues. THE WHOLE THING IS UNREALISTIC AND FAKE! I mean, why not just go ahead and say Star Wars sucks? haha
Old 08.01.2012, 10:47 PM   #45
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Can you give me 10 reasons why I should go to watch it and 10 reasons why I shouldn't? I'm only asking because I have a hefty amount of movies to watch in the next few weeks and this one seems like the sort that can wait for much longer, even though I am partial to Batman as a superhero.

go watch it, in a big screen because it's the only place it makes sense. your dream man gary oldman is in it. yes, he plays a goody-goody, and unfortunately he's not there as much as you'd like, but still. you can swoon in his surround-sound raspy voice and watch his face tower over 10 meters high where you can inspect every craggy furrow of his skin.

to use one of those analogies from admission exams:

catwoman : !@#$%! :: gordon: porks

yes? yes! now go catch a matinee so you can pay half price. have fun!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.02.2012, 07:35 PM   #46
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Can you give me 10 reasons why I should go to watch it and 10 reasons why I shouldn't? I'm only asking because I have a hefty amount of movies to watch in the next few weeks and this one seems like the sort that can wait for much longer, even though I am partial to Batman as a superhero.

Plus points:

x5 Seeing it will give you an entry point the next time someone brings it up in conversation at a party.

x5 It's very good

Negative points:

x5 The coolest thing anyone could say to anyone who brings it up at a party is that they've never heard of it, or batman.

x5 Iron Man is better
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2012, 03:55 AM   #47
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks guys.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2012, 07:39 AM   #48
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale_gribble
we're all wrong. however, i'm assuming you think you're right about something which makes me feel pity for you

Yess. Just what I like to say irl. "I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying yer wrong"
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2012, 10:52 PM   #49
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
I thought the plot was great. I thought Bale stepped it up big time after the last film. Oldman for sure too. I didnt think it was too long or anything either.
My only gripe was that there were way too many one liners in this film...and some pretty cheesey lines.

There were also a lot of unintentional funny moments.

"Not this cop"
and the way a certain someone dies..super cheese.

I thought it ended the trilogy beautifully though.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2012, 03:04 AM   #50
Dude McDude
bad moon rising

Dude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's asses
I really laughed at the one-liner that went something like "So that's how that feel"

the colony of unlimited power will pass a despot of hardly any man
Dude McDude is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2012, 07:14 AM   #51
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
I wish he said that in bruce's voice though, instead of the batvoice...noone was there haha...
Old 08.04.2012, 07:43 AM   #52
Dude McDude
bad moon rising

Dude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's asses
Exactly. Also, It would be hilarious to see him lose the voice act in the middle of a sentence. There's a lot of stuff in the batman persona that is so easy to poke fun at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRs30...eature=related

the colony of unlimited power will pass a despot of hardly any man
Dude McDude is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2012, 03:54 PM   #53
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
good fast food cinema

louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.04.2012, 05:45 PM   #54
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Couldn't understand Bane sometimes but whatever he was still great get over it.

About the ending. Autopilot. Get over it he's fucking Batman and would totally pull something like that.

My only complaint is that it felt rushed sometimes like maybe there was too much story or something. Specifically when he is in the underground prison. I felt like that was way rushed and should have been more epic. I mean he's got a fuckedupass back and he has to fix it and learn to walk again and jump that impossible jump as well as prepare to go back an fight Bane and it was all done in like 20 minutes. Now that I think about it, where was he anyway when he got out of the hole and had to go back to Gotham.

Anyway it doesn't really matter as I understand it would have made the movie even more insanely long and as long as you know it was an epic and grueling experience they don't really need to show it. It just felt like more of a montage at times especially that part is all I'm sayin. But it was a badass movies and I don't even like movies most of the time,
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2012, 12:37 AM   #55
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

Yeah I wish they would have taken more time with his recovery process.

But I really liked the idea of the TV in front of him, watching gothem burn.

The scene when they hung the bodies from the bridge was intense, especially with Bruce's reaction.

In some ways I feel like this is similar to batman begins, besides all the obvious correlations they put in.

I mean Bale stole the show, and most of the other performances were pretty tacky.

It felt like the best "batman" film, but maybe not the best "film" if that makes sense.

But they had so many things I wanted in it, t hat I can't complain too badly about the one liners...and at the same time...we're watching a super hero movie...made mostly for kids...I wish I could have seen this trilogy at 14.

The grave with the roses. nailed it.
batman in his suit without his mask on. nailed it.
return of the batcave. nailed it.
batman getting some tail in the batsuit. nailed it.
batman getting his ass handed to him. nailed it.
& somehow they managed to fit in robin (something i was always against), and nailed it. Even if it was the dude from 3rd rock.

I need to see it in IMAX for sure.

I could only imagine how insane t his movie would have been if Heath ledger was still alive. You know the Joker would have been involved and not scarecrow. Even tho I love cillian murphy and scarecrow you know that he was just thrown in AGAIN for ANOTHER cameo because the Joker couldnt be. Oh well.
Old 08.05.2012, 12:38 AM   #56
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
good fast food cinema

I would say it's better than fast food cinema.

But it's still just a superhero movie.
Old 08.05.2012, 09:14 AM   #57
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
It's not a goddamn "superhero" movie. It's a hero's journey, definitely, but I didn't see any super human powers or activity. Christ, they even turned Bane's mask into an opiate inhalant device to avoid to whole "Venom" superstrength bullshit. That was deliberate.

It was a totally human film, and it was epic and allegorical and poetic. It deserves to be acknowledged as something more than a cheap-thrills fantasy film. It's not THOR, or the fucking Hulk. At the very least it deserves to be analyzed on a different dimension than those movies. It should be compared, if anything, to the Godfather, which is the only other trilogy that I can think of to compare it to.

I still need to see it again. I'm starting to wonder if there was any expository explanation for why Batman was able to defeat the man who so pitifully whooped his ass just a few months earlier, especially since he was recovering from a multiple-vertebrae fracture-- apart from finally realizing that when the guycrowds who's kicking your ass is breathing through a mask, you HIT THE FUCKING MASK andinto dont, for instance, try to "scare" him byget turning off the lights-- because I didn't catch anything the first time around.

Also, I want to see if Bruce managed to literally walk across the world in a realistic time frame, which given his complete lack of funds, and his only recently healed BROKEN BACK, does not seem likely.

I agree that the movie should have been longer. I would not haveI complained if it had been 3+ hours.

It has now been 2 weeks since I saw of, and I haven't stopped thinking about it for more than a few hours here and there.

I am thinking Best Picture and Best Director nod. The academy expanded that category to ten films because of the shit they took after excluding the Dark Knight.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2012, 09:41 AM   #58
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

Batman is a superhero.

He is the only superhero without super powers, but it's a superhero film.

Doesn't matter how it's presented.

There are many, many unrealistic things about this trilogy.

It's grounded realism, not pure realism.
Old 08.05.2012, 12:24 PM   #59
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
It's not a goddamn "superhero" movie. It's a hero's journey, definitely, but I didn't see any super human powers or activity. Christ, they even turned Bane's mask into an opiate inhalant device to avoid to whole "Venom" superstrength bullshit. That was deliberate.

It was a totally human film, and it was epic and allegorical and poetic. It deserves to be acknowledged as something more than a cheap-thrills fantasy film. It's not THOR, or the fucking Hulk. At the very least it deserves to be analyzed on a different dimension than those movies. It should be compared, if anything, to the Godfather, which is the only other trilogy that I can think of to compare it to.

I still need to see it again. I'm starting to wonder if there was any expository explanation for why Batman was able to defeat the man who so pitifully whooped his ass just a few months earlier, especially since he was recovering from a multiple-vertebrae fracture-- apart from finally realizing that when the guycrowds who's kicking your ass is breathing through a mask, you HIT THE FUCKING MASK andinto dont, for instance, try to "scare" him byget turning off the lights-- because I didn't catch anything the first time around.

Also, I want to see if Bruce managed to literally walk across the world in a realistic time frame, which given his complete lack of funds, and his only recently healed BROKEN BACK, does not seem likely.

I agree that the movie should have been longer. I would not haveI complained if it had been 3+ hours.

It has now been 2 weeks since I saw of, and I haven't stopped thinking about it for more than a few hours here and there.

I am thinking Best Picture and Best Director nod. The academy expanded that category to ten films because of the shit they took after excluding the Dark Knight.

Horse shit. It doesn't compare to The Godfather.

Too many times it Batman they have to tick the right action film boxes, too many times they have stupidly shit one liners. Sure it's one of the cleverer of the superhero films out there (deal with it, Batman will always be in the superhero category) but it'll never truly break away from that tag.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2012, 01:51 PM   #60
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah....dood severian. Its fucking Batman.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth