Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Collection agency
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.08.2008, 10:33 AM   #21
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
here's how it went.

the-one-eyed-muscle: dude. I think I called Guam last night.
me: what the fuck are you talking about? do you even know where Gaum is??
the-one-eyed-muscle: no, but I'm pretty sure I called it last night.
me: WHY?
the-one-eyed-muscle: I don't know.
me: was it good?
the-one-eyed-muscle: I don't remember.

needless to say, we're still friends.

amazing! ive given my penis nicknames but ive never had actual conversations with it. "one-eyed-muscle". sure, it's gotten me into some trouble too, but im always the one who punches the phone keys.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2008, 10:33 AM   #22
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ok so youre already $1400 in debt plus $X in debt from 2 hospital bills + no income = you're bankrupt.

no offense, truly, but your troubles are bigger than a phone call from a collection agency.

(pls dont kll the messenger)

You say it like I don't already know it.

Merry fucking Christmas to me.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2008, 10:37 AM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terriblecanyons
You say it like I don't already know it.

Merry fucking Christmas to me.

christmas! fuck christmas.

you could declare bankruptcy (yes you could) which would wipe the slate clean.

then again, you'd have to wait 7 years to declare it again.

so you should wait to get some health insurance before you declare bankuptcy. medical bills can be a bitch.

hot damn, americans are declaring bankruptcy in record numbers, so dont be harsh on yourself. the economy is fucked and there are no social protections.

soon, soon... just 40+ days until we get a new government.

anyway you can stop the harassing calls by threatening to declare bankruptcy to the collections dude. it's a game of chicken-- they wanna push you, but not that far.
Old 12.08.2008, 10:43 AM   #24
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
i can't help you because i don't know anything about american money issues.

but i'm sorry for you, hope it turns out ok eventually.

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2008, 10:45 AM   #25
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ps crayons you might be eligible for medicaid, furreal.

http://www.fdhc.state.fl.us/Medicaid/index.shtml

best wishes yo

--

ps alternatively you could get them to communicate in writing and wait for the status of limitations to expire in 3-6 years if no action is taken, o yeah.

http://credit.about.com/od/debtcolle...collectors.htm

^^ read that + the associated pages.
Old 12.08.2008, 10:48 AM   #26
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
I leave FL in about a month or so, medicaid won't help me pay anything anyway.
Old 12.08.2008, 10:53 AM   #27
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ah. well they dont have to know dont they? anyway, whatever works.

i edited above for some collection info shit.

look, dont be so terrified about having bad credit at 18. sure it sucks but it's not the end of the world. if anything, that will keep you from getting unnecessarily into debt like so many college students with credit cards.

by the time you're ready to buy a house (years from now0, you should be able to have fixed this bullshit. truly, no use to be sucked in by the drama. and you're not going to get your own apartment any time soon-- you'll have to live with rommates anyway.

get out of florida, get yourself a job, spend less than you earn, save some money, that will do you better.

btw there is mandatory health insurance in massachussets. you could go there & qualify.

anyway, seriously, these collectors like to put a whammy on you to make you think your life will be over if you dont give them their dough. but it's bullshit. they lack the superpowers they claim and you have more rights than you imagine.
Old 12.08.2008, 10:59 AM   #28
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Quote:
ah. well they dont have to know dont they? anyway, whatever works.

i edited above for some collection info shit.

look, dont be so terrified about having bad credit at 18. sure it sucks but it's not the end of the world. if anything, that will keep you from getting unnecessarily into debt like so many college students with credit cards.

by the time you're ready to buy a house (years from now0, you should be able to have fixed this bullshit. truly, no use to be sucked in by the drama. and you're not going to get your own apartment any time soon-- you'll have to live with rommates anyway.

get out of florida, get yourself a job, spend less than you earn, save some money, that will do you better.

btw there is mandatory health insurance in massachussets. you could go there & qualify.

anyway, seriously, these collectors like to put a whammy on you to make you think your life will be over if you dont give them their dough. but it's bullshit. they lack the superpowers they claim and you have more rights than you imagine.

Bad credit is a pretty serious issue. Most of all, I'm just pissed that my parents told me they paid that bill (they promised they would) and then lied to me, so I had to find out the hard way.. like pretty much everything else they've told me.
Old 12.08.2008, 11:12 AM   #29
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Bad credit is a pretty serious issue. Most of all, I'm just pissed that my parents told me they paid that bill (they promised they would) and then lied to me, so I had to find out the hard way.. like pretty much everything else they've told me.

having bad credit means you have no access to borrowed money. it doesnt mean you have no money. if you live within your means, then bad credit is not as serious an issue as people make it out to be. it is serious for people who depend on credit cards and who live on borrowed money. but a lot of people choose not to depend on credit cards.

not having a job or a source of income is a serious issue. if you have sufficient income, you can live a perfectly happy life without ever borrowing a dime.

yes, yes, it's troublesome nevertheless. but dont let those suckers torment you with visions of gloom is what im saying. focus on what you can do & move on ahead.

sorry about your parents.
Old 12.08.2008, 09:59 PM   #30
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I wanted to answer this for you this morning, but ironically, I was worried it would make me late for work, where I answer this kind of thing all day. I work for a state Attorney General's Office in the Consumer Protection Division.

There is bad news and good news to your situation.

Might as well start with the bad: yeah they can report this to your credit. However, if you can't pay it, then I wouldn't let that be the be all and end all of your worries. The hospital could very well have already put it on your credit anyway. These days, nobody is getting loans on big items, just ask all the car dealers going out of business. Hopefully by the time the global financial situation is better you will be in an improved situation to pay it off, and while your credit won't be perfect, it won't be that horrible compared to all of the people who took adjustable rate mortgages they couldn't hope to pay and had their homes foreclosed.

So the good news: the collection agency is in fact answerable to the Fair Debt Collection Act and the guy is already treading the line by "nicely" telling you they will put it on your credit. It is in fact illegal for them to threaten to do so (or make any sort of threats at all), even though they may take the actual action. Furthermore, you can ask them to only communicate with you in writing, and they will have to do so, so that will stop the likely frequent phone calls floatingslowly mentioned.

Mind, many collection agencies play dirty and break the FDCA all of the time. If you ask them to stop calling, and they don't, send a written request - preferably by certified mail that they have to sign for (and SAVE a copy!)

The Fair Debt Collection Act is administered by the Federal Trade Commission. Go to their website http://www.ftc.gov and read up on it and let the collection agents know in your letter to them that you know it. If they aren't following it, you can (and should!) file a complaint with the FTC online from the same website and you might be able to do the same with your state's Attorney General's Office or other consumer protection agency (in some states it's a separate agency).

Since you don't currently have a job, you don't have to worry about the collection agency garnishing your wages, but that could be a serious concern if you get a decent paying job and still owe it and haven't worked to set up some sort of payment plan. However, it costs them money to file suit in court to win a garnishment, so they really only do that as a last result where they aren't likely to get any payments and there is money to seize. Just like with putting things on your credit, they can't threaten to garnish your wages, even though they may be able to actually do so.

I hope this stuff is useful. I've had a few bills that got sent to collections in my life, though nothing very high. My wife has horrible credit, which I married along with her. Nonetheless, we were able to buy a car and a house with decent non-adjustable rates. We wouldn't likely be able to right now, but again, nobody can right now. The guy calling you from the collection agency more than likely can't either.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2008, 10:38 PM   #31
cars_willkillyou
stalker

cars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's asses
I too have >$1400 in debt, i am 21 and I live in Florida. Let's get married and multiply our debt together.

Personally, I have decided to just keep my money in cash. Fuck banks, fuck cards, I wait tables and go to school. I dont need a bank account, I have a safe. And when I save up enough money, I will buy land in cash outright, and build a house on it. But first I am going to declare bankruptcy. Credit is such a retarded idea. I am not going to ever understand how people could not see through such a corrupt and oppressive concept. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

cars_willkillyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2008, 06:42 AM   #32
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_willkillyou
I too have >$1400 in debt, i am 21 and I live in Florida. Let's get married and multiply our debt together.

Personally, I have decided to just keep my money in cash. Fuck banks, fuck cards, I wait tables and go to school. I dont need a bank account, I have a safe. And when I save up enough money, I will buy land in cash outright, and build a house on it. But first I am going to declare bankruptcy. Credit is such a retarded idea. I am not going to ever understand how people could not see through such a corrupt and oppressive concept. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Amen to that. I hope to god that Obama fixes this bullshit credit. Taking money from people who don't have any money is not only unethical but also rude, cheap, and should be illegal.

Let's get married, then. We can start a I'm Under The Age Of 25 And In A Substantial Amount of Debt club!
Old 12.09.2008, 06:42 AM   #33
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I wanted to answer this for you this morning, but ironically, I was worried it would make me late for work, where I answer this kind of thing all day. I work for a state Attorney General's Office in the Consumer Protection Division.

There is bad news and good news to your situation.

Might as well start with the bad: yeah they can report this to your credit. However, if you can't pay it, then I wouldn't let that be the be all and end all of your worries. The hospital could very well have already put it on your credit anyway. These days, nobody is getting loans on big items, just ask all the car dealers going out of business. Hopefully by the time the global financial situation is better you will be in an improved situation to pay it off, and while your credit won't be perfect, it won't be that horrible compared to all of the people who took adjustable rate mortgages they couldn't hope to pay and had their homes foreclosed.

So the good news: the collection agency is in fact answerable to the Fair Debt Collection Act and the guy is already treading the line by "nicely" telling you they will put it on your credit. It is in fact illegal for them to threaten to do so (or make any sort of threats at all), even though they may take the actual action. Furthermore, you can ask them to only communicate with you in writing, and they will have to do so, so that will stop the likely frequent phone calls floatingslowly mentioned.

Mind, many collection agencies play dirty and break the FDCA all of the time. If you ask them to stop calling, and they don't, send a written request - preferably by certified mail that they have to sign for (and SAVE a copy!)

The Fair Debt Collection Act is administered by the Federal Trade Commission. Go to their website http://www.ftc.gov and read up on it and let the collection agents know in your letter to them that you know it. If they aren't following it, you can (and should!) file a complaint with the FTC online from the same website and you might be able to do the same with your state's Attorney General's Office or other consumer protection agency (in some states it's a separate agency).

Since you don't currently have a job, you don't have to worry about the collection agency garnishing your wages, but that could be a serious concern if you get a decent paying job and still owe it and haven't worked to set up some sort of payment plan. However, it costs them money to file suit in court to win a garnishment, so they really only do that as a last result where they aren't likely to get any payments and there is money to seize. Just like with putting things on your credit, they can't threaten to garnish your wages, even though they may be able to actually do so.

I hope this stuff is useful. I've had a few bills that got sent to collections in my life, though nothing very high. My wife has horrible credit, which I married along with her. Nonetheless, we were able to buy a car and a house with decent non-adjustable rates. We wouldn't likely be able to right now, but again, nobody can right now. The guy calling you from the collection agency more than likely can't either.

Thank you so much for all of this information. You've helped a LOT. I just hope this goes away sooner rather than later.
Old 12.09.2008, 09:58 AM   #34
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dead-Air again.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2008, 10:24 AM   #35
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Taking money from people who don't have any money is not only unethical but also rude, cheap, and should be illegal.

just like taking money / services on credit and not paying for them.

nobody took yr money. you went to the hospital and they fixed up yr foot, and now they want to be paid for it.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2008, 10:31 AM   #36
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

nobody took yr money. you went to the hospital and they fixed up yr foot, and now they want to be paid for it.

True, though we don't really have any choice but to go to the doctor when we are sick and the prices are completely out of control. Monopolies are a kind of theft in terms of anti-trust, but the American health care system is essentially one that includes the insurance companies (I know you work for one, but my wife works for a hospital, we have to take the best paying jobs we can after all).

Obama claims he'll be working on that little problem too, but we have heard that one before...
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2008, 11:13 AM   #37
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
almost every city has a community hospital that serves the uninsured public (these are mostly teaching hospitals).

just like any service you wish to buy, it's yr responsibility to be informed prior to "the purchase". it's really no different than taking yr car to the mechanic (except the mechanic can put a lein on yr shit if you don't pay).

I still insist that local Medicaid assistance is available for Ms. Crayons, but she needs to put forth the effort to secure it. some hospitals have patient advocates that assist with this.

PS: I don't work for an insurance company. I do billing for clinical services.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2008, 11:34 AM   #38
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Amen to that. I hope to god that Obama fixes this bullshit credit. Taking money from people who don't have any money is not only unethical but also rude, cheap, and should be illegal.

well no, the credit cards always make money in the end. they make up the defaults with high interest, late charges, etc.

in any case nobody forces you to get a credit card-- but people are made to think that it's easy money-- it's not. ultimately the decision is yours. credit should be something people use to make money (eg purchase equipment), not to buy a new tv. but then credit keeps "the economy" going. thats gonna crash soon too and it will be a bitch.

anyway. everyone should watch this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiOVNWoWTAU

Quote:

yep yep. though health care is a human rights issue. even in 3rd world countries you can get fixed up without owing your kidneys. i'd argue that faced with the choice between committing fraud and dying of gangrene one should commit fraud-- if we value life more than money, it's the ethical thing to do. lesser of 2 evils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
True, though we don't really have any choice but to go to the doctor when we are sick and the prices are completely out of control. Monopolies are a kind of theft in terms of anti-trust, but the American health care system is essentially one that includes the insurance companies (I know you work for one, but my wife works for a hospital, we have to take the best paying jobs we can after all).

Obama claims he'll be working on that little problem too, but we have heard that one before...

the health care system is truly fucked up, and prices are out of hand-- truly dysfunctional shit.

Quote:
almost every city has a community hospital that serves the uninsured public (these are mostly teaching hospitals).

just like any service you wish to buy, it's yr responsibility to be informed prior to "the purchase". it's really no different than taking yr car to the mechanic (except the mechanic can put a lein on yr shit if you don't pay).

I still insist that local Medicaid assistance is available for Ms. Crayons, but she needs to put forth the effort to secure it. some hospitals have patient advocates that assist with this.

PS: I don't work for an insurance company. I do billing for clinical services.

yep, yep. there are options if you search-- medicare, public hospitals... jobs... the survival instinct is pretty fucking awesome.

i fear crayons might be dealing with this the emo way. "the world is fucked i am doomed theres nothing i can do" kinda.

go ahead, shoot me for speaking my mind now... i hope im wrong anyway.
Old 12.09.2008, 01:11 PM   #39
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
i have thousands of dollars in unpayed hospital bills and my credit score was around 600 until recently. that' because i'm late on paying my target card.

someone at my old bank told me that hospital bills don't hurt your credit like an unpayed loan or credit card. they could be wrong though.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2008, 01:15 PM   #40
Lamont Cranston
100%

Lamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
tell him that you dont have health insurance and it's the governments fucking fault for not instituting universal healthcare. tell him.
fix'd

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth