Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Glasgow ABC1 August 22nd
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.23.2007, 02:52 PM   #21
badgercorn
bad moon rising

badgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
my highlights:

did anyone go to the Six Organs late show after the Sonics on Tuesday? You got £2 off with an SY ticket stub so I was totally up for going but my mate wasn't so we ended up heading home.. total bummer as Elisa from Magik Markers was playing and would really have liked to have seen her, plus you just know that at least Thurston and Lee would've been hanging out..

I went, it was good, but would have been better if I hadn't been blown away by SY half an hour before. And yes, Thurston, Lee and Mark Ibold were there.

I thought the sound was better the second night, especially during the encore, I thought the songs with two basses sounded a little sludgy the first night. Not that it stopped it being an amazing gig though.
badgercorn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2007, 02:54 PM   #22
Pantani
empty page

Pantani has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I saw both gigs at Strathclyde Uni in '89 and if last night wasn't quite up there with the Sunday show, it was pretty damn close. Big regret was not getting the camera out in time when Lee dangled his guitar over the audience. The feedback end to Teenage Riot was just unbelievable, even the movement if the guitars seemed perfectly choreographed. Would love to see it again and maybe we will since the show was filmed. Has that been standard at these shows?

Proper gig review and some not very good at all photos:
http://manicpopthrills.wordpress.com
Pantani is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2007, 02:57 PM   #23
rickoss
empty page

rickoss has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I was a bit disappointed by the mixing. Slint the night before sounded perfect, but I suppose they will have been easier to mix.
rickoss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2007, 06:15 PM   #24
iainidc
empty page

iainidc has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Got to agree with all the above comments - I've seen Sonic Youth five times now and each time was great but this was definitely the best! The sheer enjoyment that was evident from the band & the audience response was just wonderful! I thought the gig was over after the Daydream Nation section but when they brought Mark from Pavement on and played the more recent songs it was a real bonus! Thoroughly enjoyable night all round! Lee is awesome!
iainidc is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2007, 06:22 PM   #25
iainidc
empty page

iainidc has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Has anyone ever been to One Up Records on Belmont Street in Aberdeen - under the Sonic Youth section it says 'the best band in the world along with Pavement' and under the Pavement section it says 'the best band in the world along with Sonic Youth'!!
iainidc is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2007, 07:03 PM   #26
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses

Old 08.23.2007, 07:07 PM   #27
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses

Old 08.23.2007, 08:11 PM   #28
badgercorn
bad moon rising

badgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainidc
Has anyone ever been to One Up Records on Belmont Street in Aberdeen - under the Sonic Youth section it says 'the best band in the world along with Pavement' and under the Pavement section it says 'the best band in the world along with Sonic Youth'!!

I know One Up, haven't been there for ages tho..
Old 08.23.2007, 11:56 PM   #29
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Now that I have decided to come over for the London shows after all it's nice to see they're also playing songs not from Rather Ripped in the encores... Shaking Hell and World Looks Red even, excellent.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2007, 07:04 PM   #30
purplebumblebee
bad moon rising

purplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's asses
Just back from glasgow, best sy gig ive ever been to. Sound in the abc is great, loved glasgow too, nice and sleazy is a bloody great pub. DEFO the best juke box ever. Cant wait to visit again!
Old 08.25.2007, 12:46 PM   #31
deadrockstar
little trouble girl

deadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's asses
best sonic youth gig i've been to. i enjoyed the barowlands one a few years back more, but i can have no qualms about their performance on wednesday and accept it for what it was - the best i've seen them. thurston set the mood nicely by coming out wearing his glasses, beer in hand, to introduce the orphan fairytale girl.

i really enjoyed her performance, especially the part where she was layering samples of her wailing. it was like an old hammer horror film or one of those early/mid 90s lovecraft video games (not even sure they had walls of wailing, but i like to remember them that way).

sonic youth were tight, welcoming and, if it were not for steve shelly incestantly drilling for oil only the way he can , it was like being invited to a special performance in their living room - log fire blazing, soft lighting and all.

wish i'd gone to tuesday night, too. would have loved to have seen shaking hell!

i hate abc, it's usually jam packed full of emo, cowlicked snobs and sequin dressed posers jiving to bad disco pop, but the youth obliterated any bad thoughts i had about the brick and mortar of the place.

the tightness of the band was superb. none of the members had anything less than an absolute stormer. the general relaxed atmosphere was fantastic, too. not what i expected at all, especially based off pervious experience. the night was less confrontational and more celebratory. there were a few arseholes elbowing everyone in sight around where we stood, but it did little to spoil the wonderful atmosphere - only dampen it slightly now and then.

steve shelly - words fail me. dave who? shelly is the best drummer i've ever had the pleasure of seeing perform live - wednesday was the best i've seen him.

thurston was, well... thurston. you're never sure if he is getting ready for a cosy night in bed or whether he has just swallowed 200 stardust. great stuff. although i think thurston may actually have aged a little since i last seen him. you've got to keep drinking that secret elixir, man!

kim was a lot more subdued than i've seen her, though she really broke out of her shell for the rather ripped section of the show onwards and was clearly enjoying herself. does anyone know what she had written on the bass she used for most of the second section of the show? my eyes were all blurry from sonic attack.

lee. that's all i need say about him. he was there, he was lee. fantastic. eric's trip was the hightlight of the show for me.

the guy who played bass with them in the second half was outstanding. gave an entirely new dimension to their performance.

loved stopping at harthill service station on the way home and seeing all the kids in their sonic youth t-shirts eating their chicken wraps at the wild bean cafe. the whole night i just felt confortable and amongst friends.
deadrockstar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.25.2007, 03:12 PM   #32
Wirralgir1
empty page

Wirralgir1 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Great review of the gig, thanks
The Wild Bean Cafe is a favourite stop on the way home from Glasgow.
One of the kids in a SY t-shirt was my lad - we both loved the gig.

First time I'd seen the band - I saw Kim and Thurston play Stirling in 2005.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadrockstar
loved stopping at harthill service station on the way home and seeing all the kids in their sonic youth t-shirts eating their chicken wraps at the wild bean cafe. the whole night i just felt confortable and amongst friends.
Wirralgir1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.25.2007, 04:52 PM   #33
deadrockstar
little trouble girl

deadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's asses
hah, that's so cool. i wish my mum went to sonic youth gigs.

your kid has dreadlocks? i remember a kid with dreadlocks with his mother. my brother went to the show the day before and looks like the kid that had dreadlocks, same t-shirt and everything - we remarked on it at the time. so if he is your kid and he wondered why two random people were going, "look, it's steven" (we may have been loud, we were both very deaf) now he knows why.

we were the ones wandering around buying all the jelly sweets, taking ages on deciding whether to get haribo fantasy mix or kids mix or golden bears or or...

never knew they played stirling in 2005 - missed that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirralgir1
Great review of the gig, thanks
The Wild Bean Cafe is a favourite stop on the way home from Glasgow.
One of the kids in a SY t-shirt was my lad - we both loved the gig.

First time I'd seen the band - I saw Kim and Thurston play Stirling in 2005.
deadrockstar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2007, 01:25 AM   #34
badgercorn
bad moon rising

Quote:
lee. that's all i need say about him. he was there, he was lee. fantastic. eric's trip was the hightlight of the show for me.

Something I noticed both nights - Lee was going CRAZY during Incinerate and grinning his head off. He must like that song..
Old 08.26.2007, 11:28 AM   #35
badgercorn
bad moon rising

Review in the Guardian:
http://music.guardian.co.uk/live/sto...155104,00.html

Sonic Youth

ABC, Glasgow

David Peschek
Friday August 24, 2007
The Guardian

As the 1980s drew to a close, rock music had become bloated and empty or, worse still, obsessed with a quest for authenticity, a spurious attempt epitomised by U2's gruesome Rattle and Hum, a foray into ersatz Americana. As corporate rock wheezed out a death rattle, however, a series of records from the underground reimagined what rock might be. Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation, released in 1989 and now being played live in its entirety as part of the latest Don't Look Back season, came out at a time when New York's downtown art scene had been decimated by drugs and Aids, and America was groaning under a Republican presidency hostile to the arts. In the record's savage defiance endures the implicit divide between two different Americas.led into one another. They are a good deal older now - Lee Ranaldo's hair is almost totally white - but you couldn't tell from the way they bounce around the stage. As Teen Age Riot ends, Ranaldo, Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon create gloriously brutal waves of feedback, rubbing their guitars over the amps, dragging them across the stage. If the Jesus and Mary Chain buried melody under beautiful noise, then Sonic Youth make beautiful melody out of noise. In some songs, they might almost be the New York Dolls. In 'Cross The Breeze, sudden shifts in pace knock the wind out of you and in Total Trash, Moore just punches the strings of his guitar with his fist. The songs' genius is in their fusion of good, old-fashioned riffing with experimental tunings and artful swathes of noise; somehow the sound is both brittle and big.

Despite Daydream Nation's brilliance, the night's most beautiful, affirming moment comes in the encore. Taking off her bass to sing lead on What a Waste from last year's Rather Ripped album, Kim Gordon whirls across the stage, dancing like a teenager, spinning around and around, arms flailing like a dervish. For some, the rock'n'roll ethos is live fast, die young. Yet survival - of productive relationships, of a vision, of a life - is much more radical. Sonic Youth, grow old, grow wise and dream on.
Old 08.26.2007, 11:36 AM   #36
neptuneg
100%

neptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgercorn
Something I noticed both nights - Lee was going CRAZY during Incinerate and grinning his head off. He must like that song..

haha, he did that at McCarren too
neptuneg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth