Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Best Films 2014
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.12.2015, 07:10 PM   #1
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Well 2014 but you can't edit thread titles.

Sorted in to tiers rather than individually ordered. The highest tier being the ones I enjoyed the most:

Golden Dream
Boyhood
Maps to the Stars
Only Lovers Left Alive
Two Days, One Night
Nightcrawler
The Punk Singer
Tim's Vermeer
The Past
Under the Skin
---
When I Saw You
Once Upon a Forest
The Babadook
Leviathan (The Russian film, not the doc about the fishing boat - that came out in 2013)
Welcome to New York
The Lego Movie
Stranger by the Lake
An Epsiode in the Life of an Iron Picker
---
Camille Claudel 1915
Calvary
Exhibition
Norte, The End of History
Guardians of The Galaxy
Capt America
Ida
We Are the Giant

Films from 2014 that I haven't seen yet but reckon could be among the best of the year:
The Congress
You and the Night
Mr Turner
Snow Piercer
The Raid 2
The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness
Get on Up
Winter Sleep
Her
Finding Fela
A Spell to Ward off Darkness
Lucy
Interstellar
Bastards
Gone Girl

Anyone else got a list of films from last year?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2015, 01:10 AM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i watch 99% of things on netflix so i have some delay vs. theatrical releases. i might have some answers in a few months as things come out on disc.

i have tim's vermeer on my nfx queue but that's a 2013 film.

only lovers left alive (also 2013) was great. would watch again.

snowpiercer also 2013, i mentioned in the movie thread i found the story a bit derivative but i loved tilda swinton's performance (unrecognizable), and the sets, which looked amazing.

i have the congress also in my queue but nfx predicts i'll give it only 4 stars not 5, and it's generally pretty accurate. so i'm not super-excited but i'll eventually check it out.

her, also 2013 in my area, was very good but not great. beautifully shot, good story idea and all, but i didn't like the babyman main character (phoenix is a fine actor, it's the character i found irking). scarlett's voice was pure loveliness though. i enjoyed it, just didn't think it was so great in the end.

speaking of scarlett i have yet to see lucy. besson always with his superwomen assassins. it's good that he has a theme.

captain america was a bit shit if i recall. oh yeah winter soldier. with the flying sidekick. and robert redford. yes i remember now. good effects. oh, scarlett again! i like scarlett. (well, who doesn't?). but the movie-- i'm starting to confuse it with episodes from "agents of shield". nothing great.

guardians of the galaxy i did not like that much. okay soundtrack. some okay jokes. zoe's fantastic legs are always fantastic (but the color did not flatter her). i think i expected more and was disappointed. okay entertainment.

anyway i'm barely catching up with the 70s, just finished watching catch-22.

oh, don't know if this is in your sights but check out FRANK.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2015, 01:20 AM   #3
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Well 2014 but you can't edit thread titles.

I changed it for you

I've only seen 2 films from yr list. The Punk Singer and Only Lovers Left Alive.

One of my favourite films from last year was Under The Skin.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2015, 01:23 AM   #4
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

only lovers left alive (also 2013) was great. would watch again.

It might've been made in 2013 but in the UK at least it didn't get released in the cinema until 2014...

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2015, 01:44 AM   #5
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
It might've been made in 2013 but in the UK at least it didn't get released in the cinema until 2014...

yeah, movies are dated by release years (first release) but those are bit iffy & vary (festivals, limited + general release etc). all those i've watched on disc in 2014 anyway-- i don't go to the movies anymore so i have no idea but i estimate 6 months after they hit theatres. but i'm pretty sure "her" won some oscar last year though.

funny thing, i just spotted that THE WIND RISES is supposedly from 2013 but it just came out on disc. anyway add that to your lists. beautiful, sad, double sad because it was miyazaki's last film (not death, but retirement).

i'd also add (if eligible) nymphomaniac vol 1. - vol 2 i thought is not as good.

Quote:
One of my favourite films from last year was Under The Skin.

that was brilliant i thought
Old 01.13.2015, 03:45 AM   #6
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I changed it for you
Under The Skin.

Bugger, I forgot that

edited
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2015, 04:01 AM   #7
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
st. vincent
grand budapest hotel

as additions for now, i guess.
havent watched many movies. next i surely wanna watch 'the imitation game'.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2015, 09:38 AM   #8
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
skip the Congress, it was AWFUL, we walked out after 25 min
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2015, 11:24 AM   #9
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
st. vincent
grand budapest hotel

as additions for now, i guess.
havent watched many movies. next i surely wanna watch 'the imitation game'.

i haven't seen st vincent but budapest was awesome

don't know when europe got "gravity" but that was really good for a mainstream movie-- or really good, period.

new stuff i wanna see "birdman"

also curious about "dumb and dumber to" ha ha

and the new sin city

also waiting for "ida" on disc (polish movie, looks great)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
skip the Congress, it was AWFUL, we walked out after 25 min

thanks for the warning

btw, magic in the moonlight was cute but pretty average

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth