Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page World Chess Championship - Reunification Match
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who will emerge victorious?
Vladimir Kramnik (Russia) 13 100.00%
Veselin Topalov (Bulgaria) 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10.07.2006, 09:18 AM   #41
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Today sees game nine, and with things all square at four points apiece, it essentially becomes a four-game championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I would like to watch these games: Am I being a spazz in not being able to get them to work? I've got Java installed, but it's still being wrong.

It's finally working fine!

Today's game (currently in progress): http://www.worldchess2006.com/main.asp?id=1074

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2006, 04:47 PM   #42
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Kramnik won today!

Topalov 5 - 5 Kramnik...

...with two games to go. Cripes.

Old 10.10.2006, 01:27 PM   #43
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Blimey.

Topalov 5.5 - 5.5 Kramnik...

...with one game to go!

The issue now is that if Topolov wins tomorrow, Kramnik will refuse to see him as the chapion since one of his points was awarded by default, when there was no game 5. Kramnik has suggested that in the event, game 5 could be played straight after game 12.

Old 10.10.2006, 02:15 PM   #44
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Can you imagine the mental stress from playing for this long?

I'm amazed.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.10.2006, 02:20 PM   #45
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

They say that the strain of a top chess match equals a heavyweight boxing title fight, although so far as I know no chess champion has also held a heavyweight boxing belt. So as to how they know that I have no idea.

Old 10.10.2006, 02:24 PM   #46
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Tapalov has a boxers stare, however.

Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.10.2006, 02:49 PM   #47
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Another thing that can be said about Mr Topalov is that he has a very nice collection of ties indeed.

Old 10.10.2006, 02:55 PM   #48
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses

Since it's 4-4 and all tied up, I'll vote now and I do so for the Russian.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.10.2006, 03:38 PM   #49
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Open Letter of Carsten Hensel

Open Letter

To
FIDE President
H.E. Kirsan Illyumzhinov

To
Head of the 2006 Executive Committee
Mr. Valery Bovaev

Dear Mr President, Gentlemen,

Having received innumerable published and unpublished inquiries I would like to clarify, in the name of Vladimir Kramnik and his team, our position in the decision taken by FIDE regarding the fifth game of the current World Championship match.

1. As you know Vladimir Kramnik is playing the current match under protest. Nothing has changed in our attitude, which is documented by Kramnik’s actions around the fifth game and our statements, protests and letters:

29.09.2006: http://www.kramnik.com/eng/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=104
29.09.2006: http://www.kramnik.com/eng/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=104
02.10.2006: http://www.kramnik.com/eng/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=106
04.10.2006: http://www.kramnik.com/eng/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=107

Consistent with this standpoint Vladimir Kramnik will be playing this match, including a possible tiebreak, up to the last move under protest.
3. Should the decision of FIDE regarding the fifth game have any influence on the awarding of the World Championship title, with Mr Topalov receiving the title after being granted a free point for the unplayed game, Mr Kramnik declares unequivocally: “I will not recognize Mr Topalov as World Champion under these conditions, and I will take legal action against FIDE at the end of the World Championship.”
4. The damage done to Mr Kramnik in public opinion (e.g. the slander campaign) after the illegal release of private video images by the then FIDE Appeals Committee or the WCC 2006 Executive Committee to the Topalov team, and the subsequent release of these video images and private information of Mr Kramnik in his restroom to the mass media, as well as the interruption of the match, which broke Mr Kramnik’s concentration and playing rhythm, will all be part of the legal action which will be initiated.
5. As a sign of good will Mr Kramnik once again requests FIDE to arrange for game five to be played out on the board immediately after game 12. This in our opinion is the only way to alleviate the personal, sporting, judicial and ethical injuries that have been incurred by Mr Kramnik.

Elista, October 10, 2006
On behalf of Vladimir Kramnik
Yours sincerely
Carsten Hensel
(Manager to Vladimir Kramnik, Classical World Chess Champion)

Old 10.13.2006, 06:48 PM   #50
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

The final game was a very exciting draw, leaving it at 6 - 6 and a tiebreak situation:

3 PM (GMT +3) Tie Break 1 Topalov 0.5 - 0.5 Kramnik
4 PM (GMT +3) Tie Break 2 Kramnik 1 - 0 Topalov
5 PM (GMT +3) Tie Break 3 Topalov 1 - 0 Kramnik
6:08 PM Tie Break 4 Kramnik 1 - 0 Topalov

Vladimir Kramnik of Russia has won (sic) Veselin Topalov of Bulgaria in tie break games with the score 2.5 to 1.5. The total score of the Match is Vladimir Kramnik (8.5), Veselin Topalov (7.5)

10 votes to nil, the board was right.

Old 10.13.2006, 06:49 PM   #51
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Cghess it s for smnart people...NOT MY THANG!
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2006, 06:54 PM   #52
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
I just watched the highlights on the news.
Old 10.13.2006, 07:13 PM   #53
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Our television and radio news are yet to mention it. Philistines.

Old 10.13.2006, 07:34 PM   #54
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
The crowd cheered madly when Kramnik won the championship.
Old 10.14.2006, 01:42 PM   #55
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

It will never be forgotten that Kramnik acieved the seemingly impossible by deposing the incredible Garry Kasparov. It was never expected that anyone would do that, so I think that that makes Kramnik special in most people's eyes.

Immediately after Topalov extended his hand in a sign of resigning the 4th tiebreak game, the crowd became ecstatic. There were shouts, applause, friendly slaps and handshakes… Kramnik got off the table, threw his fists in the sky, just like in Moscow 1994 after his sensational victory over Kasparov, and got into tight embrace of his manager Hensel. Other team members were also there – Illescas, Rublevsky, Motylev, Krylov, Rösch, and even the cook… In a few minutes the new ‘absolute’ FIDE world champion moved to the press conference hall, where he was warmly met by dozens of journalists.

In a situation that was similar to yours Mikhail Tal said ‘My head is filled with sun!’ What were your first words after the match ended?
– I was very concentrated on the play, and even after I won the last game, I was still in a fighting mood. The moment after Veselin played 44…Rc5 was very emotional for me – I felt very happy. The joy passed after I replied 45.Rb7+. I need time to realize what happened. This was a very tough match, and I think I did a good job, considering the odds given to the opponent. Maybe it was the first case in the history of the world championship matches when one of the players had extra point and extra White. I am glad I managed to win under such circumstances.

What can you tell to your Russian supporters?
– I am very glad that the crown stays in Russia. Personally for me this achievement is comparable to the victory against Kasparov. There aren’t many three-time world champions in the history, and I hope I will not stop there… Considering the atmosphere around the match and behavior of the opposing team, winning the match was a matter of principle.

This match will now be extensively discussed within the chess community. Can you tell which tendencies of chess development it revealed?
– First of all, this was extremely tense match. Chess changes – for instance, nobody paid attention that there was not a single serious time trouble in 12 games. It is a significant step forward. People play faster and more practical, and the crisis occurs at fourth or fifth hour of play. This match signified certain tendencies of modern chess, which are still to be found. And the main conclusion, I repeat, is exceptionally high level of tension. There were no short draws at all. I think all chess fans are happy about it! Maybe not everybody is happy about my victory, though…

I got a feeling that chess fans’ delights were caused by the fact that the title was determined at a rapid pace. Maybe we should talk about speeding the play up?
– My opinion on time controls did not change. There are three controls in chess: classical, rapid and blitz. All three have the right to exist. They should supplement each other, like in tennis, where the games consist of three or five sets, depending on significance of the competition. I adhere to the opinion that the most important events must be held under classical time control; however, I am not against seeing many rapid tournaments. They are spectacular and attract the crowd. But classical chess must stay, at least for such matches. Classical chess has many supporters, and it is not out of place to say it has more than a century of history.

Do you consider symbolic that both players won games in their styles? Topalov won a tactical battle, and you converted two calm endings! Do you think you won the title because showed more versatility than Veselin?
– I am not sure about versatility, but I am objectively stronger in such positions as occurred in 2nd and 4th games – i.e., slightly better endings. I was somewhat lucky to get them. I handle them very well, I can say it without false modesty, while Veselin is not that good in them. I squeezed two wins out of nothing, so to speak, and he won an attacking ‘all-or-nothing’ game: g4, f5… In this regard the tiebreak was a litmus paper, revealing styles of the players. I am very glad that in the end I won one game more than Veselin.

Vladimir Belov, official match commentator, said that the tiebreak games turned nearly the most flawless in the match. What do you think about it?
– Flawless? I wouldn’t say that – just recall Topalov’s blunder in the Game 4 (albeit in a lost position), or my play in the Game 3… In principle, 25 minutes plus 10 seconds per move is sufficient amount of time to avoid bad mistakes. The struggle was nervous and tough, and I think the level of play is high enough for such circumstances.

Vladimir, after you won on the board, will you continue the duel in Arbitration Court in Lausanne?
– Let us not talk about sad things. I’d rather enjoy the moment of triumph and tell more about the games I won! I am not thinking about future right now, except for the match against the computer. I was so concentrated on the WCC match that I am not going to start making plans any soon. Today I have to relax and drink with my team and people who supported me in Elista. And only then we’ll start thinking…

Could you tell more about the match against Fritz10? Are you going to be the last man standing?
– I’m afraid it will be a very difficult match. Playing against computer is generally hard. Every year a tournament 3 vs. 3 is organized in Spain: three computer programs play against three top grandmasters. Last year there were Topalov, Ponomariov… And every human win there is seen as a great gift! I realize that I am not a favorite in that match. However, I really want winning it – not because of the money, but because this may be one of the last chances to beat the machine! I’ll do the best I can. After all, I have some experience playing against computer. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t have much time for preparation, but it can’t be helped. I am a professional.

How could you evaluate your team’s work at the match?
– I am highly satisfied with it. For some reason newspapers wrote that I implied about my dissatisfaction, but this is not true. If I said I got a worse position in the opening, it doesn’t mean that I am unhappy with anything. I am the only person responsible for the loss in the Game 9 – Black had no problems, but I found them… I am very pleased about both atmosphere in the team and boys’ determination…

What are your feelings now, as you leave Kalmykia?
– I feel deeply tired. But of course, Elista will become a memorable place for me – such events do not occur often. It was a very hard test – even harder than I expected – but the winner’s joy outweighs everything negative.

Old 10.14.2006, 01:45 PM   #56
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

I see someone has voted since the result was known. Splendid stuff. If I knew who you were, I'd happily rep you, sir/madam.

Old 12.06.2006, 09:20 AM   #57
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
i just saw that Kramnik lost against "Deep Fritz" yesterday:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6212076.stm

as the technology advances, it will be less and less likely that the human manages to win in such games between computers and humans...
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2006, 10:29 AM   #58
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

I think you're right. It's quite telling that the 4-2 result consisted of four draws amd two wins for Deep Fritz.

Old 06.05.2009, 08:26 PM   #59
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
just got into chess. good game.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2009, 10:54 AM   #60
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
I like playing chess, but I haven't followed the news in years.

yeh me either. i like to think that there is some cold war esque thing about these chess matches. dont ask why.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth