Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What religion are you?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.17.2007, 05:28 AM   #81
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
Those two statements contradict eachother.
Not exactly. One is the act of improving and the other is accomplishing the matter. It's a principle of most religions that people are never perfect. The self-satisfied have come to terms with their imperfections to where they feel they no longer need to improve. Those don't need religion and spoil it if they are (generally ending up like as described in Sonicl's post).

I, however, am self-satisfied in my spiritual/moral/whatever concerns (not smug but having no emptiness or inner conflict) so I don't feel the need to be of a religion.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2007, 12:19 PM   #82
Cardinal Rob
the destroyed room

Cardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a Pantheist.

Cardinal Rob is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2007, 12:29 PM   #83
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Whenever I think about pantheism I remember all the times I took a piss on a street corner.

I was pissing on God!
Old 05.17.2007, 12:29 PM   #84
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
agnostic.

religion is a joke, but some people "need" it, so yeah.. good for them. i believe there is a possibility in the existence of a divine being, but i would never conform to christian or whatever ridiculous constrictive shit religion you can randomly pick. scoff all you want, but i definitely side up with satanism more than any other religion: it gives you freedom and it preaches things that aren't evil but are fucking logical.

Satanism [proper] has a far greater and far stricter stratification than any other religion I can think of. At what point is that not 'constrictive'? Philosophically, I like a lot about Satanism, so don't think I'm getting at your obviously deep-seated religious convictions [cough], but I'm entirely of the conviction that shouting about your freedom is not, in any way, the same as realising what that freedom actually entails.

To other matters - Religion deals with matters of the spirit. 'Logic' is a strictly defined, man-made schemata. What has that got to do with spirituality?

Otherwise, good work on a slightly limp cheap shot. Returning in kind,

yours, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2007, 12:34 PM   #85
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
My parents never really talked about religion with me and my brother as a kid, so we kind of had to make the decision for ourselves. I went through fazes as a child where I'd randomly go down the road to this church on Sundays, but I realize now that I just liked that bread shit they gave you. I also used to prey when I was younger (what a waste of time that was). I've also tried to get into buddhism with no success.
I'm an atheist now and I pretty much always have been. I see no point in wasting my life believing in things that obviously aren't true.

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2007, 01:18 PM   #86
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMAh
I'm an atheist now and I pretty much always have been. I see no point in wasting my life believing in things that obviously aren't true.

Yikes.

I believe in God and I am not wasting my life. I doesn't make my life any worse- it probably makes it better. I feel good that I live by a set of guidelines that help make you a good person (in some respects).
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2007, 04:04 PM   #87
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Not exactly. One is the act of improving and the other is accomplishing the matter. It's a principle of most religions that people are never perfect. The self-satisfied have come to terms with their imperfections to where they feel they no longer need to improve. Those don't need religion and spoil it if they are (generally ending up like as described in Sonicl's post).

I, however, am self-satisfied in my spiritual/moral/whatever concerns (not smug but having no emptiness or inner conflict) so I don't feel the need to be of a religion.

Religion should only be for the unsatisfied? Use it as a tool for enlightenment and self-satisfaction, and then fuck it off once that goal is acheived?

The whole point of religion is pacifism and peace for everything, most religious folk and groups don't get this though.
Old 05.17.2007, 04:13 PM   #88
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
Religion should only be for the unsatisfied? Use it as a tool for enlightenment and self-satisfaction, and then fuck it off once that goal is acheived?
I believe I'm trying to say that the goal is impossible to achieve. It's when they just accept their moral imperfections that they no longer need religion.

It's like when somebody goes to confession in catholicism. If you no longer feel the need to confess, then get out of the kitchen... er church.
Old 05.17.2007, 04:14 PM   #89
macrodollar
little trouble girl

macrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard suckamacrodollar cold hard sucka
Agnostic humanist existentialist
macrodollar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2007, 04:22 PM   #90
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I believe I'm trying to say that the goal is impossible to achieve. It's when they just accept their moral imperfections that they no longer need religion.

I see what you're saying, but you could say that about anything, not just religion.

But again, religion is something you feel. It's not a choice in my opinion.
Old 05.17.2007, 07:04 PM   #91
Cardinal Rob
the destroyed room

Cardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Whenever I think about pantheism I remember all the times I took a piss on a street corner.

I was pissing on God!

I don't see it as that, exactly.

Cardinal Rob is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2007, 07:12 PM   #92
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Rob
I don't see it as that, exactly.
Yeah, I was kidding. I had my own pantheistic stint once.
Old 05.17.2007, 11:21 PM   #93
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I feel good that I live by a set of guidelines that help make you a good person (in some respects).

religion isnt just about being "good", that comes second... i guess its more about humbling yourself and acknowledging that you are bad which comes with a desire to do good. i dont agree with satanism because it basically encourages egotism and glorification of the self.
Old 05.17.2007, 11:46 PM   #94
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
for me, religion is one other way of reference to take the world and the things that happen in it.

as well as being a set of traditions that tie me with my family and people that come from the same place as me for generations past.

spirituality, another thing all together (although that shouldn't be in theory), is something that i can't quite put to words or anything.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2007, 11:55 PM   #95
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMAh
I see no point in wasting my life believing in things that obviously aren't true.

Well, if it's obvious to you they aren't true, then you wouldn't believe them, no?

I don't see how it's obvious that there is no higher power in the universe any more than it's obvious there is - it's going to come down to an individual's feelings, experience, and/or faith. I have very little of the latter, but a certain amount of the first two that makes me believe there is something out there.

The average "church down the street" is of little use, for me, in determining what, however.

Athiesm, from what I've seen and heard people say, is as much of a faith as any other religion.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2007, 12:26 AM   #96
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Anngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's asses
Agnostic atheist.

http://slouchingsunflowers.tumblr.com/
Anngella is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2007, 12:28 AM   #97
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Athiesm, from what I've seen and heard people say, is as much of a faith as any other religion.

'Word" as the kids say.
Old 05.18.2007, 03:41 PM   #98
Bastian
bad moon rising

Bastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a christian protestant atheist..

I don't know what to think of religion. I kinda agree with Christopher Hitchens who calls religion the greatest source of hatred in the world.
On the other hand, religion can be an inspiration to do good. Well, but atheism can be too, so.. anyways, I hold freedom of religion and the right to believe in whatever you want for a basic human right, and it doesn't look like religion is gonna go away anytime soon. Secularism can limit the damage religion causes though, so as long as there's seperation of the state and religion, the negative effect of religion can be limited.

Speaking of secularism, I'm really amazed to see one million people in Turkey demonstrate for secularism and against islamization of their country. Long live the turkish republic!
Bastian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2007, 04:05 PM   #99
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
earlier i said i have no religion, but...

i do worship the pussy, though.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth