Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Spiritual Psychelia
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.23.2011, 11:08 PM   #21
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Robert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
but that door was opened. And discussing psychedelic music without mentioning drugs is like discussing a grocery store without any food. Maybe that's just me.

The falsehood of that statement is the sole reason I started this thread in the first place.

This is a health food store.
Robert Schunk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2011, 01:51 AM   #22
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Robert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's asses
Someone else who disagrees with me:

Right now I'm watching "Keeping Score" on TV, and tonight's episode is about Gustav Mahler. It mentioned an incident from his childhood in which he stopped a synagogue service because he wanted to hear a polka instead of the plainchant the cantor was singing!
Old 06.24.2011, 06:53 AM   #23
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
That crazy Mahler...... you can't trust anything he says, did you know he saw a psychiatrist?!?!?
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2011, 07:52 AM   #24
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Not all that funny!

I, myself, suffer from a crippling anxiety disorder, and also receive psychiatric care.

I was just trying to indicate a difference in musical tastes.

Anyways, that new Target ad on TV reminded me of one of my favorite songs from my childhood, a song which I'd completely forgotten, called "Pictures of Matchstick Men" by Status Quo, which song appears, to me, to constitute a complaint by the narrator concerning his girlfriend's use of narcotic substances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHejhUFFX7w

Cheers, mate!
Old 06.24.2011, 05:51 PM   #25
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Schunk
The falsehood of that statement is the sole reason I started this thread in the first place.

This is a health food store.

So, you are saying that drugs are always unhealthy?
Old 06.24.2011, 10:54 PM   #26
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Ann Ashtray:

I was trying to start something beautiful by starting this thread.

Why are you trying to turn it into something tedious?

I'm just not going to participate in that discussion.
Old 06.25.2011, 09:54 AM   #27
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
I play in a space rock band, none of us needs drugs to find that kind of groove..... This kind of spiritual psych is so much more interesting than a bunch of peyote trippin' deadheads......

However Jerusalem is the kind of album that mixes both elements...... Rare to find something like that??
Old 06.25.2011, 09:58 AM   #28
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Ya Ho Wha
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2011, 09:25 PM   #29
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

The Watcher:

I put some of my music online (I'm a non-psychedelic solo act, mainly punk folk and blues), but I forgot where I put it. I'll try to dig it up and share it with you.

Do you have any music online that you'ld like to share?
Old 06.25.2011, 10:15 PM   #30
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Ya Ho Wha

Father Yod

(also, pm me some sorta mailing addy so I can send ya some coin).
Old 06.26.2011, 12:11 AM   #31
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

The Watcher:

FOUND IT!!!

Took me almost three hours!

ttp://www.myspace.com/williamrausch

Old 06.27.2011, 12:56 AM   #32
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Hey, c'mon, folks, why the silence?

If you don't like my music, let me know.

I'm a Sonic Youth fan, so you know I can take it!
Old 06.27.2011, 08:44 AM   #33
The Watcher
children of satan

I'll check it out, I'm rarely on a computer that can access myspace though so it might take me a while.....
Old 06.30.2011, 02:41 AM   #34
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I'll check it out, I'm rarely on a computer that can access myspace though so it might take me a while.....

Not a problem! I way understand!

But, my challenge wasn't addressed to you alone. Why haven't ANY of the readers of this thread commented on my music, positively or negatively?

C'mon, folks, I wana hear it!

If you think my music sucks, tell me.

If you have advice on what I could have done better (and I've definately improved "Moral Authority"), let me know.

If you love it, I can take that, too!
Old 06.30.2011, 06:16 AM   #35
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I imagine people are being polite. But as you asked for it, I'll just strike in with the lyrics: they are unbelievably self-involved and rubbish (meaning bad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2011, 06:58 AM   #36
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I imagine people are being polite. But as you asked for it, I'll just strike in with the lyrics: they are unbelievably self-involved and rubbish (meaning bad).

Thanks for your honesty.

I realize the lyrics are self-involved, but, then again, that's me.

I was actually trying to speak for my generation, but I guess I confused my generation with myself.

I am grateful for your insight.
Old 06.30.2011, 07:03 AM   #37
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i just smoked a morning joint and im going to listen to black flag on the way to work i dont care if its spiritually psychedelic or not

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2011, 07:09 AM   #38
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Gllce:

I just listened to the songs again, and I couldn't believe how my vocals lagged behind the beat on "Taxpayer Blues".

I'll try to do better next time.
Old 06.30.2011, 07:10 AM   #39
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
i just smoked a morning joint and im going to listen to black flag on the way to work i dont care if its spiritually psychedelic or not

Hey, I LOVE Black Flag, especially with Kieth Morris as lead singer!
Old 06.30.2011, 07:22 AM   #40
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Gllce:

I also noticed that I (accidentally) added an extra bar in the first interval of "Moral Authority", but I think it sounds cool, as it adds to the psychological tension within the song.

What do you think?

All content 2006 Sonic Youth