Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Spiritual Psychelia
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.22.2011, 11:33 PM   #1
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Robert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's asses
This is actually a good forum for this discussion, as SY's sound definitely has a psychedelic aspect to it.

Everybody seems to think that psychedelic music only has to do with drugs, without realizing that monastic plainsong (like Gregorian chant and similar music from religions around the world) is the original psychedelic music. Alanis Morissette's "Still" represents a modern pop-music version of spiritual psychedelia, as does George Harrison's "Within You Without You".

Many of the scriptures of the religions of the world contain a psychedelic aspect as well, such as the Gospel According to St. John and the Book of Revelation.

So, lay off the weed and pick up the sitar!
Robert Schunk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2011, 03:10 PM   #2
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Excellent topic! Owning a sitar has been a long standing goal of mine, but I have held off not for the price, but because when I buy a sitar I want to devote the appropriate amount of time to really learning it, as opposed to thrashing around like a fucking cock-eyed bandit. But it's infinitely more complex than playing the guitar, the scales of Indian classical are completely a 180 and rely as much on the time of day or mood as anything else.

In terms of music like this, of course Indian artists like Pandit Pran Nath (his first album Earth Groove is amazing), Ali Akbar Khan, Ravi Shankar and Vilayat Khan are all excellent, I'm a big fan of Shankars Live At The Monterey Pop Festival album, great recording, but there's tons of other stuff like Alice Coltrane, Idris Ackamoor & The Pyramids, Don Cherry, CODONA that represent a "spiritual" vibe, as well as tons of other artists more closely related ot psych like Amon Duul II, Ash Ra Tempel, Agitation Free, The Taj Mahal Travellers, Flower Travellin' Band...... and newer bands like Silvester Anfang/Sylvester Anfang II........
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2011, 03:10 PM   #3
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
PS: Drugs are not cool......
Old 06.23.2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Robert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
PS: Drugs are not cool......

I agree and a half!!
Old 06.23.2011, 06:23 PM   #5
mindbomb
little trouble girl

mindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's asses
I think one of the reasons I love Sonic Youth as much anyone is that their music has a lot of spirituality in it. The sonic textures in their songs get you understanding layers and thoughts that a typical music listener wouldn't give a second chance, at least at first. In fact, many people hate it, like your mother or something, who can't grasp the sensitive angst within. And even though there is anger in Sonic Youth's music, the band thrives on the sentimental even more so. I think the same thing being described as Gregorian Chant is the same thing that makes Sonic Youth an art/avant garde band. Not only that, but those sonic details, on the various albumns thus far, especially Day Dream Nation, have a way of describing spiritual thoughts of our inner-city youth, for those who come from that kind of lower-class/ghetto like background. Other albumns, like 1000leaves and Murray Street, you have all these cool sentiments in places that made getting high experimental, stretching what a few guitar chords and vocals could do in your brain in ways that made you know you had found the way at least for the time being. Yes, it did enhance spirituality. Spirituality, that was already there.
There is always someone that would open the door to 'What is spirituality?' Well, if I had to define it, I would say my signature comes close enough?
Old 06.23.2011, 07:28 PM   #6
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I get a psychedelic effect from repitition and grinding noise, you dont need drugs to feel it. Its a kind of hypnosis i suppose

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2011, 08:57 PM   #7
The Watcher
children of satan

there's a great comp out there called Step Into The New Age, full of spiritual jazz, wonderful stuff! That Joe Henderson is one spiritual motherfucker......
Old 06.23.2011, 09:03 PM   #8
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
P H A R O A H S A N D E R S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7EGQzn8e1k
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2011, 09:14 PM   #9
The Watcher
children of satan

Oh hell yeah, Black Unity is a sick album.... The Creator Has A Master Plan indeed heh heh heh.......
Old 06.23.2011, 09:35 PM   #10
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Drugs are never an issue...people are. No matter how one opts to look at it.

And I agree, it isn't necessary for for musicians to indulge in drugs in order to create music that has a spiritual (that term really confuses me) or "psychedelic" effect, but then again drugs have never really hurt matters either. I think weighing the "good" psychedelic music of drugs users vs. non-drugs users....those on drugs are usually more apt to win. Not all the time. Sometimes it doesn't even take years of heavy drug use...plenty of musicians/artists/everyday people have reported just one beautiful experience being enough to inspire them to go on and do many great things. of course, yeah....drugs have had negative effects on many too...but again, even in these cases it's the people, not the drugs.

Saying "drugs are not cool" and leaving at that without any explanation is a bit weird. I mean, what the fuck is "cool" anyway?

Anything that changes the way one feels or thinks is a drug. Music is a drug.
Old 06.23.2011, 10:18 PM   #11
The Watcher
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Saying "drugs are not cool" and leaving at that without any explanation is a bit weird. I mean, what the fuck is "cool" anyway

Why would it require an explanation.......
Old 06.23.2011, 10:22 PM   #12
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Why wouldn't it? I mean, you opened the door....
Old 06.23.2011, 10:29 PM   #13
The Watcher
children of satan

Could we just move this along and discuss music........
Old 06.23.2011, 10:38 PM   #14
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

mindbomb:

I love your signature!
Old 06.23.2011, 10:52 PM   #15
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Could we just move this along and discuss music........

Thanks for speaking for me.

Although Ann Ashtray made a valid point, and I thank her for her input, I request that any further discussion of the use of chemical substances as an inspiration for music be conducted on a new thread.
Old 06.23.2011, 10:54 PM   #16
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

If anyone wishes to discuss music by acts like Jimi Hendrix or Jefferson Airplane or the like, I'm fine with that, but, I really ask that we keep the discussion on the music.
Old 06.23.2011, 10:54 PM   #17
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

but that door was opened. And discussing psychedelic music without mentioning drugs is like discussing a grocery store without any food. Maybe that's just me.
Old 06.23.2011, 10:57 PM   #18
The Watcher
children of satan

This is why Ravi Shankar distanced himself from the hippie movement........
Old 06.23.2011, 10:59 PM   #19
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Here's a peace offerring: "Roomfull of Mirrors" by Jimi Hendrix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV5q73dr8VY
Old 06.23.2011, 11:06 PM   #20
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Schunk
Here's a peace offerring: "Roomfull of Mirrors" by Jimi Hendrix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV5q73dr8VY

Always a favorite.

I'm not bitter...just, adding an element to the conversation. About to leave...look forward to carrying on with this later.

All content 2006 Sonic Youth