Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Cassette Tape Love
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.21.2018, 09:20 AM   #21
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Back in the Summer of 2016, Lob Instagon was part of a FB Monthly Noise Tape Trade. On Monday I received this Instagon / Clutter tape that’s a nice mixture of garage jazz and coherent chill.

אש זרה

In a foreign town
In a foreign land
Reaping time had come
In fields of swaying rape
It could not happen here - Tibet

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2018, 02:38 PM   #22
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
I got a cassette player for my 7th birthday, and a few blank ones. I didn't really get music then, so I would just record myself talking whatever shit I thought was entertaining onto it.

Then one day after I got my phone taken off me (and so couldn't use Spotify), I went out into the garage to find our tape collection. The Wall, Out of Time, various mixtapes made by my father (whose handwriting is just as shit now as it was 20 years ago), and even I'm Too Sexy on cassingle.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.22.2018, 10:51 AM   #23
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Pretty cool your father once made mixtapes......what kind of stuff did he put on them? Have you purchased anything new/old on cassette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
I got a cassette player for my 7th birthday, and a few blank ones. I didn't really get music then, so I would just record myself talking whatever shit I thought was entertaining onto it.

Then one day after I got my phone taken off me (and so couldn't use Spotify), I went out into the garage to find our tape collection. The Wall, Out of Time, various mixtapes made by my father (whose handwriting is just as shit now as it was 20 years ago), and even I'm Too Sexy on cassingle.

אש זרה

In a foreign town
In a foreign land
Reaping time had come

Old 11.27.2018, 07:18 PM   #24
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Various Vol. 4, probably from the mid-90s:

Because a transcript is probably a good thing, here's a list of the songs on it, although I haven't listened through:
Side A: R.E.M. - Orange Crush / Bill Withers(?) - Lean on Me / Ugly Kid Joe(?) - Cats in the Cradle / (no idea, but my money's on Boyz II Men) - Thank You / (again, no idea) - Magic Touch
Side B: (no idea) Stay / Bob Seger - Old Time Rock 'n' Roll / Harry Connick Jr. - (I Could Only) Whisper Your Name / Radiohead - Creep / Elvis Presley - She's Not You
Old 11.28.2018, 02:33 AM   #25
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

I haven’t heard Ugly Kid Joe mentioned in years......that was their cover of the Cat Stevens classic. Thank You could be, Led Zeppelin and Magic Touch is probably, The Platters.

I’m guessing -Stay- is the Jackson Brown cover with -The Load Out- medley. Interesting mix of artist......if your dad was using a 60 minute tape, looks like a lot of silence at the end of each side.

Thx for posting the pic......do you ever listen to the tape?

אש זרה

In a foreign town
In a foreign land
Reaping time had come

Old 11.28.2018, 03:53 AM   #26
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

I don't listen to his tapes, although I did use a cassette-to-MP3 converter to get Creep off it (until I later pirated the album).

We talked about using Shazam or something to find the songs off the unlabelled ones and make playlists.
Old 11.28.2018, 10:09 AM   #27
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Current pickup deck contents: Coltrane Live at the Village Vanguard on one side/Jimmy McGriff Friday Cook County Jail on the other...Tyner vs O’Donnel Leavy...
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2018, 06:10 PM   #28
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
Current pickup deck contents: Coltrane Live at the Village Vanguard on one side/Jimmy McGriff Friday Cook County Jail on the other...Tyner vs O’Donnel Leavy...

The Coltrane/McGriff sounds nice!

Cassette Tape Love = This Explains It All

אש זרה

In a foreign town
In a foreign land
Reaping time had come

Old 12.10.2018, 06:53 PM   #29
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Dead-Air’s one time producer/co-host -Austin Rich- made me some mixtapes and I’m forever grateful : )

אש זרה

In a foreign town
In a foreign land
Reaping time had come

Old 12.10.2018, 07:15 PM   #30
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

Maybe I should start seriously investing myself into cassettes - try and buy a Walkman, and some hardware to get my own mixtapes.
Old 12.10.2018, 09:47 PM   #31
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

Update: this has inspired me, and I now have worked out how to get audio from my laptop to the cassette tape I got.

Problem: it sounds like absolute shit. I'm going to try turning down the volume of it on Audacity, maybe that'll fix it.
Old 12.10.2018, 10:02 PM   #32
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Adjusting the record volume will help a great deal. Also, recording over an old cassette tape / official album on cassette can sometimes prove difficult. Stick with it!!!

Quote:
Update: this has inspired me, and I now have worked out how to get audio from my laptop to the cassette tape I got.

Problem: it sounds like absolute shit. I'm going to try turning down the volume of it on Audacity, maybe that'll fix it.

אש זרה

In a foreign town
In a foreign land
Reaping time had come

Old 12.10.2018, 10:12 PM   #33
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

I think I've worked out the problem! In the few recordings I could get, the song always fucked itself the instant the bass kicked in. So by using Audacity to cut the lower frequencies (as well as leaving it to run), I'm able to get something that sounds fine!

I'm recording onto a blank tape anyway, although it is probably about a decade old.

Now to find 45 minutes of music to fill up a side!
Old 12.11.2018, 12:16 AM   #34
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

Okay, I let it run and recorded an entire side of music, just a random selection of my favourites.

It was able to transfer onto the tape, and cutting the bass improved the audio quality (it was barely listenable beforehand). That's about all the good news.

Unfortunately, the recording seemed to fluctuate between two volume extremes randomly - quiet and relatively clean, or loud and very fuzzy, making it nearly impossible to listen to without it driving you crazy.

This is no doubt because of the quality of the equipment I'm using - my laptop, Audacity, an unspecified double-end 3.5mm jack cable, and an old National Panasonic portable player. So I could definitely make better tapes in the future, but that would require an investment that I can't really do at this time (yay being 16 and broke )

EDIT: it also seems to only record one of the channels, which I discovered thanks to the intro to Black Hole Sun.

EDIT 2: I wonder if my grandparent's tape deck could work for this...
Old 12.11.2018, 12:55 AM   #35
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Quote:
EDIT 2: I wonder if my grandparent's tape deck could work for this...

Possibly, if it has built in auxiliary jacks?

אש זרה

In a foreign town
In a foreign land
Reaping time had come

Old 12.11.2018, 04:45 AM   #36
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I love tapes. Someone should start an international mixtape swap 🤔.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2018, 06:49 AM   #37
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Hello Pookie, nice to see you back poking around!

Hard to believe next month will be Nine Years since the last Mixtape Exchange.

Anyone remember Count Mencha......believe he was the last SYG member I exchanged mixtapes with.

Itís hard to believe there is enough interest for a group trade, but Iím willing......guessing Iíve purchased 75+ new cassette releases in 2018.

Also, I received a new Tascam dual deck last month for my birthday......and itís ready for mixtaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
I love tapes. Someone should start an international mixtape swap ��.

אש זרה

In a foreign town
In a foreign land
Reaping time had come

Old 02.22.2019, 01:52 PM   #38
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Celebrating The Happy News

אש זרה

In a foreign town
In a foreign land
Reaping time had come

Old 02.23.2019, 04:50 AM   #39
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
I bought a dual tape deck last week, a Teac, I got it for £3.60 on eBay
I'm up for doing a mixtape swap
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2019, 08:56 PM   #40
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Anyone interested in taking part in a old school cassette mixtape swap?

Surely a few of you are buying cassettes these days?? If not, youíre missing out on some great music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I bought a dual tape deck last week, a Teac, I got it for £3.60 on eBay
I'm up for doing a mixtape swap

אש זרה

In a foreign town
In a foreign land
Reaping time had come

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth