Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Ready to die - Iggy and the Stooges
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.23.2013, 05:26 PM   #21
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not fond of We Will Fall, nor I Need Somebody, and sometimes (often) I skip Gimme Danger but only because after Search and Destroy I need to move straight on to Your Pretty Face is Going To Hell!
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2013, 03:12 AM   #22
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I'm not fond of We Will Fall, nor I Need Somebody, and sometimes (often) I skip Gimme Danger but only because after Search and Destroy I need to move straight on to Your Pretty Face is Going To Hell!
To me whole Raw Power is just dynamite! And Gimme Danger is one of my favourites in it (others are Search & Destroy, Penetration, Raw Power & Shake Appeal, so almost the whole album). I think both Gimme Danger & I need somebody bring a little change to the atmosphere of the album, I think the album would have been a little boring if there had been only that kind of rock-pieces like Search & Destroy. Itīs the same reason why I love most of the Stones albums so much, there are always those Stones-rockers, but then there are also some songs that go to the somewhere else.

About the Ron & James as a guitarist, I really like also Ronīs style. But I think James took the whole thing a lot higher level, so thatīs the reason why I think Raw Power is their best album.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2013, 05:17 AM   #23
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
For the longest time I didn't appreciate Raw Power much. I thought it was a bit too straight forward (for what my taste was at the time...), and much preferred the weirdness (no pun intended...) of Ron Asheton's playing. I eventually came to point to weird I enjoyed the occasional "softer" elements of the record, i.e. the ballads. Dark and bluesy. When Ronnie died and there was some word on the street talk of Williamson coming back on board, I tore the album apart and realized it has something to say that I felt historically, and personally, I could identify with. It's wild and crazy as fuck. It's not the "I'm bored let's do drugs and hang out and be sexually frustrated" teenage thing often heard on the first two records. It's a drug addled pissed off Iggy. It's "I'm poor, yr rich, fuck you. Fuck everything". I could identify with that sort of progression at the time. I still can sometimes. There, for me, is no filler on that record. The whole album, sonically while some songs are better than others, is just wild/pure emotion. Not many records pull this off so well. Very few do. Too few do. I think, lyrically, it's Iggy in tip-top form.

As far as the first record, goes...I think it's a good introduction to things to come. It's young, it's honest. The music is interesting but that Fun House...lordy....what a fucking record. My favorite "rock" album of all time. I still swear by if anyone doesn't like it, then they don't truly like punk rock. Those guys might have taken some notes from the Doors/etc, but they pushed that to an extreme. They weren't speaking for the hippies...they were speaking for those few other weirdos that might have been associated with hippies, but were anything but. I think those old Stooges records still have the same effect on people today. It can be "fun", but there is something far deeper there. Something worthy of thought. Something I don't think was really intended for everyone to get...hence the brutal honesty that for me was always...and still is...the Stooges. Pure ass American middle class white boy blues rock n roll. That's what Iggy wanted to create, quite specifically. As a young person, before the Stooges, he came to Chicago to drum for some of the older blues guys. He, all of the Stooges, loved blues. He didn't always identify directly with some of the issues many of the older black blues guys were expressing, but he felt the honesty of it...and whilst sitting on the water, on some dock, in a place I can't yet but hope to some day find, he made the decision to create his own version of the music he so loved. No one's done it better. No one.

If you're looking for filler, ya can find it. You can find it on most any album by most any artist. With the Stooges I never really hear it though. But then again, I'm not looking for it. I feel no need to. I love those albums that much.

I saw them live last year. To date, one of the best rock shows I've ever seen. On par with Mudhoney.
Old 05.24.2013, 08:54 AM   #24
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
Which post-Lust for life iggy material is worth the dough?

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2013, 01:17 AM   #25
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
yea, agree on the whole blues influence on The Stooges. i would go so far to say they had the most, besides Captain Beefheart, unique white interpretation of the blues of all the others. "Dirt" is srly ill.

The Stooges basically distilled music and blues into some freudian art concept of sex as the basis of life drive and pain.

ever heard "Slliding the Blues" from the Fun House box set? it slays a band like Cream.

Of course. Sliding the blues is sick, man. Ron always knew what the fuck he was doing.
Old 05.25.2013, 01:21 AM   #26
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

As far as non Stooges Iggy...

Kill City with James Williamson is a kickass record.

Of course, The Idiot

One Iggy record few ever mention is Zombie Birdhouse. I highly suggest the track "Street Crazies". The whole album is decent though. Not his best, but very good.

Basically anything he did that wasn't dumbed down 80's rock (yeah, unfortunately he moved into that direction) has it's moments. Preliminaires that came out a few years ago was interesting. Not great, but interesting.
Old 05.25.2013, 02:57 AM   #27
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Funhouse was the shit. Remember liking a lot of the first reord but don't really remember it. I remember disliking Raw Power a lot. I just didn't get all the hype. I should give it another try it was a long time ago.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2013, 05:37 AM   #28
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
Funhouse was the shit. Remember liking a lot of the first reord but don't really remember it. I remember disliking Raw Power a lot. I just didn't get all the hype. I should give it another try it was a long time ago.

One of my favorite times to listen to Raw Power is when I'm out driving around.
Old 05.25.2013, 06:04 AM   #29
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
One of my favorite times to listen to Raw Power is when I'm out driving around.

hahah does it make you drive fast? I noticed a while ago my driving is affected by the music that plays in my stereo. Like chill music and I drive more realxed but I put on some fast loud shit and I drive faster and more aggressive. I do it subconsciously but I noticed one day and now I notice all the time after the fact.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2013, 06:19 AM   #30
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
To me there are no fillers of any of those three albums. If I have to say one filler, it will be We Will Fall, but on the other hand I like it very much too & itīs hard to imagine first album without that tune. To me perfect album doesnīt mean every song in it is perfect. Itīs the entity. Or do somebody say every song is perfect for example in SY DDN?
I love all those 3 albums from start to finish. I think We Will Fall is a great song, certainly in the context it was put in.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.25.2013, 06:31 AM   #31
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like that song much better if it wasn't for all the "tra la room papaa" type stuff
Old 05.25.2013, 07:25 AM   #32
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
That's one my favourite things going on about that song.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2013, 12:11 AM   #33
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
hahah does it make you drive fast? I noticed a while ago my driving is affected by the music that plays in my stereo. Like chill music and I drive more realxed but I put on some fast loud shit and I drive faster and more aggressive. I do it subconsciously but I noticed one day and now I notice all the time after the fact.

I've never been much of a fast driver (overly cautious and paranoid by nature), but it makes me want to...sure.
Old 05.26.2013, 12:17 AM   #34
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
That's one my favourite things going on about that song.

Agreed.

You probably know already, but that was Dave Alexander's only solid musical contribution to the band (sans drumming on the first two records). The whole chanting thing was his idea.
Old 05.27.2013, 03:26 AM   #35
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_ladyland
Which post-Lust for life iggy material is worth the dough?
Naughty Little Doggie is quite good (of course not like Lust For Life). I also liked American Caesar when it came, but I donīt have it anymore, so itīs hard to say does it still sounds good to me. I have never loved any Iggyīs solo as much as those three Stooges album. I also love Gimme Some Skin-compilation although the sound quality is in b-side quite poor.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2013, 06:18 AM   #36
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
oh, and i disagree about the Stooges being a punk band. these guys were sexual cosmonauts. the punks just took their sound and trashed and thrashed it up without any groove or feel.

Yeah, Funhouse is the most sexual record ever made.

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth