Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page bad religion appreciation thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.24.2010, 10:37 AM   #21
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
yuck!
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2010, 11:23 AM   #22
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Bad Religion are awesome. What's wrong with you people?

An album like Against the Grain is just melody after melody of brilliance.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2010, 11:28 AM   #23
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Meh
Old 08.24.2010, 11:42 AM   #24
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
bad religion is boring. never got into them. hated that "melodic hardcore" sound, like gorilla biscuits and shit, without the humor.

and bad brains were among the FIRST hardcore bands, and they were awesome and they are awesome. and go buy BLACK DOTS motherfuckers, and listen to some hardcore and throw away the bad religion.
Old 08.24.2010, 12:03 PM   #25
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Good band in the early 80's.
Then they split, reunite and turn very bad (like most band who reunite)
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2010, 12:22 PM   #26
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
bad religion is boring. never got into them. hated that "melodic hardcore" sound, like gorilla biscuits and shit, without the humor.

and bad brains were among the FIRST hardcore bands, and they were awesome and they are awesome. and go buy BLACK DOTS motherfuckers, and listen to some hardcore and throw away the bad religion.
I think Bad Religion is way more interesting than Bad Brains or whoever.. brilliant melody after melody of guitar interplay and fantastic vocals that don't just follow the guitar at all times. Many hardcore bands never had that, you should stop being a purist.
Old 08.24.2010, 02:11 PM   #27
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Early Bad Religion are brilliant, unless you only like simple tired generic boring 3 chord punk crap. They're fantastic, one of the few punk bands I can listen to besides Wire (who got over the "punk" thing very quickly), Misfits, and Descendents. I guess I can see someone not into Bad Religion if they don't like melody, or aren't into interesting songwriting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
yuck!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2010, 02:12 PM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
ALL AGES is probably the best greatest hits collection EVER.
Old 08.24.2010, 04:13 PM   #29
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
The coolest thing about Bad Religion is their logo. But even that's sorta lame, due to it being associated with them.

I bet you think Alkaline Trio is pretty bitchin' too, eh?
Old 08.24.2010, 04:19 PM   #30
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

No, I don't, and they don't sound anything alike, so what's your point? I'm sitting here, trying to think of any association whatsoever they have with each other, and the only conclusion I can come up with is you've probably never bothered listening to any of the classic Bad Religion albums.

Anyway, Bad Religion straight-up has some of the best harmonies EVER; beautiful 3 part harmony vocals.. amazing. Melodically creative, great riffs, fast-as-hell, intelligent lyrics (and I don't care about lyrics); most bands will never write a song half as good as Walk Away, the Generator and Against the Grain title tracks, I Want Something More, etc.

Here's All Ages (46mb): http://www.mediafire.com/?za1umkmz0zz ...
Old 08.24.2010, 04:22 PM   #31
Derek
invito al cielo

Against the FUCKING GRAIN! One of the best punk albums ever.

Everything up to Recipe For Hate is essential, I can't believe the hate this band gets from people on this forum. Fuck the fans, fuck the 'image', fuck the 'scene', fuck the history; it's just GREAT music.
Old 08.24.2010, 04:23 PM   #32
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
No, I don't, and they don't sound anything alike,

Really? They both sound like complete shit to me!

Old 08.24.2010, 04:25 PM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Derek, there's no reason to get upset about it; a lot of people just flat out write off good music because they don't like their fans, and they heard one random song on some skateboarding game and now associate the entire band with that one song and their annoying fanbase. That's not just this forum, it's the entire internet; it's people, in general. I just don't personally understand why people unfamiliar with a band bother replying negatively to an appreciation thread. I am critical of certain bands -- boring ass Deer Hunter, wankfest Mars Volta, and whatever -- but I actually listen to their albums, often multiple times, before I make an informed opinion about their work. And in cases where I simply can't get through an album (see In Rainbows, which I've made it through, but I found it nearly impossible to sit through it in one sitting -- it's their shortest work and fels like their longest), I make a point to mention that to. I don't honestly believe most of the people writing off BR have actually sat down and listened -- really listened -- to any of their work, but that's okay. If they don't want their lives enhanced by melodically complex and brilliant music, that's their loss. Either way, you can tell which people haven't really even bothered listening to their work, because it's the ones who can't even form an opinion beyond "they suck." I think it's a lot more interesting to break down why a band sucks. For example, In Rainbows -- the most overrated album to ever exist -- sucks because the vocals are shockingly bad (and there's a lot of them; I am starting to think the only reason Kid A and Amnesiac are so great is becuase Thom didn't sing too much, and when he did his voice was usually buried or effected), there isn't any creativity (songs that aren't even as good as the worst songs on Hail to the Thief, some tired boring electronics with some boring midtempo Pablo Honey-esque rockers; what the fuck?!), and ... well, jsut the lyrics.. it's Thom Yorke's sexy album... he's trying to be romantic.. it's almost like a Radiohead parody... anyway... that's a lot more interesting, and can open up further avenues of discussion, than just saying "OH THEY SUCK"
Old 08.24.2010, 04:26 PM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Really? They both sound like complete shit to me!

I know they're not as melodically pleasing and rifftastic as the latest Twitzid joint, man, but they're trying. Give 'em a break!
Old 08.24.2010, 04:27 PM   #35
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

No need for the link, Adam. I have Rhapsody, and am giving All Ages a shot right now. I'm only on the first track, but his voice is wretched...I don't know how much more of this I can take.

PS: The latest Twiztid cd is awful.
Old 08.24.2010, 04:33 PM   #36
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

His voice is melody-tastic, and I love melodies. He has great control over it. And all those harmonies.. man.

The best songs on All Ages are You Are the Government, The Answer, Against the Grain, Generator, Anesthesia, No Control, Atomic Garden, No Direction, Automatic Man, Change of Ideas, Walk Away. The guitar interplay in Generator is amazing. Is that finger tapping?
Old 08.24.2010, 04:33 PM   #37
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I saw BR a week or so ago. Honestly one of the dullest shows I've ever been to. I listened to some of their stuff afterwards - utterly shite. But, on the other hand, I think there's something very wrong with British people getting it. IMO and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2010, 04:36 PM   #38
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
I never was one of those that looked for strong melodies within punk rock, which isn't to say there isn't some stuff out there that I dig (Wipers...)

Bad Religion WERE ok...but never one of my favorites. There's just so much better stuff from that era of punk rock.
Old 08.24.2010, 05:04 PM   #39
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
I was obsessed with them for a few years. Went to 2 of their shows back in the 90s. Grew out of it and back into the youth. I bought generator a few months ago cause it reminds me of hangin with ryan my senior year.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2010, 05:24 PM   #40
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Man, I don't get the hate. Bad Religion are fucking awesome! Against the Grain is one of the greatest punk rock albums of all time. That record has some of the most inspired an inspiring punk songs I've ever heard. I mean c'mon, Walk Away, Against the Grain, Faith Alone, Modern Man!? Classics.

The last awesome album they put out was The Empire Strikes First. That one came out at the height of the Bush regime's insanity, and the band sounds so fucking pissed off. The drumming on that album is fucking awesome.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth