Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Health-Health
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.06.2007, 12:39 PM   #1
cellscape
little trouble girl

cellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to behold
Anyone seen or heard of this band. Pitchfork wrote a review on them yesterday comparing them to Boredoms, Deerhoof, and Liars. That alone caught my attention.
cellscape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2007, 12:59 PM   #2
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, if someone could up this....thatd be great...

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2007, 02:11 PM   #3
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
why don't you go and buy it if you need to hear it so bad? Oh yes you'd rather steal from a new band. .
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2007, 02:36 PM   #5
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
nvm...i found it elsewhere...ill give it a listen...

tesla, if i like it, ill buy it...i got tired of buying shite just because of a few good reviews/comparisons to bands i like...most of it turns out to be not good...the stuff that is good, i will buy...specially since mp3s suck

Old 11.06.2007, 02:45 PM   #6
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm just testing - I don't buy the 'all music should be free' arguement.

Please post a review or give us an idea what it sounds like - pitchfork is about the last place I'd look for knowledge. DNT is alright in my book.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2007, 03:07 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, honestly, i think i've mentioned pitchfork a couple of times on this and the old board (of my near-4000 posts on this board and 7000 on the old board..)............... and at this point, I kinda wish I hadn't. The mention of Pitchfork should be banned forever on this board. Not the word "fuck", not the word "nigger", not the word "cunt"; pitchfork is much more of a dirty word.

Fuck pitchfork.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i wasn't aware people still read pitchfork, i know i haven't since like 2005...i think i saw their end of the year list (they put boris' pink, right?) and that was it.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2007, 03:25 PM   #9
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
I read Pitchfork. Things are maybe different for me that lives in french, but there there is almost ZERO magazine that reviews interesting music.

As for Health, I saw the same review as you did and it caught my attention too, so I listened to the tracks on their myspace, they're pretty good. Very tribal, cool vocals, I enjoyed it
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2007, 03:59 PM   #10
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i live in mexico which, if france has zero magazines, then mexico has ABSOLUTE ZERO anything to review cool music...hell, i don't even know that many people who listen to good current stuff.

yet the internet has like millions of places to check out for info and news and, yes reviews...actually, i thought having access to the internet meant you could contrast and compare reviews and such.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2007, 04:24 PM   #11
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Health a few weeks ago, they were pretty damn cool. Not so sure if all of those references are very accurate though.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2007, 04:48 PM   #12
cellscape
little trouble girl

cellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to beholdcellscape is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, I'm not really sure if my inquiry was meant to be a signal for anyone's opinions on what internet sites I choose to go to to read music reviews or anyone's opinion on whether or not I should rush to the store(which doesn't have the cd anyway), to buy an album I haven't heard. I simply read the summary of the review, it seemed interesting, and I know some people here have similar taste in music as I do. Thanks for those that offered useful information.

Oh, and I steal shitloads of music on line, much of it based off Pitchfork reviews. Thank you.
Old 11.07.2007, 01:25 PM   #13
davenotdead
invito al cielo

first impression: its kinda interesting....not amazing o anything...

Old 11.07.2007, 02:56 PM   #14
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i wasn't aware people still read pitchfork, i know i haven't since like 2005...i think i saw their end of the year list (they put boris' pink, right?) and that was it.

Pitchfork is ridiculous. This little indie wannabe kid in my computer class reads it everyday. He was looking at a review of The White Stripes new album the other day. I check it like once a week out of boredom to see if they mention any albums I forget are coming out.
Old 11.07.2007, 04:03 PM   #15
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
We are 138
We are 138
We are - 138!

WE ARE 138
WE ARE 138
WE ARE
138!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11.07.2007, 04:10 PM   #16
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Pitchfork is ridiculous. This little indie wannabe kid in my computer class reads it everyday. He was looking at a review of The White Stripes new album the other day. I check it like once a week out of boredom to see if they mention any albums I forget are coming out.

I just wrote about 7 lines comparing Pitchfork to the NME, then deleted it because i dont care about either. I think this makes me a stronger person inside.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 04:38 PM   #17
cellscape
little trouble girl

I think when you stoop to wasting a bunch of energy critiquing the so call holier than though Indie dork critics at Pitchfork, your pretty much sinking to the same level to some degree. I mean who fucking cares. If you don't like their opinion don't read the reviews. But if you want to hear their opinion read it. I personally don't usually agree with Fox news, George Bush, or Al Jazeera, but I listen to all of them from time to time to see what people are thinking or how they are destroying our country. That's just me. As far as Pitchfork goes, its a pretty good resource for finding music as far as I'm concerned. Its not my Indie/music bible, but I'd be surprised if anyone hear hasn't discovered some band through their site directly or indirectly. It also gets real slow at work sometimes. Some times I surprise myself with what I end up reading about.
Old 11.07.2007, 04:46 PM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Prepare to be shocked: Pitchfork has never once influenced me to check out a band.

The best website to discover new music for me is probably Wikipedia, though they don't have a lot of the more obscure stuff, so I will put an, uhm, "obscure" band (like Darth Vegas or Invincible Czars or something) on my soulseek wishlist and then browse the files of people who like that band. Another good website, somehow, is amazon, because I've found some pretty cool shit on the Listmanias!. The only other thing worth checking out, for me, is various blogs I've stumbled on and found some good shit. Any uhm -- what is pitchfork considered? -- "indie music review" websites usually lead me to disappointment. My tastes aren't so amazingly obscure that I can't appreciate the music pitchfork covers, it's more so that I think their reviewers are complete fucktards. Their reviews are EMBARASSING. I'm not even talking about NYC Ghosts and Flowers and Zaireeka getting 0.0's while ...And You Will Know Us By Our Long Name getting a 10/10... I mean, yeah, that shit's ridiculous, but some of their other reviews.. Payola is fucking ridiculous. Does anyone remember that one time the main editor of pitchforkmedia got his email account hacked into and someone found all those files with the receipts from labels/bands paying them (and then, afterwards, getting a GREAT review)? That was hilarious, I can't remember what message board that was, but I remember someone linking to it on the old sonic youth board. Hilarious times. Pitchfork is the epitome of rotten. Like I said, I don't typically trust any of those sites, but tinymixtapes has some cool interviews and stylus had that one awesome feature where the guy listened to the whole merzbox.

Old 11.08.2007, 08:35 AM   #19
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
We are 138
We are 138
We are - 138!

WE ARE 138
WE ARE 138
WE ARE
138!!!!!!!!!!!

my thoughts exactly, (is there any issue on which we cannot reliably turn to Glenn for guiDANCE?)
uh and i saw them a while back and thought health were pretty good, didn catch the whole show but not because they were no goog or nothing, it was just a rilly long way home. many flourescent hoodies about if that describes anything.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2007, 01:45 PM   #20
cellscape
little trouble girl

I'm not shocked that Pitchfork hasn't influenced you, I just don'y understand why you put so much emphasis in something that doesn't appeal to you. I don't really go to pitchfork to critique them or their reviewers. Usually their reviews ramble on into such tangents that I loose interest after the basic summary of the cd. But still I have found some useful news from the site and some nice info on Dubstep and other interviews from bands I like. Sounds to me like you really let this site get under your skin. I'm sure the reviewers don't loose a lot of sleep over your opinions of them. Anyway, your entitled to run around and be furious and embarrased over there reviews and boycott them all you want, but I'll continue to to use the site for information when I feel like it even if I don't consider all their opinions credible or on par with my own. Have you tried smoking pot?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth