Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page post comething completely irrelevant!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.04.2007, 03:43 PM   #1761
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
...until the handle breaks off and you have to see a doctor to get it removed.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2007, 04:34 PM   #1762
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Prehistoric Polynesians beat Europeans to the Americas, according to a new analysis of chicken bones.

The work provides the first firm evidence that ancient Polynesians voyaged as far as South America, and also strongly suggests that they were responsible for the introduction of chickens to the continent - a question that has been hotly debated for more than 30 years.

Chilean archaeologists working at the site of El Arenal-1, on the Arauco Peninsula in south-central Chile, discovered what they thought might be the first prehistoric chicken bones unearthed in the Americas. They asked Elizabeth Matisoo-Smith at the University of Auckland, New Zealand, and colleagues to investigate.

The group carbon-dated the bones and their DNA was analysed. The 50 chicken bones from at least five individual birds date from between 1321 and 1407 - 100 years or more before the arrival of Europeans.

Two-week journey

However, this date range does coincide with dates for the colonization of the easternmost islands of Polynesia, including Pitcairn and Easter Island.

And when the El Arenal chicken DNA was compared with chicken DNA from archaeological sites in Polynesia, the researchers found an identical match with prehistoric samples from Tonga and American Samoa, and a near identical match from Easter Island.

Easter Island is in eastern Polynesia, and so is a more likely launch spot for a voyage to South America, the researchers say. The journey would have taken less than two weeks, falling within the known range of Polynesian voyages around this time, says Matisoo-Smith.

First real evidence

Other researchers have found indirect evidence that Polynesians might have made it to the Americas before Europeans. "But this is the first concrete evidence - not something based on a similarity in the styles of artefacts or a linguistic similarity," says Matisoo-Smith.

It is also the first clear evidence that the chicken was introduced before the Europeans arrived.

Genetic studies of modern South Americans have not uncovered any signs of Polynesian ancestry. But this is not surprising, says Matisoo-Smith. Ancient Polynesians were great explorers, but tended to settle only in uninhabited islands.

It seems that if they found other people, they would usually turn around and go home, she says.

Journal reference: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (DOI: 10.1073/pnas.0703993104)

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2007, 04:50 PM   #1763
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Certainly there aren't enough New Worlders who care about football (soccer) that frequent the board to start a thread, but I for one am excited about our continental championship starting this week. Lacking all talent and prestige of the European Championships, The Gold Cup is still important to some...

Gold fever hits CONCACAF
(FIFA.com) Monday 4 June 2007

Wednesday marks the start of the ninth instalment of the biannual CONCACAF Gold Cup - the region's international championship. Running from 6 to 24 June in six cities across the USA, the competition, once called the CONCACAF Championship but re-named the Gold Cup in 1991, will feature 12 teams as varied as the tiny French Caribbean holding of Guadalupe to mighty four-time champions Mexico and holders and hosts USA.

The favourites
With four Gold Cup titles to their name, Mexico will be considered one of the top contenders at these finals. With head coach and former El Tri playing legend Hugo Sanchez leading a side built with entertainment in mind (Adolfo 'Bofo' Bautista, Cuauhtémoc Blanco and Rafa Marquez have all been in included) the Mexicans will be one to watch in the States this June. Not to be ignored are defending champions USA. After edging plucky Panama on penalties in the 2005 edition, new boss Bob Bradley is bringing a side to the finals loaded with overseas talent and domestic-standouts. Former Tico playing star Hernan Medford will also be keen on steering Central American champions Costa Rica to new glories with the likes of top all-time scorer Rolando Fonseca and Alonso Solis plugging into the leader roles after the retirement of iconic Paulo Wanchope.

The hopefuls
Crowned champions of the Caribbean for the first time back in late January, island hopefuls Haiti will be capable of causing a sensation in the States. With the deck stacked against them due to political and social strife on the island, the neutral fans are bound to be behind the talented and tough tackling Haitians too. Coached by Luis Amelio Garcia, Haiti will be hoping to make a mark in only their third appearance at a Gold Cup and counting on the likes of Nantes man Jean-Jacques Pierre to lead the charge. Canada - shock Gold Cup winners in 2001 - are looking to stunt a recent trend of underperforming with Dwayne De Rosario, Atiba Hutchinson and Deportivo la Coruna standout Julian DeGuzman in the squad. Guatemala, too, who only just missed out on a spot at Germany 2006 will be fancying their chances with the likes of MLS ace marksman Carlos 'El Pescadito' Ruiz in attack while Trinidad & Tobago, 2005 finalists Panama and 1991 finalists Honduras arrive in the USA with their best sides in years.

The outsiders
One of the tremendous sensations of the qualifying rounds was the run of tiny Caribbean islanders Guadeloupe. Technically an overseas department of France, the island of 436,000 inhabitants use the Euro as their official currency. But among the clutch of talented but anonymous amateurs that make up the 'national' team is one name not to be overlooked. Former France, PSG, Marseilles, Inter and Valencia midfielder Jocelyn Angloma - now 41 - was born in Abymes on the island and is eligible to line up. Though advanced in years, his play in the qualifiers was nothing short of stellar and the side's hopes will be pinned on his broad shoulders. Two-time quarter-finalists El Salvador and a Lester More-inspired Cuba, known perennially for their technical ability but often wanting in the organisational side of things, round out the field and will be hoping for increased respect and unexpected results.

The winner of the 2007 Gold Cup will go on to represent CONCACAF on the world stage at the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup in South Africa.

2007 CONCACAF Groups - 6-13 June:
Group A:
Costa Rica
Canada
Haiti
Guadeloupe

Group B:
USA
Guatemala
Trinidad & Tobago
El Salvador

Group C:
Mexico
Honduras
Panama
Cuba
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2007, 04:53 PM   #1764
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Surely only Mexico and the US are the only competitors likely to take the title. It would be a big dissappointment if anyone else took it, as it would show a huge backward step for those two.

I'm rooting for Honduras, because I remember watching them in a World Cup finals (Spain 1982, I think) when I was younger.

Is there a Gold Cup 2007 logo?

Old 06.04.2007, 04:56 PM   #1765
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

I have three main memories of the 1982 World Cup:

1. Honduras
2. Northern Ireland beating Spain
3. Naranjito the orange, the very cool World Cup logo.

Old 06.04.2007, 04:56 PM   #1766
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
It appears that I may allergic to diphenhydramine. Which is an antihistamine. Used for the treatment of allergies.

Fun, huh?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2007, 04:57 PM   #1767
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Antihistamines are strange things, aren't they? Some work really well for me whilst others have absolutely no effect at all.

Bad luck sonic. Hopefully there will be others that you can still take.

Old 06.04.2007, 05:00 PM   #1768
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I'll wait for the side-effects of the last antihistamine to wear off before I try another one, I think. I am one big rash at the moment, and I cannot sleep for the itching.
Old 06.04.2007, 05:02 PM   #1769
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Its a similar logo used for the past three of four Gold Cups.

Our winning team in 2005:

Mexico is due for a victory against us, so it would not surprise me to see them take it all, though I hope not. As that would be unbearable. Guatemala or Costa Rica could surprise a few outside of this region, but they've got a reputation for being tricky in this competition. Haiti could come out of Group A too, as all of their group stage games will be played in Miami, where there is a HUGE Haitian population. The Orange Bowl will be a Haitian madhouse this week.
Old 06.04.2007, 05:03 PM   #1770
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
I'll wait for the side-effects of the last antihistamine to wear off before I try another one, I think. I am one big rash at the moment.

Hope it clears up soon.

When I was younger I was allergic to an antiseptic cream called Germoline. A little while after putting it on a cut or whatever I'd get sees of bright lights then faint.

Old 06.04.2007, 05:05 PM   #1771
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
Its a similar logo used for the past three of four Gold Cups.

Our winning team in 2005:

Mexico is due for a victory against us, so it would not surprise me to see them take it all, though I hope not. As that would be unbearable. Guatemala or Costa Rica could surprise a few outside of this region, but they've got a reputation for being tricky in this competition. Haiti could come out of Group A too, as all of their group stage games will be played in Miami, where there is a HUGE Haitian population. The Orange Bowl will be a Haitian madhouse this week.

That's a nice enough design. Are Haiti actually any good, normally?

Old 06.04.2007, 05:07 PM   #1772
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
I have three main memories of the 1982 World Cup:

1. Honduras

I wasn't alive to see this World Cup, but I know Honduran (illegal?) immigrants in Omaha who still grin from ear to ear when talking about the 82 World Cup.
Old 06.04.2007, 05:10 PM   #1773
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

We'll say Haiti is decent at best. They would probably be a regional powerhouse if the country as a whole would improve. Troubled little island.
Old 06.04.2007, 05:11 PM   #1774
sonicl
invito al cielo

Haiti really isn't a nation that I associate with sport. Papa Doc Duvallier is the only thing I associate with Haiti, and he wasn't a very nice man. The only sport I could imagine him encouraging is the five second head start before he opens fire.
Old 06.04.2007, 05:11 PM   #1775
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

By the way, Stephen, your tape came in today!
Old 06.04.2007, 05:15 PM   #1776
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Haiti really isn't a nation that I associate with sport. Papa Doc Duvallier is the only thing I associate with Haiti, and he wasn't a very nice man. The only sport I could imagine him encouraging is the five second head start before he opens fire.

Grimm.

I think of Haitian music, not limited to Wyclef Jean.

Old 06.04.2007, 05:15 PM   #1777
sonicl
invito al cielo

Quote:
By the way, Stephen, your tape came in today!
Splendid! I had fun compiling that one.
Old 06.04.2007, 07:01 PM   #1778
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
I wasn't alive to see this World Cup, but I know Honduran (illegal?) immigrants in Omaha who still grin from ear to ear when talking about the 82 World Cup.

The excllent NAranjito:

He was actually the mascot, not the logo. The logo was a very nice thing designed by Joan Miro.

That World Cup was pretty big stuff our house, because all my family are from Northern Ireland. After Honduras held Spain to a draw, then Northern Ireland actually beat them.

I was 11. I still have my little Naranjito mug.

Old 06.05.2007, 07:58 AM   #1779
jico.
expwy. to yr skull

jico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
didnt expect nor planned this to happen and even the boy who brought me the chocolate mousSe said its too much, but i drowned and ate the mouSse with a glass filled with creme fresh. weird.
oestrus, rut.
jico. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2007, 08:15 AM   #1780
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
I feel like pooing but i dont wanna.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
79868788 89 909192991391895891089 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth