Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page ATP - The Fans Strike Back
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.01.2008, 12:20 AM   #1
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
For this festival we are reviving something we did in 2007; asking the people that come to the festival to decide who plays! So half of the lineup is chosen by us (ATP) and the other half by you. Everyone that buys a ticket will get a chance to vote for 10 acts they would like to appear at the festival, and we will be compiling charts of the results and approaching acts to see if they are available to play the festival... Voting will commence in just over 2 weeks on Monday 17th November.

so who would you vote for?

here are some of my choices, if i had a vote (trying to keep it in the realm of the possible):

wipers
birthday party
dead c
savage republic
felt
delgados
plagal grind
pin group
magazine
thee headcoats
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2008, 12:29 AM   #2
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Shooting for a line-up that fits the ATP style...

Throbbing Gristle
Sonic Youth with Merzbow
Melvins
Legendary Pink Dots
Dead C
Spacemen 3 (I could see them reuniting for this)
Hafler Trio
Current 93
Yoko Ono with IMA
Tall Dwarfs
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2008, 05:03 AM   #3
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Laughing Clowns (they're going to reform for the Australian ATP)/Ed Kuepper
Einstuerzende Neubauten
The Verlaines
Mayhem
Sonic Youth
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Bailterspace
The Saints (also reforming the Australian ATP)
Television (with Richard Lloyd back in the line up)
The Smiths (maybe not so possible)
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2008, 09:20 AM   #4
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus
plagal grind
pin group

i wish
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2008, 09:59 AM   #5
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Bigfoot
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2008, 11:02 AM   #6
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Bum Gravy.
Old 11.01.2008, 11:05 AM   #7
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
Bigfoot

too busy these days rocking the stadiums of the world I think
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 10:49 AM   #8
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
2nd December 2008

FANS STRIKE BACK VOTE: THE FIRST TOP TWENTY!

Okay gang here we go, the first top ten for Fans Strike Back! We will be posting a new updated chart each week with the latest top 20. Each week we will approach the top 2 bands and ask them to play the festival. If they can't do it for some reason, we approach the next two. Keep checking back here for news on how it's going.

FANS STRIKE BACK WEEK ONE CHART:
1 Sufjan Stevens
2 My Bloody Valentine

3 Beirut
4 Kraftwerk

5 The Knife
6 Eels
7 MF Doom
8 Jesus and Mary Chain
9 The Magnetic Fields
10 Flight of the Conchords
11 The Flaming Lips
12 Dan Deacon
13 Death Cab For Cutie
14 M83
15 MGMT
16 Electric Wizard
17 Jeffrey Lewis
18 Jesu
19 Robert Wyatt
20 Wolf Parade
Remember if you haven't got a ticket yet you're missing out on getting involved and effecting future charts. Tickets to the event are on sale NOW from this link.

That's better than I'd expected to be honest. There are even 3 or 4 on that list I'd be interested in seeing. (In the first round of voting you were only allowed to vote for bands that haven't played ATP before)

It seems a bit pointless to vote for MF Doom though; from what I've read he can't leave the USA because he probably wouldn't get back in. Let's just hope Sufjan Stevens and Beirut have already made other commitments for fuck sake.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 11:58 AM   #9
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
not the most interesting list

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 12:12 PM   #10
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Agreed, but I'd not have expected to see a band like Kraftwerk that high. I'd actually quite like to see Kraftwerk.

I did expect My Bloody Valentine to top the list though - come on, motherfucking Sufjan-fucking-Stevens!!?? - and since their reunion tour didn't stop by anywhere near me I'd still be interested in seeing them, even if it's only to be able to say afterwards that they were total shite, etc.

This ATP is all about the reunions anyway with Sleep, The Jesus Lizard and Devo already playing. If MBV and Kraftwerk get added then I'm going!

BUT they should really rename it to "ATP Goes Retro" or "ATP Classics Vol. 1". Fans Strike Back my arse... actually that would be a good name too.
Old 12.01.2008, 12:33 PM   #11
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
turns out the fans have no taste or imagination.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 01:23 PM   #12
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
the worst thing is having flight of the conchords in the list
Old 12.01.2008, 02:27 PM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I expect it's the problem that for everyone voting for Les Rallizes Denudes, there's ten people who would genuinely like to see Flight of the Conchords. I'd probably enjoy them if I saw them, but I'd be incensed if they were picked over someone who's very likely to play, like Melt Banana, let alone something unprecedented, like Rallizes (or somesuch).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 04:03 PM   #14
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

I'm not familiar with Flight of the Conchords, but Les Rallizes Denudes would fit in well with the overall reunion/old band theme.
Old 12.01.2008, 05:19 PM   #15
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
The Spring ATPs seem to be an indie paradise to me, full of fairly mainstream / currently hip indie bands. Nightmare Before Christmas is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more adventurous.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 09:58 PM   #16
punkaspoo
children of satan

punkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's asses
what do you guys think, how fast is this event gonna sell out?

punkaspoo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 11:39 PM   #17
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
I'm gonna think of things that are actually feasible:

The Hospitals
Sick LLama
Afrirampo
Alvarius B
Rick Bishop
Anthony Braxton
Smegma don't look back smell the remains
Blue Oyster Cult don't look back "Tyrrany and Mutation"
The Skaters
The Dead C don't look back "Harsh 70s Reality"
Tusco Terror
Eat Skull
Underground Resistance
Dylan Nyoukis/Blood Stereo
Detroit Techno Memorial DJ Tent
Raekwon and Ghostface don't look back Only built for Cuban Linx
Temple of Bon Matin
Darkthrone don't look back Transylvanian Hunger
Lightning Bolt
Black Pus/Rat Bastard (im waiting for the day when this happens, they used to do crazy ass noise jams together when the squelchers and the bolt were on tour together way back in the day)
Arthur Doyle Electro Accoustic Ensemble
To Live and Shave in LA
Pink Reason
Warmer Milks
Blues Control
Cro Mags don't look back Age of Quarrel (for maybe a second of the awesomeness they once had)
Kevin Drumm
Cock ESP
Emil Beailieau
Can't
Gang Wizard
Rusted Shut
Sonic Youth (duh)
Ricardo Villalobos
Gravediggaz don't look back Six feet deep
Burnt Hills
OM
6 Organs of Admittance
Mesntruation Sisters
Emeralds
Kito Mizukumi Rouber
Mammal
Riko
Sic Alps
Wolf Eyes
Daniel Menche
S I X E S
Skullflower
Hotogotitsu
Pengo
Valley of Ashes
Thee Oh Sees
any Billy Childish band
No Doctors
Excepter playing that freaky new album only
any dub artist i like that is alive and not fallen into lee perry syndrome (trouble is i couldnt think of any)
Prince Far I (he works)
Eddy Current Suppresion Ring (everyone seems blown away at how they rock on a purely rock n roll emotional level not seen since rock n roll died for the first time, prolly after the 70s, when ac/dc and motorhead couldnt even rock so wierd bands and punk bands were left to do all the rocking)

well im stoned right now any gettinc arried away
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2008, 12:37 AM   #18
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
Raekwon and Ghostface don't look back Only built for Cuban Linx

Cro Mags don't look back Age of Quarrel (for maybe a second of the awesomeness they once had)

raekwon and ghostface doing only built for cuban linx would be awesome.

cro-mags doing age of quarrel would be so bad it was funny. they did have one second of awesomeness. well maybe half a second. i still have that cd.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2008, 02:05 AM   #19
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
raekwon and ghostface doing only built for cuban linx would be awesome.

they did it 6 months ago, and i saw it
Old 12.02.2008, 02:17 AM   #20
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
they did it 6 months ago, and i saw it

i did not know this. how was it?
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth