Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page NR Essentials #20: Sonic Youth - Murray Street
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.05.2009, 10:57 AM   #1
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Sonic Youth
Murray Street
2002, DGC

Preachin' to the choir and I don't care...

MURRAY STREET was the first "leak" I ever heard. It was weird. Having and loving and knowing an album months before it was released. It felt like the future. And it was in a way. It was a whole new weird post-9/11 America. Not long after the record's release I faced an anxiety issue and made a trek with some friends to drive the 5 1/2 hrs to NYC to run wild in the streets. We browsed recordstores in the early morning hours, but first made the pilgrimage to Ground Zero and the hop-skip-and-jump to knock on the door on Murray Street. Nobody answered. This same Summer I would see the band twice. And hug Thurston.

Not only for the sounds contained within (which is more than enough) but also for the complex lineage of associated memories and feelings triggered -- MURRAY STREET is my favorite album of the 2000's.
Old 11.05.2009, 11:26 AM   #2
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
neat.

I know it's more of what's behind the album....but....isn't like every other SY album an essential? serisouly.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2009, 11:36 AM   #3
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
well to us, yeah. But I'm not talking "these are essential albums for everybody's collections" I'm talking "these are essential albums that have caused my ears and brain to make me think about music and sometimes life the way that I do." Now, obviously every note of this record means a lot to me musically, but you all already know that and get that so I didn't feel the need to explain that half of the equation.
Old 11.05.2009, 11:48 AM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
If I could only find a copy of the Kali Yug Express vinyl......
Old 11.05.2009, 11:51 AM   #5
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
I remember the first time I heard this album was when I first discovered limewire....I still really have not taken to the album. It is good it just has not made it on my favs list yet. I really like disconnection notice and RALGS. THose 2 stuck with me pretty good.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2009, 11:51 AM   #6
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I know! I remember entering multiple contests to try to win Kali Yug. I still have the mp3's from the secret website though. Sigh.

Rob, I didnt think you liked MURRAY. I din't think it rocked enough for you.
Old 11.05.2009, 11:52 AM   #7
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
I remember the first time I heard this album was when I first discovered limewire....I still really have not taken to the album. It is good it just has not made it on my favs list yet. I really like disconnection notice and RALGS. THose 2 stuck with me pretty good.

"Karenology" & "Strawberry" are the shiz.
Old 11.05.2009, 11:53 AM   #8
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah I like karen... Strawberry however..sure it will sneek in there one day they always do

Old 11.05.2009, 12:12 PM   #9
noisereductions
invito al cielo

"Strawberry" is brilliant. I wish it opened the album. I wish they opened their shows with it. It's incredible.
Old 11.05.2009, 12:29 PM   #10
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
When I listened to this for the first time, it felt as an instant classic as well as the future (courtesy of Jim O's very clear production). Amazing LP.
Old 11.05.2009, 12:33 PM   #11
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I know! I remember entering multiple contests to try to win Kali Yug. I still have the mp3's from the secret website though. Sigh.

Rob, I didnt think you liked MURRAY. I din't think it rocked enough for you.

when it came out it was very nice, but struck me as a departure, then when I read that thurston wrote most of it on an acoustic guitar it made sense to me.
it is a nice record, but I prefer sonic nurse. murray street is tepid Youth. lots of mid-tempo snoozers.

decent stuff but not what I listen to sonic youth for.
Old 11.05.2009, 12:37 PM   #12
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
When I listened to this for the first time, it felt as an instant classic as well as the future (courtesy of Jim O's very clear production). Amazing LP.

Indeed. I remember after first spin ended, I just hit play again. And again. And again. Didn't leave my CD player for mooooonths.
Old 11.05.2009, 12:52 PM   #13
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
when it came out it was very nice, but struck me as a departure, then when I read that thurston wrote most of it on an acoustic guitar it made sense to me.
it is a nice record, but I prefer sonic nurse. murray street is tepid Youth. lots of mid-tempo snoozers.

decent stuff but not what I listen to sonic youth for.

Nurse Rocks!

Old 11.05.2009, 12:56 PM   #14
noisereductions
invito al cielo

hell yeah NURSE rocks. But I still like MS better.
Old 11.05.2009, 06:55 PM   #15
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Best SY album of the last 20 years, without a doubt.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2009, 08:04 PM   #16
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I think I'm gonna give this a nice spin right abuot now.
Old 11.05.2009, 08:08 PM   #17
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

PS

this record has my all time favorite 8 seconds of drumming ever. Rain on Tin. Steve is beautiful from 5:03-5:11
Old 11.05.2009, 08:48 PM   #18
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Steve is King of the amazing drum moments. F'sho.
Old 11.06.2009, 01:03 AM   #19
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
You know, this record took me a while to buy. I had heard it a couple times, but never paid too much attention. Finally a while back I saw it in a record store new for $6. Bargain! Coincidentally I bought a few other misc. SY things there over time.

That said, it's a good record but I don't remember too much off of it. Maybe I should give it a listen to later or tomorrow.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2009, 09:13 AM   #20
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
No question for me that this is the best SY of the decade. Destroys Nurse for my money. Sympathy For The Strawberry deserves to be remembered as one of the great epic SY closing tracks, up there with Expressway, Trilogy and Diamond Sea (and possibly Titanium Expose).

I think the sequencing is also total genius. The first 5 tracks are all really lush and dreamy, and Kim doesn't sing at all, which really surprised on the first listen, as I'm fairly certain it's longest period of non-Kim on an SY album? But then, after the total beauty of RALGS with that Borbetomagus ending, when you're really just totally buried in the hazy jammy awesomeness, Kim just explodes into the album at her skronkiest with Plastic Sun, totally shaking you out of that dream state. Then the real genius comes, because just as you're slightly disgruntled at having been thrown out of that expansive loveliness, Kim forges on for the next 10 minutes with easily one of the most flat out beautiful moments they ever recorded, completely bring everything to this breathtaking conclusion (as in I literally subconsciously held my breath for the last bit when I first heard it).

That perfectly conceived 2 track knockout punch is absolutely up there with Kim's finest and most album defining moments, and, coming at the beginning of the "album killing" digital age, made as good as argument as any for why the idea of releasing music in the 40 minute album format can still be so valid an important. Love love love love love it.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth