Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Ludwig-less Diamond Sea
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.15.2006, 10:33 AM   #1
mooger_fooger
bad moon rising

mooger_fooger ain't too shabbymooger_fooger ain't too shabby
I dont think thurston had his ludwig phaser with him for diamond sea.
- holy-reberb!!

this came up in the Toronto show thread, thought I'd pose the question, on recent (Nurse and this tour if it's being played) is Thurston using his MXR Phase90 for Diamond Sea?
When they played it on the Nurse tour I didn't see any equipment that Chris Lawrence dosn't have listed...so I'm ASSUMING it was the MXR responsible for the infamous 'yayayayayaya'.....???
mooger_fooger is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2006, 01:49 PM   #2
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
When was the Diamond Sea played during the Nurse Tour???

last time they played that was 1996... perhaps they've tried soundchecking with it...

Ludwig phaser is abit different and unique than an mxr phase 90 because i believe it can also mix other effects to mimick a flanger which is different than a straight phaser...

i don't even know if they own a ludwig phasetron anymore, both of band's were stolen in the great theft of 1999.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2006, 01:55 PM   #3
mooger_fooger
bad moon rising

There's been some arguement about this Me and my roomate went to the Toronto show, both us and our bass player, remember seeign Diamond Sea...according to CLawrence, and a few others on here, we're wrong. Now I could accept that __I___ was having memory troubles (i smoke pot, it happens ) but I find it hard to belive we ALL had a Diamond Sea 'trip-that-never-happened' ESPECIALLY when our bass player has a good memory for trivial details (not that sweeing Diamond Sea live is trivial or anything)
Old 08.15.2006, 02:03 PM   #4
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Don't know what to say... i wasn't there... though i don't even think that thurston had a guitar in the tuning of EGDGED (for Diamond Sea) on the Nurse Tour.

may have to ask the band directly if they did indeed play the song.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2006, 02:17 PM   #5
mooger_fooger
bad moon rising

I hadn't condsidered that route...I mean, I'm not a terribly proud person, so it's not a matter of personal pride no gloating rights (eg 'haha I saw DS live and you havm't) it's just a matter of trying to prove I'm not insane...that this did in fact happen...I don't know, I just can't see wasting the bands time with such a petty question, but IF they did in fact play it, Thurston was DEFINITLY using his Phase 90 (speed was turned down after playing Dude Ranch Nurse to 'Ludwig' it up a bit..)
Old 08.15.2006, 02:22 PM   #6
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
ECgGCF = new tuning I've been having a lot of fun with lately.
Old 08.15.2006, 04:27 PM   #7
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooger_fooger
There's been some arguement about this Me and my roomate went to the Toronto show, both us and our bass player, remember seeign Diamond Sea.

Old 08.16.2006, 12:23 AM   #8
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
i remember them talking about playing it again, but they haven't. i used to think it was an outlandish idea to dedicate that much time of the set to an 'old' song, but w/ the 15+ minute expressways etc they've been doing, i think a 2nd encore 'diamond sea' could work for sure.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 12:01 PM   #9
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
theres no way in shit that they played diamond sea in toronto on nurse tour. I was there. After dude ranch i think they played Drunken butterfly...

lemme check...

here's setlist!:::
I Love You Golden Blue
100%
Pattern Recognition
Unmade Bed
Skip Tracer
Mariah Carey
Stones
New Hampshire
Paper Cup Exit
Silver Rocket
Dude Ranch Nurse
Drunken Butterfly
--
Disconnection Notice
Sugar Kane
--
Expressway
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 02:11 PM   #10
holy-reverb!!
children of satan

holy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
When was the Diamond Sea played during the Nurse Tour???

last time they played that was 1996... perhaps they've tried soundchecking with it...

Ludwig phaser is abit different and unique than an mxr phase 90 because i believe it can also mix other effects to mimick a flanger which is different than a straight phaser...

i don't even know if they own a ludwig phasetron anymore, both of band's were stolen in the great theft of 1999.

were they? I dont see them on the list.

holy-reverb!! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 02:32 PM   #11
mooger_fooger
bad moon rising

Hmmm....this is beginning to become a hotly debated subject, both on here and at home, as I have began to accept the fact that maybe I'm crazy...but my bandmates are insisting I'm not, that we did in fact hear diamond sea...I'm not even sure which side of the arguement I'm on anymore, b/c I recall losing my voice after chanting "diamond sea, diamond sea.." and then erupting into a massive scream upon the opening notes....So.....we'll just drop the subject and assume I'm crazy...however.....there's still a Shadow Of a Doubt in my mind...
Old 08.16.2006, 02:37 PM   #12
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
lay off the mota???
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 02:45 PM   #13
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooger_fooger
Hmmm....this is beginning to become a hotly debated subject, both on here and at home, as I have began to accept the fact that maybe I'm crazy...but my bandmates are insisting I'm not, that we did in fact hear diamond sea...I'm not even sure which side of the arguement I'm on anymore, b/c I recall losing my voice after chanting "diamond sea, diamond sea.." and then erupting into a massive scream upon the opening notes....So.....we'll just drop the subject and assume I'm crazy...however.....there's still a Shadow Of a Doubt in my mind...

Maybe at the time you just confused Diamond Sea and Expressway... they're kinda similar, a little, maybe... or something
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 02:58 PM   #14
mooger_fooger
bad moon rising

Well....I was about to buy into my craziness when an email bolstered my hopes, my friend states 'Rich, I hoisted you up to crowd surf during the noise jam, trust me, you're not going crazy'....the debate continues...
Old 08.16.2006, 08:25 PM   #15
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
Expressway has a noise jam....so does alot of SY songs.
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2006, 09:34 AM   #16
mooger_fooger
bad moon rising

Sadly I've come to accept that no-one here was actually at the show in question, or if they were did not sit out the encore(s)...as they DID in fact play Diamond Sea that evening (and no, not RIGHT after Dude Ranch, I was just referencing to the use of the Phase 90)
Old 08.17.2006, 09:56 AM   #17
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
I think Steve could save us all. Mr. Shelley let us know!
Old 08.17.2006, 10:03 AM   #18
mooger_fooger
bad moon rising

Steve could save us all...with his glorious tom rolls
Old 08.17.2006, 11:56 AM   #19
holy-reverb!!
children of satan

holy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of light
someone should post this question in the question thread.

holy-reverb!! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2006, 12:06 PM   #20
doctor dan
bad moon rising

doctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's asses
i thaught that they dont use the ludwig anymore because it was a casualty of the tragic gig theft? i read or heard somewhere it was one of the casualties. Itd be quality if they started playing diamond sea again tho. itd be a shame if it was stolen- that thing was really fucking rare, its worth a few grand...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth