Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.04.2017, 09:23 AM   #1321
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
My only criticism (and this is more at the BBC than the series) is that I wish they'd have the nerve to pour the same amount of resources into something a bit less obvious (for them). Everyone knows the BBC makes great adaptations but they invariably focus on the same kind of source material (their next big project is apparently Les Miserables). I don't question the quality of those productions, and it's understandable in the current financial climate that they'd want to play it safe, but at this rate the BBC's in danger of becoming an acronym for banquets, ballgowns and cummerbunds.

What would you adapt?

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2017, 10:00 AM   #1322
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Billy Budd, with all the real sex that's missing in the book? It would be revolutionary, IMO
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2017, 12:10 PM   #1323
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
@tunic/ilducio - i trained boxing for a bit in my teens and then a decade later and it's BRUTAL. i should do it again. stuff like jumping rope or (my favorite) hitting the heavy bag really give you a workout like no other. and the fighting takes tons of skill. but anyway, pretty as the sport is when good technique is applied (i appreciated boxers as opposite to each other as sugar ray leonard and mike tyson), ultimate fighting is closer to real-life situations when there are no rules limiting what parts one can use/attack. so in that sense watching boxing is like watching tennis these days, whereas mma is more life-and-death/gladiatorial.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2017, 03:27 PM   #1324
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Wow. I'm sold on War and Peace.

btw, read about 50 pages a day and you'll be done in a month. There are these long, discursive chapters which are essentially essays on Tolstoy's theory of History, which can be skipped I guess when reading (and certainly when adapting for film), so it can be even shorter, although ANNA KARENINA is a tad shorter and kind of better. I keep meaning to re-read WAR but I just end up re-re-re-reading ANNA.
yeah that's how i read anna karenina-- a chapter or 2 a day in a very hot summer with nothing else to do. i wouldn't mind a do-over.

best get the hammock ready...
Old 07.04.2017, 03:28 PM   #1325
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Wow. I'm sold on War and Peace.

btw, read about 50 pages a day and you'll be done in a month. There are these long, discursive chapters which are essentially essays on Tolstoy's theory of History, which can be skipped I guess when reading (and certainly when adapting for film), so it can be even shorter, although ANNA KARENINA is a tad shorter and kind of better. I keep meaning to re-read WAR but I just end up re-re-re-reading ANNA.
yeah that's how i read anna karenina-- a chapter or 2 a day in a very hot summer with nothing else to do. i wouldn't mind a do-over.

best get the hammock ready...

oh and hell yeah i wanna read his theory of history ha ha
Old 07.04.2017, 03:31 PM   #1326
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I'm grabbing the War and Peace now, thanks for the recco!
Old 07.04.2017, 03:32 PM   #1327
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
I'm grabbing the War and Peace now, thanks for the recco!
this neither here nor there but the constance garnett version which is sorta canonical for the english language i think should be available free of copyright
Old 07.04.2017, 04:23 PM   #1328
ilduclo
invito al cielo

I've read a ton of her translations of FM Dostoevski. She's good enough. I've got a quite elegant slipcovered illustrated (woodcuts by Fritz Eichenberg) 1938 C & P (Heritage Press) in my voluminous Library of Babel, which also includes the Menard Quixote.

here's the fronstpiece, where Raskolnikov awaits the landlady....

Old 07.04.2017, 04:23 PM   #1329
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
@tunic/ilducio - i trained boxing for a bit in my teens and then a decade later and it's BRUTAL. i should do it again. stuff like jumping rope or (my favorite) hitting the heavy bag really give you a workout like no other. and the fighting takes tons of skill. but anyway, pretty as the sport is when good technique is applied (i appreciated boxers as opposite to each other as sugar ray leonard and mike tyson), ultimate fighting is closer to real-life situations when there are no rules limiting what parts one can use/attack. so in that sense watching boxing is like watching tennis these days, whereas mma is more life-and-death/gladiatorial.

I've heard this case made for mma before, but it still doesn't really sell me. I think I like boxing specifically for the technique and skill involved in it. It's actually kind of a slow-burn sport, and like baseball it's long-form strategy "game" so that appeals to me. Not that I watch a lot of boxing, but I do like the sport.

I used to live in an apartment complex with some dudes who were SUPER into mma or ultimate fighting or whatever, and I had a couple just total binge-sessions watching it with them over beers (#guystuff #makesmenervous), but as much as I could admit that it was entertaining, I just couldn't really get into it to the point where I saw it as a "real" sport for whatever reason. Obviously it is a real sport, but it just doesn't feel that way to me when I'm watching. I like the rules of boxing, the restrictions that force fighters to make something happen without just going... what's the word... "beast mode?"

Anyway, I'm sure it's fine. Just not for me.

I'm impressed that you boxed though.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2017, 10:26 PM   #1330
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
SYMBOLS --

I just started watching season 1 of Preacher.

Surprised at how much I'm liking it so far. Really surprised. The lady who plays Tulip is just ... wow.
Old 07.04.2017, 10:49 PM   #1331
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

shes's the woman with the flower dress in agents of S.H.I.T.

so much better here!

and yeah boxing is the better sport and can be a long match-- that's why i compared it to tennis.

the other stuff is more brutal and takes less understanding so it belongs in the reality tv era ha ha ha. less sport, more combat.

the boxing i didn't really fight, wasn't competitive-- i just trained which is different. you don't get your head bashed that much. at least the sparring we did was (on purpose) head was off-limits. but the training is hard fucking core. and sometimes a glove would slip off your shoulder and bonk ha ha ha. i was in college and couldn't afford subdural hematomas though. was just to learn. also did a bit of tae know do for shits and giggles. there's an appeal to combining both though... hence, mma.
Old 07.05.2017, 10:52 AM   #1332
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
shes's the woman with the flower dress in agents of S.H.I.T.

so much better here!

Well, she *was* that chick. But that chick became another thing altogether (same actress) and then died. Hahaha. She was irritating as fuck.

I trust you won't mind the spoiler because it's from a few years ago and you don't seem inclined to try the show out again -- though it has gotten a LOT better.

Anyway, I'm pumped about Preacher now. I can't imagine how some of the stuff from the comic is going to translate to TV, but whatever. I'm game to find out. First episode really grabbed me, and seemed to work on all levels.

I wish the show was on Netflix though. Maybe I should invest the $8/month Hulu. This iTunes shit is getting pricey. I didn't used to watch so much shit, but life is stressful and I don't drink, so... yah.
Old 07.05.2017, 12:07 PM   #1333
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah she became a porcupine or some such shit. then her prophecy was all bollocks. utter crap, that show. an endless jerkoff. why wouldn't they kill off angel already. and "daisy" went from supersmart hacker to an imbecile mutant with a dumb superpower. what a load of crap.

i tunes! ha ha ha ha. so bougie.

the way to play the subscription game is to binge-watch the lot they offer. then change the channel.

say you wanna catch up with gaymotron. you rent a month worth of hobo, watch the 8 or so episodes, brush up on other stuff you left out, cancel. next month, get something else. or go on a media fast.

amc is in what? i dont know. i rent amc via disc a year later.

since i have poor internets i am dependent on netflix dvd but i can go from as low as 2 per month to 8 at a time, depending on the season and how busy i get, and if there are sports, etc. this month im maxed out, next month i go to 2 or 3 again.

i did watch preacher on netflix (net not stream) and the blurays looked awesome.

i might do hulu for a month maybe for master chef and some other nonsense. provided they allow for offlined files cuz my connection can't handle decent streams in high quantities: those are reserved for el sócker.

ps- it's not an "investment." stop using that word the wrong way. sure, everyone does it. but it's a stupid mind trick to rationalize more expense. if you wanna invest, take a course or something.
Old 07.05.2017, 09:22 PM   #1334
Severian
invito al cielo

I know it's not an investment. I didn't even mean that in a clever way or anything. was just in a hurry and wrote that instead of "try" or "buy some."
Old 07.05.2017, 09:36 PM   #1335
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah i know. it's a common language artifact. which is why it happened-- it's so ingrained. marketese becomes common parlance.

but yeah hulu would save you a ton of money over itunes ha ha ha-- if you can find what you like there.

i'm getting into prime video a bit. not such a huge selection, so it takes some exploration to find the good stuff, but the thing is that it's "free" for me (since i really get a lot from prime, living here in the sticks). and it can be offlined in places with good connections.

speaking of shit, tried watching some anime by miyazaki's son and my fuck it was such utter garbage. 2 hours of a baby going googoo gaagaaa-- no. he's got some sort of daddy issues for sure and i don't blame him for them, but i can't watch his fantasy projections.

it's like that movie about louis khan. did you ever see it? made by his lovechild. jeezus christ. i pity the fool. i did learn about louis khan though, who was a great architect. just did not care for the therapy session.
Old 07.06.2017, 10:14 AM   #1336
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
O Sa Mire, the Albanian sitcom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_alAOmSZbBQ
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2017, 12:19 PM   #1337
Severian
invito al cielo

I'm a little bit in love with Ruth Negga's TV Tulip.

PREACHER.
Old 07.09.2017, 12:49 PM   #1338
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Recently got HBO Now so I've started watching Westworld and enjoying that quite a bit, not too far into it though, only seen 3 episodes.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2017, 01:30 PM   #1339
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Recently got HBO Now so I've started watching Westworld and enjoying that quite a bit, not too far into it though, only seen 3 episodes.

Yeah. I liked that. Kinda want to watch it again. Dammit. You're making me want HBO back.

Maybe I'll do what Symbols said and just buy a month of HBO Go and binge on the shit I need to finish, like VEEP and Silicon Valley.
Old 07.09.2017, 04:42 PM   #1340
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah. dont be a sucka. play it smart.

speaking of suckas: i think you jinxed my old iphone 5 cuz a few days ago the battery swelled up and popped the glass and then it lost all phone connectivity and it fucked my life.

so

i bought an android phone for less than $200 and it's fucking great haa haa haaa

gotta be really careful with massive privacy issues ("okay google", stfu--etc) but very happy for the return on the money.

oh, also we're not getting an ipad pro. but the old ipad air 2 has been renamed and repackaged and now sells for 300 bucks haaa haa haaa.

so yeah. viva el agnosticismo.
57646566 67 68697077117167 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth