Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What do you think of tool?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.29.2009, 01:40 PM   #21
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
I have a good friend who LOVES them. Constantly makes fun of me for not thinking they are amazing, hates any music I listen to.

I have yet to see the big deal about Tool. Sure, some of their riffs are kinda cool, but in the primary sense no. His lyrics are just beyond awful and his voice annoys me. Even though some enjoy the production of their records I don't at all.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2009, 06:59 PM   #22
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
I like Aenima and some of Undertow but the rest is pretty shit.

you lie!

is one of the greatest metal albums of all time with some of the most profound lyrics in american music. It is like an existential trip through Saint Origen the Theologian's notebooks while taking mushrooms..

tool is the best band to come out of contemporary metal in the US. no one is like them, their math rock combined with startlingly poignant lyrics regarding the spirituality of existence (The Patient, The Grudge, Lateralus, Parabola, Reflection..) I wish I could go see them at this festival in two weeks here near LA, but I do not have that kind of $$$, like my nigga said, if you aint got the doh-rei-me..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2009, 07:04 PM   #23
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Meh. I like some stuff they do. And yeah, some of their fans are fucking pricks.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2009, 07:13 PM   #24
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax Americana
Meh. I like some stuff they do. And yeah, some of their fans are fucking pricks.

agreed. I am engulfed by the Dead's music but avoid deadheads like the plague.. but you can only judge art on its own merits, not the after-effects.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2009, 07:14 PM   #25
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
i once had to sit through atool dvd with someone who was telling me they were the greatest band on earth. i felt horrible.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2009, 09:08 PM   #26
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I like them when I hear them. But it's rare that I think to listen to them on my own.
I think I'd have to say the same
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2009, 10:31 PM   #27
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
This thread is turning exactly into the "i hate tool" thread. Always a wonder why everyone enjoys repeating themself..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2009, 10:37 PM   #28
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I think they're o.k. and really liked some of Lateralus. Saw the guitar player with the Melvins and he held his own. Sometimes the singer is annoying though.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2009, 10:48 PM   #29
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
"is one of the greatest metal albums of all time with some of the most profound lyrics in american music. It is like an existential trip through Saint Origen the Theologian's notebooks while taking mushrooms.."

this sounds like someone making fun of tool fans
Old 07.29.2009, 11:00 PM   #30
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
They really are brilliant songwriters, though.

"pushit" is amazing. I challenge any band to write a song that emotionally, structurally complex and make it not sound like a complete fucking mess.

Old 07.29.2009, 11:01 PM   #31
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
estranged by guns n roses....only half joking
Old 07.29.2009, 11:06 PM   #32
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Lateralus blows.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2009, 11:10 PM   #33
jerf
children of satan

jerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's assesjerf kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Lateralus blows

away all other bands
jerf is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2009, 11:12 PM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Actually, chairman, Estranged is amazing. That's always been one of my favorite songs.......... Anyway... See, the brilliance of Tool, and they're obviously not the only band that does this.. but let me reference "Pushit" again.. or "Eulogy"... they have a lot of songs that never repeat. The songs flow, organically, from one section to another, to another, to another, to another... now, obviously, bands have been doing this since music existed, it's not some mindblowing, new technique that Tool invented. But few bands do it so well. THeir songs, literally, tell a story. And they never have ugly, throwaway parts in their music (not until 10,000 Days at least). All the songs flow so naturally. They really are brilliant musicians.

Also, Lateralus is absolutely amazing. It's extremely soft compared to all their other stuff ('cept for Ticks and Leeches) but it has their most powerful compositions on it. That minute-long scream in "The Grudge" is unbelievable, as is the guitar part that comes in directly after the quiet part in "Ticks and Leeches". The 11-minute "Triad" encompasses everything that makes Tool awesome. The album is a bit too long (79:59.9999! The fuck?! I played the disc on my computer once and it read the album as 80:01!) but eh. When so much of it is amazing, who cares? Honestly, it's not my favorite album by them, but it is probably their best. They removed all the filler (the "Filler" here is still musical), and it has their best songwriting, ever.

Their only real misstep is 10,000 Days. It has a few good songs, a few GREAT songs (love the opening track, with the dual guitar lines), but ... most of it is chunky, throwaway riffing. Sounds like a parody of Tool. Actually, no, it sounds like a band who maybe wanted to return to their "early" sound but were still in the Lateralus mindset so they made these long, epic songs without any thought put into the actual process of songwriting. You know what I said in the first paragraph about Tool's brilliant, organic, natural, flowing songwriting? Yeah. Almost none of that on 10,000 Days.

In all seriousness, Tool does blow away 99.9% of other bands out there. They're just too great. They're easily one of the best bands ever.

But I only really listen to 'em like once every 3 years.

Old 07.29.2009, 11:30 PM   #35
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Tool. meh, no thanks.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2009, 11:44 PM   #36
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Actually, chairman, Estranged is amazing. That's always been one of my favorite songs.......... Anyway... See, the brilliance of Tool, and they're obviously not the only band that does this.. but let me reference "Pushit" again.. or "Eulogy"... they have a lot of songs that never repeat. The songs flow, organically, from one section to another, to another, to another, to another... now, obviously, bands have been doing this since music existed, it's not some mindblowing, new technique that Tool invented. But few bands do it so well. THeir songs, literally, tell a story. And they never have ugly, throwaway parts in their music (not until 10,000 Days at least). All the songs flow so naturally. They really are brilliant musicians.

Also, Lateralus is absolutely amazing. It's extremely soft compared to all their other stuff ('cept for Ticks and Leeches) but it has their most powerful compositions on it. That minute-long scream in "The Grudge" is unbelievable, as is the guitar part that comes in directly after the quiet part in "Ticks and Leeches". The 11-minute "Triad" encompasses everything that makes Tool awesome. The album is a bit too long (79:59.9999! The fuck?! I played the disc on my computer once and it read the album as 80:01!) but eh. When so much of it is amazing, who cares? Honestly, it's not my favorite album by them, but it is probably their best. They removed all the filler (the "Filler" here is still musical), and it has their best songwriting, ever.

Their only real misstep is 10,000 Days. It has a few good songs, a few GREAT songs (love the opening track, with the dual guitar lines), but ... most of it is chunky, throwaway riffing. Sounds like a parody of Tool. Actually, no, it sounds like a band who maybe wanted to return to their "early" sound but were still in the Lateralus mindset so they made these long, epic songs without any thought put into the actual process of songwriting. You know what I said in the first paragraph about Tool's brilliant, organic, natural, flowing songwriting? Yeah. Almost none of that on 10,000 Days.

In all seriousness, Tool does blow away 99.9% of other bands out there. They're just too great. They're easily one of the best bands ever.

But I only really listen to 'em like once every 3 years.

What about Right In Two?
Old 07.30.2009, 12:06 AM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

it's a bong ripper sure

Old 07.30.2009, 01:00 AM   #38
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
I'm actually rather embarrassed to admit this, but I am not at all familiar with Tool, like AT ALL. I mean, I know the name and that they're rather popular and I can even picture their emblem in my head... I am just not at all familiar with their music.

If a Tool song came on the radio I would not recognize it as a Tool song. If I have heard them, I didn't realize it was them at the time.

Where's a good place for someone to start? I usually start at the beginning... but any other ideas?
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2009, 01:28 AM   #39
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Aenima is their most popular.

Undertow is their first full length, but it has some "metal" types of moments atypical of most of their work (i.e. the thrashy burst in the middle of Crawl Away-but it's cool for that song).

Lateralus and 10,000 Days are awesome too, but they might be a bit difficult for a beginner.

So, I say Aenima.
Old 07.30.2009, 01:36 AM   #40
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

That sounds more like a shortcut to insanity.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth