Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page comics and graphic novels?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.06.2016, 10:15 AM   #141
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am reading Batman Court of Owls right now. Good stuff.
Old 07.06.2016, 12:57 PM   #142
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, after reading Scott Snyder's Wytches I've been curious about checking out his Batman stuff which I believe Court of Owls falls under.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2016, 07:59 PM   #143
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I am reading Batman Court of Owls right now. Good stuff.

Have you read any of the new Batman monthlies post-DCU Rebirth?

Some fascinating shit. Really good storytelling. It's a limited run for the writer, but he's throwing in some really cool elements. You should be on top of all this shit actually, considering how into *cough* ... Watchmen you are.

I hope you're not taking my constant button pushing about your shady unsubstantiated claims about Kanye's "shittiness" too seriously. I mean... it's just a joke how full of shit you are in the café, but I hope you know I love you.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2016, 08:42 PM   #144
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
All you Batfans need to at LEAST read DCU REBIRTH, and then dig into what Tom King and David Finch are doing with the monthly Batman title right now. It's pretty goddamn impressive.
Old 07.07.2016, 08:38 AM   #145
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I have not read the new Rebirth stuff. I am still catching up on what happened in comics in the last 10 years!
Old 07.11.2016, 04:54 PM   #146
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Clowes' Patience was pretty fucking rad
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2016, 08:41 AM   #147
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

My tweet about a blog post I did regarding Bill Sienkiewicz's art got a Like from the man himself! http://rxttfaves.blogspot.com/2016/0...ists-bill.html
Old 07.12.2016, 09:48 AM   #148
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I have not read the new Rebirth stuff. I am still catching up on what happened in comics in the last 10 years!

Oh man, I hear you on that one. I've mostly given up on trying to catch up with New 52. I've resolved to read the entirety of Batman's New 52 run, and the entirety of both Superman and Action Comics from that era, which I've only read in spurts until now (like when John Romita Jr. was doing art for the former, and kicking absolute morherfucking ass on it, because he's fucking John Romita morherfucking Jr.), but other than that, I'm just going to let Rebirth catch me up.

It's doing a fine job so far, with little notes and references, plus clues and exposition built into the storyline. So far, from what I can tell, all you really need to know going into Rebirth is the basic premise of Flashpoint (where Barry went back in time to stop his mother's murder and totally fucked up the universe, then "died" going back again to correct things using the Speed Force, which did more damage and led to the creation of the flawed New 52 universe, full of holes and missing characters.)

That and an understanding of the events of Watchmen, which I know you have. Watchmen is figuring heavily into Rebirth, as the "alternate" universe where those events took place is connecting with the main DCU.

For instance, there's been a lurking villain who popped up in the last days of New 52's Superman titles, and followed the timeline over to Rebirth named "Mr. Oz," who I can only assume is one Ozymandias from you know what.

Honestly use, there's an into comic simply titled "DC UNIVERSE REBIRTH" that you should just read to Fucking humor me. It's one issue and it wraps shit up pretty nicely, an ends with one of the most awesome panels in modern comics.

Here's the cover.

Old 07.12.2016, 09:50 AM   #149
Severian
invito al cielo

Oh, and that "most awesome panel in modern comics?" Well, I'm not trying to spoil it, but you've just gotta see this shit. It's such a simple image, but oh! The implications!!

Old 07.12.2016, 10:13 AM   #150
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

ha! I will do so!
Old 07.12.2016, 11:18 AM   #151
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
So having not read any of these Rebirth comics my question is, is Alan Moore writing any of this new material? I don't think he had anything to do with Before Watchman, and suggests that DC owns the rights to Watchman, and not Moore, which is unfortunate for him.
Old 07.12.2016, 01:31 PM   #152
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I heard that the original creators are doing a new Jessica Jones series in the Fall. I'm excited about that.
Old 07.12.2016, 01:34 PM   #153
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ha! I will do so!

man, I'll keep my eye out for that too. That panel is awesome haha.

RE: the digital comics thing... all the stuff on my tablet is either from the Kindle store or Google Play store right now. I haven't really delved much further out.
Old 07.12.2016, 07:41 PM   #154
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
So having not read any of these Rebirth comics my question is, is Alan Moore writing any of this new material? I don't think he had anything to do with Before Watchman, and suggests that DC owns the rights to Watchman, and not Moore, which is unfortunate for him.

Nope. No Moore. And no, he didn't have anything to do with Before Watchmen. He created the characters on DC payroll, and I'm guessing they retain the rights of ownership. Just like how Frank Miller created Elektra, crafted a story arc around her in DD, killed her, and then have her a solo book... In his mind, that was it for the character. He didn't realize she's become part of the canon, or a "legacy" character. But there she is, being used in movies, tv shows and video games.

Honestly I don't know why Alan Moore isn't involved, but if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's because Watchmen and V were his outlets for CREATING something in the comic book world. He'd certainly paid his dues writing for countless DC titles (Superman and Swamp Thing being the best.) I'm guessing he'd just as soon let Watchmen be a singular entity. Like a novel. A superhero story that is 100% isolated from any other superhero stories.

But for some reason I also want to say that he's retired. Is that ringing any bells with anyone?

Anyway, the truth is the Watchmen story is powerful as hell, and they needed a massive catalyst for this Rebirth overhaul (which is not really a reboot like new 52, it's much stranger than that)... And Watchmen is hella popular, and also contains the most powerful character in DC Comics history with Dr. Manhatten. Who else has the power to create and destroy universes, and manipulate godlike heroes like Superman and the flash?

I'm not sure how I feel about it on an artistic level. I hope Moore gave his blessing. But in terms of story power, it's providing a lot of fascinating material, and leading to a lot of interesting theories about who's involved, what they're doing, and how long they've been doing it. The only two Watchmen to be shown (or overtly referenced) at this point are Manhatten and Ozy, but that's not surprising considering those guys were the fucking bastards who let the world collapse for the "greater good" ... And because pretty much everyone else is either an ineffectual pussy (Night Owl) or fucking DEAD (like, everyone else).

Shrug.
Old 07.12.2016, 07:47 PM   #155
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I heard that the original creators are doing a new Jessica Jones series in the Fall. I'm excited about that.

Yep, as part of this Marvel NOW! Thing that I'm really confused about because I've been paying so much attention to DC.

There's all this "Divided we Stand" marketing going on for Marvel NOW!, featuring Dr. Soon as Iron Man, and other weird character combos. I've missed a lot because I'm just wondering why they're using that kind of phrasing for a future event, just as Civil War II is taking off.

I need to catch up on my Captain America. Wanna know what all this Nazi nonsense is about. I love Cap. I love very few Marvel characters, but Cap is one of them, for sure.

And yeah, I'm all in for a new Jessica Jones solo book. Can't bloody wait in fact.

Think there's a NOVA movie coming out.

Ugh. It's really hard to be actively "in" to both DC and Marvel at the same time. Things get complicated. I mean, there are currently 3 Supermen in DC, and one's "dead," while another is a powerless Clark Kent... And now Cap's a (gay?) Nazi and Iron Man is NOT ONLY a fifteen year old black girl but also Dr. Doom? And fucking Male-Thor is back?

Brain pain.
Old 07.12.2016, 08:15 PM   #156
noisereductions
invito al cielo

way complicated. I'm not reading any new stuff right now tbh. Just revisiting and catching up on old stuff. But I WILL read the new JJ when it hits.

Mostly I read Marvel. And then Batman. And TMNT and random non-big-2 stuff.

But yeah I've heard about the HAIL HYDRA stuff and the new Iron Man Girl stuff. I shrug it off for now. No opinion til I get around to it all who knows when.
Old 07.13.2016, 01:04 AM   #157
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

Frankly, I'm all for it. The fact that its taken this long for Marvel to diversify their roster, its been long in coming. Miles Morales has been popular, female Thor seems to be successful, and now a cool female as the new "Iron Man", I even was talking to someone on twitter and said they should give her the moniker Iron Maiden. I'm totally for it.
Old 07.13.2016, 08:41 AM   #158
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

When I read Alias I found the first 3 issues of the OG miniseries to be engrossing and then it quickly slid into soap opera bullshit. The TV show was actually better than the comic.
Marvel killed that shit by now allowing Bendis to use other Marvel characters in the book.
Old 07.13.2016, 12:22 PM   #159
noisereductions
invito al cielo

the JJ show was fantastic. I loved it. I'm in the mid of season 1 of DD right now. Trying to get caught up for Luke Cage/The Defenders.
Old 07.13.2016, 04:56 PM   #160
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
the JJ show was fantastic. I loved it. I'm in the mid of season 1 of DD right now. Trying to get caught up for Luke Cage/The Defenders.

I really liked DD season 2. Better than season 1, in my opinion. Not sure why. I loved season 1 at first, but when I re-watched it, some of the Kingpin crap made me cringe. And I hate Karen. Which, you'd think, would make me hate season 2 more than 1, but she's actually less of a focal point.

Freaking secretary going to court, interviewing clients, breaking into houses. I'd fire that dumb bitch.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth