Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Why didn't Lee sing any songs on Experimental Jet Set?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.16.2014, 02:02 PM   #21
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I call this record "Nap Time at the Old Folks Home"
Old 12.16.2014, 05:11 PM   #22
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
I have somewhat mixed feelings about EJSTNS. I think that overall the album is weird because it's such a mix of their best (Bull In The Heather, Starfield Road, Doctor's Orders, Sweet Shine) and worst songs (I do not feel the need to list them). I can't say if Lee had contributed a song to the album that it would have made it better or worse as a whole. I think that Dirty is a masterpiece and very tight in terms of production (and I do not mean that in a bad way), as records that Butch Vig produces typically are. He did EJSTNS too and despite that the band was still working with Butch, the production was much looser, which is the album's strength in some songs and weakness in others.
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2014, 05:40 PM   #23
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
I think a bit of context is necessary here. At the turn of the decade and the early '90s the band had embraced the vibe of Mudhoney and Nirvana and filtered it through its own glorious idiosincrasy, which of course produced Dirty, but the so-called "new mainstream" unwittingly unleashed by Nevermind's success was, what, at best 5% interesting and 95% execrable and excretable. Sonic Youth reacted to this cesspool's expansion by aiming for a kind of against the grain "art rock":

Quote:
When I see MTV and its Stone Temple Pilots mania, I wanna say, "Fuck rock & roll. Rock & roll is dead! Art rules!" —Thurston to Rolling Stone, 1994

So, crunchy fuzzy straightforward stuff, out. Beginning the album with an all-acoustic song (!), in. Memorable conventional hooks, out — for the most part. Fractured non-verse-chorus-verse structures, in — for the most part. And, if I'm not mistaken, a policy of "first take best take" was adopted for at least a portion of the recordings. Does it ALL succeed? No, but this is what I'm getting at: Experimental Jet Set, Trash And No Star is the ultimate transitional Sonic Youth album, the critical first step (followed by less tentative, but in my opinion not fully realized either, moves with Washing Machine and the SYR EPs) in order to eventually reach superlative quality status again with A Thousand Leaves and the LPs from the Jim O'Rourke years, before taking another couple of brilliant (but not as dramatic) detours with Rather Ripped and The Eternal. All in all, a most certainly rewarding journey to follow, and despite a few subpar songs here and there, a journey from which I wouldn't remove a single release.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2014, 06:30 PM   #24
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
That's true.. ejstns > goo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2014, 06:55 PM   #25
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
That's true.. ejstns > goo

You explained in few words why hardly anyone feels like chatting about SY on the forum and stick to limited editions and the torrents. Congratulations.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2014, 08:03 PM   #26
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Are more words even necessary? And actually the Sonic Youth section is the only place where all kinds of new and different people post. Its the Ship Of Lost Souls aka the Honeybunch aka Non-Sonics where fresh blood is afraid to sacrifice themselves on the altars of our banality

Old 12.17.2014, 09:24 AM   #27
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
No way. Goo is awesome compared to the bore that is EJST&NS.

Dirty Boots?
Mary Christ?
Mote? MOTE??????
Disappearer?
Mildred Pierce?

Those tunes alone blow anything on EJST&NS out of the water. turn it up loud.

MOTE is GOD
Old 12.17.2014, 11:09 AM   #28
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I know its an unpopular opinion and while technically the songs on Goo are "better" I find myself rarely listening to them. Of course this may just be because I lost my copy of Goo... actuly shit.. cinderella's big score. Titanium expose, mote... yeah I suppose my statement was a bit excessive. So Ejstns is back to the bottom of the pile

Old 12.17.2014, 11:20 AM   #29
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Just to piss people off here are my rankings.. 1) Sonic Nurse 2) A Thousand Leaves 3) Washing Machine 4) Day Dreamnation 5)Dirty 6)The Eternal 7) sister 8) goo 9) sonic death 10)evol 11)rather ripped 12) nyc ghosts &flowers 13) murray street 14) bad moon rising 15)ejtns

Old 12.21.2014, 09:49 AM   #30
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I like you suchfriends....but how dare you date dirty so high? Even above EVOL. That fucking record is essential as fuck. Steve's first album with sy and he ducking kills it!!!! The songs are 10 times better and the sound actually has an aura unlike dirty which sounds cheesy(for sy at least.)
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2014, 09:58 AM   #31
sy2004
stalker

sy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's asses
Rankings are personal and irrelevant.

sy2004 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2014, 05:03 PM   #32
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
i like ejstns. pity there is no Lee song + weird. probably genetic track aftermath?

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2014, 05:55 PM   #33
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Sorry evol, I just really like dirty, its always been one,of my all time favorite records

Old 12.23.2014, 05:25 AM   #34
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
No way. Goo is awesome compared to the bore that is EJST&NS.

Dirty Boots?
Mary Christ?
Mote? MOTE??????
Disappearer?
Mildred Pierce?

Those tunes alone blow anything on EJST&NS out of the water. turn it up loud.

MOTE is GOD

Dirty Boots and Mary Christ are the beginning of the Thurston wackness that lead to what we have now
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2014, 10:40 AM   #35
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Dirty Boots and Mary Christ are the beginning of the Thurston wackness that lead to what we have now

title of next Thurston album: The Wackness

EJST&NS
gets little play at my house these days, but Sweet Shine is extraordinary, maybe have to revisit soonish
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2015, 05:17 PM   #36
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Experimental Jet Set, Trash And No Star is the ultimate transitional Sonic Youth album, the critical first step...

This and everything you said following was perfectly put. I have always thought this, and you put my thoughts into words perfectly. Just thought I should let you know...
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2015, 05:37 PM   #37
rocky
bad moon rising

rocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm! well,
Washing Machine
feels a lot about being between worlds or in multiple worlds , whether creatively, or how our minds and perceptual dimensions have many dimensions.

Saucer-Like must have had an extra element to surprise listeners who had been following for a while and wondering whether Lee would vocally lead a song on the new record. many songs do, but it really feels like a unique bridge between the two albums, and there are these feelings of returning from a long journey mentally and physically with new knowledge and perspectives!
Old 01.08.2015, 05:51 PM   #38
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Sometimes a simple ''it's awesome!'' will do.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2015, 06:36 PM   #39
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
"Androgynous Mind" is one of the best SY songs ever.
Old 01.09.2015, 03:20 PM   #40
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This, this, and more this.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth