Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Metallica
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.17.2007, 08:02 PM   #81
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
load is their best album post-justice.

reload has some great songs too (not fuel or unforgiven 2, of course). st anger is unlistenable, i really want to kill james on that one.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2007, 09:42 PM   #82
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
their first 4 records are unfuckwithable, 4 consectutive perfect records, then, *sigh
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2007, 12:27 AM   #83
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I don't understand how people dislike the Black album.
Old 12.18.2007, 12:43 AM   #84
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
I hate them. They're not nearly as bad as AC DC though so whatever...

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2007, 02:27 AM   #85
Bicorn Halfelven
children of satan

Bicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's asses
...And Justice For All has always been and always will be my all time JAM.

Fuckabass.

I can recite that record backwards and forwards, I've listened to it so many fucking times.

Puppets, Lightning, Kill'em All, good stuff. The Diamond Head covers are aiight.
Bicorn Halfelven is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2007, 12:09 AM   #86
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMAh
I hate them. They're not nearly as bad as AC DC though so whatever...

i agree with the ac/dc bit.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2007, 03:20 AM   #87
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
What exactly is the problem with later Metallica compared to earlier? Its a thing people talk about in the same way that people talk about other older bands who continue (such as.... Sonic Youth). Is it for the same reasons (I.e. feeling the band has "sold out" or something like that)?

No, because, for the most part, the people who say Sonic Youth "sold out" got into them from the first three major label albums then went back and discovered Sister and DDN and then these people generally got older and lost track of Sonic Youth and in their laziness to figure out what the band has actually done in past fifteen years, they just say, "They sold out!"

Metallica on the other hand were a band who created a rather massive following on their own terms: creating music that was too long and agressive for radio play, refusing to make videos at the peak of MTV's influence, and denying various cliches of their own genre while embracing influences such as Killing Joke and the Misfits well before such crossovers were readily accepted in the metal world. They set up a fanbase who looked to them as the standard bearers of a kind of anti-industry purity and then they took an about face - first with videos for songs on And Justice For All, then with Bob Rock's very radio friendly production of the Black Album, and finally with the incredibly embarassing Alternica/Nu-Metal direction they took after that.

If you look at people who were into Sonic Youth heavily in the '80s, you will usually find people who like NYC Ghost & Flowers and Sonic Nurse a whole lot. Sonic Youth have maintained pretty much the same course the whole time from then until now, and that's a course that has always allowed for a lot of experimentation and side projects.

You'd be hard pressed to find many people who were heavily into Metallica in the '80s who can bear to listen to anything they've done since. I'm not saying there aren't any people out there who might be exceptions to that rule, but most old school Metallica fans who still care about metal at all are probably more likely listening to Sepultura or Entombed or something else.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2007, 03:47 AM   #88
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
the black album was the beginning of the end for alot of the old school metallica fans. they changed their sound/approach pretty drastically on that album, considering the stuff theyed done prior.

thats why alot of people dont typically dig that album.

its also argualbly their "sell out album" < well, alotta folks would say that.

Anyone who says the "Black Album" was a sellout album is speaking through their arse. How can making an album that sounds like nothing else out there at the time, and basically nothing else since either, be "selling out"?
It's not like that album was a sure thing to make it as big as it did. If anything it could have bombed because they did go on their own and create somehting like nothing else, which seems to not be a thing hardcore metal fans appreciate. But they did appreciate the black album. You were hardpressed to find anybody at the time who didn't like that album, be it the metal community or people who had never heard a metal band before and went and discovered a bunch of other great bands too.
The album is great, but timing and perseverance also had alot to do with the success of said album.

I can understand how untolarable metal fans could dislike the album as it's not the standard metal they may care for, but then that's noones loss but theirs.
Old 12.19.2007, 07:12 AM   #89
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
i thought the black album was really really boring. when i want to listen to metallica all i want to hear is thrash thrash thrash. i guess that's why i like their first three albums the best.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2007, 02:06 PM   #90
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iEstfISDogs

fuck yeah.
Old 12.19.2007, 04:25 PM   #91
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
i thought the black album was really really boring. when i want to listen to metallica all i want to hear is thrash thrash thrash. i guess that's why i like their first three albums the best.

Well that's a fair enough, it's a personal reason. but cop-outs liek "sellout" are quite boring and redundant terms.

I've been watching a fair bit of their videos and stuff, and Lars is wearing Black Flag shirts and a bunch of other cool bands. That's awesome.
Old 12.19.2007, 04:39 PM   #92
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OTFp0WEpu7o

master master...
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2007, 04:58 PM   #93
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Cliff Burton would have told them to shove their fucking sad-sack cry baby bullshit Black album and Loaded albums up their motherfucking collective asses.

The black album is SHIT, pure SHIT. It WAS and IS a sell-out album, an album made pURELY to sell records, NOT on metallica's terms, but on pop radio terms, which is the very definition of SELLING OUT.
Old 12.19.2007, 05:01 PM   #94
Norma J
invito al cielo

No, Rob. That's wrong.
Old 12.19.2007, 05:01 PM   #95
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Cliff Burton would have told them to shove their fucking sad-sack cry baby bullshit Black album and Loaded albums up their motherfucking collective asses.

The black album is SHIT, pure SHIT. It WAS and IS a sell-out album, an album made pURELY to sell records, NOT on metallica's terms, but on pop radio terms, which is the very definition of SELLING OUT.

OK, but just to clarify, do you like it?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2007, 05:18 PM   #96
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

ha! too funny there demonrail! mad-reps for yr funny
Old 12.19.2007, 05:29 PM   #97
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Metallica are shit

gar tesbaba yehe ene. (I agree with this)

metallica zägnañ new! (Metallica sucks!)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2007, 12:34 AM   #98
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
well, first and formost i should say that its rediculous and absurd that the term(s) "selling out" are derogatory. i mean...selling out is whenever ya change either a way of thought or an approach on something to something else...and wether it be good or bad...metallica certainly did that on the black album.

The shitty term "selling out" refers to a band changing their sound to fit in or whatever - they're selling themselves to make money. it's not when a band changes their sound for artistic pleasure, otherwise you could count Ride the Lightning as their 'sell out' album as it was different than Kill 'Em All. Infact people claimed they sold out during Kill 'Em All because they signed to a major. It's a redundant and boring term to describe music as.

The "selling out" album if you really want to get anal and use such silly terminology would be St.Anger considering they tried to get the sound of the current times. They didn't do this with the Black album - other metal bands fucking copied them.
Old 12.20.2007, 12:41 AM   #99
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
much as people seem to go on about them, i just can't listen to them.
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2007, 01:14 AM   #100
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
much as people seem to go on about them, i just can't listen to them.

I was like that. Well, I liked them when I was younger, my early teens, and grew up listening to them due to a sibling and his mates, but then as I got older I grew a strong distaste for the band. As soon as someone said "Met..." I'd cringe and not wanna hear another word from ther mouths. But I've always loved their films. I copied A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica prt 1 & 2 off a brothers mate and I've always watched them whenever I felt the urge, even when I detested the band - they're just fucking interesting films, in the studio and on the road. I watched prt 2 again the other day for the first time in ages, and I found myself appreciating them alot more nowdays. So I came on here and ordered Master of Puppets because I have a craving for their early shit.

awww, nice story huh?
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth