Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Radiohead, A Moon Shaped Pool: new album, out now
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.15.2016, 01:50 PM   #161
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
You're young louder? Good for you, man!

I was gonna say, who among us is not at least starting to approach middle age? Seriously... If you remember Nirvana and Tim Burton's Batman and the fucking George H.W. Bush administration, you're pushing 40. Radiohead is "for" anyone who likes them, but their core audience is late '30s by now.

They're doing a damn site better than Pink Floyd circa the fucking Division Bell, I'll tell you that much. Because I remember that shitty album, 'cause I'm fucking ancient.
In my mid 20's now. Still got my whole life ahead of me, huh? LOL.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2016, 01:56 PM   #162
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I feel a little bad about dissing Black Star. I used to love that song... back when I loved, like, "Mayonnaise" by Smashing Pumpkins. The Bends was one of my favorite records for years and years. I even preferred it to OK Computer for a while.
Man that's another song I LOVED back when I thought Radiohead was the hottest thing since sliced bread.
Old 05.15.2016, 05:03 PM   #163
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
In my mid 20's now. Still got my whole life ahead of me, huh? LOL.

What the fuck?! I thought you were a thirty-(mumble-mumble) like NR and SFAD and my wrinkly white ass. !!!

This is kinda weird, man. Do you remember when Midnight Marauders and 36 Chambers dropped? Do you remember Ross Perot? Tupac and Biggie's deaths? Please tell me you remember Pac and Big.

I took comfort in the illusion that I was among other old farts here. You're rocking my world, bro.

Still, major (and I mean MAJOR) props to you for being less than 30 and having any appreciation at all for Tribe, Wu, Jay, Sonic Youth, and so on. Like, insane props. I work with a couple of 22-24 year olds, and they don't know SHIT about SHIT.

You are the man/boy, louder! Seriously.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2016, 08:45 PM   #164
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Ok! I want to do a top ten Radiohead song thing to keep this thread from eating itself alive. WHO'S IN?!
Old 05.15.2016, 09:49 PM   #165
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I told you this record is just one extended track. there are no better or worse, it is a composition

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2016, 11:48 PM   #166
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I told you this record is just one extended track. there are no better or worse, it is a composition

Ok, first of all, I'm talking about career spanning top ten lists.

Second, it's actually not one extended track. If it was, it would, y'know, be one track. It's 11 tracks. You think it's supposed to all flow together? That's what albums do. It's an album, made up of 11 tracks, no matter how well you think they work together.

And third, if it was one track, and I was only asking only about this album, there are still moments that people prefer to other moments. Jesus heavenly Christ you're difficult man.

But I'm pretty sure you could throw together a list of your top ten Radiohead songs, without compromising your unwavering belief about this album just being one giant song (which it isn't.)
Old 05.16.2016, 12:45 AM   #167
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Ok, first of all, I'm talking about career spanning top ten lists.

Second, it's actually not one extended track. If it was, it would, y'know, be one track. It's 11 tracks. You think it's supposed to all flow together? That's what albums do. It's an album, made up of 11 tracks, no matter how well you think they work together.

And third, if it was one track, and I was only asking only about this album, there are still moments that people prefer to other moments. Jesus heavenly Christ you're difficult man.

But I'm pretty sure you could throw together a list of your top ten Radiohead songs, without compromising your unwavering belief about this album just being one giant song (which it isn't.)

I'm not being difficult just honest. you didn't say top ten radiohead songs, I thought you meant rank this album. Like i said, I just can't do that. It isn't personal its just how I feel right now. Are there moments I like more than others? Maybe, but that changes all the time. Right now I am enjoying the transition between the first two tracks and that transition you didn't like around "I'm just getting off the train.."

and please don't blaspheme its unnecessary

Old 05.16.2016, 10:37 AM   #168
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm not being difficult just honest. you didn't say top ten radiohead songs, I thought you meant rank this album. Like i said, I just can't do that. It isn't personal its just how I feel right now. Are there moments I like more than others? Maybe, but that changes all the time. Right now I am enjoying the transition between the first two tracks and that transition you didn't like around "I'm just getting off the train.."

and please don't blaspheme its unnecessary

What, the "Jesus Heavenly Christ" thing? I don't actually see that as blasphemous. It's more like an appeal to Mr. C to help guide me through the insanely difficult experience of communicating with you

I called him "heavenly" after all, when traditionally he's supposed to be an earthy manifestation. Anyway...

How's about talking about our favorite Radiohead songs?
Old 05.16.2016, 10:39 AM   #169
Severian
invito al cielo

Isn't your religion derived from Zorastrianism, which predates Christianity by, like, hella?
Old 05.16.2016, 01:00 PM   #170
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
What, the "Jesus Heavenly Christ" thing? I don't actually see that as blasphemous. It's more like an appeal to Mr. C to help guide me through the insanely difficult experience of communicating with you

I called him "heavenly" after all, when traditionally he's supposed to be an earthy manifestation. Anyway...

How's about talking about our favorite Radiohead songs?
Ok ill take that.. i don't usually badger people about it BUT we're friends and it was directed at me..

And why would i be a Zoroastrian? I'm an Orthodox Christian, doesn't get any more integrally Christian than that!

Old 05.16.2016, 01:04 PM   #171
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

My all time fav radiohead songs?

In no order

Optimistic
Creep
There There
2 + 2= 5
National Anthem
Pyramid Song
Gloaming
15 Step
Videotape (live version circa 2006)
Weird Fishes
Give Up The Ghost

Old 05.16.2016, 02:14 PM   #172
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
is ed sheeran in this band? i saw the video for daydreaming, they have some aging tramp wandering around for no reason, it's utterly shit. is it supposed to be like a comment on the alienated yet fragile state of contemporary man as he is reduced to a silent spectator under the regime of digital capitalism? i don't know what radiohead where trying to say with this, maybe trying to make themselves look like authentic arty proles rather than the upper class oxford snobs they are. sneering alterna rock posh kids from oxford, the post modern equivalent of 19th century borgeious 'let them eat cake' snobs. do you know how thom yorke is actually pronounced? it's pronounced "th-om yor-ke'" (the e has an umlaut but my keyboard can't do it).

also you have to hate these fucking cunts for the jizzspolsion the press had when they released some crappy late era album as a pay what you want stream. like they were the first to do that. sorry. nothing this band have done has been any good since "origin of symmetry".

this "burn the witch" song, supposed to be some radical comment on the mob mentality, that's great coming from a bunch of lords in their shire mansions which is what radiohead are. th-om yorke was just a late 90's fashion model that got big because of that trend where they used semi-deformed and retarded people in high end brand name advertisizing campaigns because it was so 'avant'. look at how he has let himself go these days, he looks like he should be begging money for cider out of a sleeping bag. also, in this burn the witch video they burn a lot of wood - i thought th-ome was going to save us all by nagging us about our carbon footprint and not having any logos at his gigs? do you think th-omes' maid thinks he's a tortured genius when she's dusting his grimy cider stained sheets? please tell me how that face and that haircut don't have "just stabbed my community practice nurse with a plastic fork and now i'm off to rob the off licence before they catch me" written all over it.

in conclusion i will pay whatever i chose which is zero to not have to have any of this bands stuff on my hard drive, taking up precious bits which could be better put to use emitting c02. i give this 2 gifs of morose thome yorke banging a single midi keyboard note over and over and making a million pounds then sending his assistant out to buy warp records entire catalogue to find new ideas now that they've used up all the pixies riffs out of 10.

i stand by this thome yokre should be fired
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2016, 05:57 PM   #173
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ok ill take that.. i don't usually badger people about it BUT we're friends and it was directed at me..

And why would i be a Zoroastrian? I'm an Orthodox Christian, doesn't get any more integrally Christian than that!

Pardon me... I thought you were an -- errm, how to put this sensitively -- an "Iron Lion of Zion," so to speak, or some variation thereof.

For a guy with a minor in religious philosophy, I actually don't know much about the Eastern Orthodox Church. Didn't come up much in college.

Forgive me for my ignorance. I promise I'm not trying in any way to be offensive with this post... rather, I'm trying to pad my ignorance with humour that I hope is at least passingly sensitive.
Old 05.16.2016, 08:37 PM   #174
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Pardon me... I thought you were an -- errm, how to put this sensitively -- an "Iron Lion of Zion," so to speak, or some variation thereof.

For a guy with a minor in religious philosophy, I actually don't know much about the Eastern Orthodox Church. Didn't come up much in college.

Forgive me for my ignorance. I promise I'm not trying in any way to be offensive with this post... rather, I'm trying to pad my ignorance with humour that I hope is at least passingly sensitive.
Forgive my lack of clarity. I'm and also Rastafari. I joined the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church ten years ago as well. HIM Haile Selassie sent the Tewahedo Church to the Caribbean in the 1950s, i have become part of that legacy. In Rastafari there are essentially four mansions: nyahbinghi theocratic order, Bobo Congress, Twelve Tribes, and Orthodox.

Old 05.16.2016, 08:39 PM   #175
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Forgive my lack of clarity. I'm and also Rastafari. I joined the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church ten years ago as well. HIM Haile Selassie sent the Tewahedo Church to the Caribbean in the 1950s, i have become part of that legacy. In Rastafari there are essentially four mansions: nyahbinghi theocratic order, Bobo Congress, Twelve Tribes, and Orthodox.

Yeah, see... we didn't cover a lot of that when I was an undergrad. It was mostly, you know, Siddhartha n' shit.
Old 05.16.2016, 08:53 PM   #176
Severian
invito al cielo

Ok, my favorite Radiohead album cuts are:

10. High and Dry
9. I Might Be Wrong
8. Airbag
7. Karma Police
6. National Anthem
5. kid a
4. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
3. Idioteque
2. There There
1. Myxomatosis

Factoring in b-sides and unreleased tracks is just too massive of an undertaking. It would require me to dig deep into my collection and into my memory. It would be a gargantuan waste of time.

Not prepared to put anything from A Moon Shaped Pool in the top 10 yet, though Ful Stop and Burn the Witch are really worming their way into my brain.

But basically, it's There There and Myxo. Those songs are peak Radiohead.
Old 05.16.2016, 09:15 PM   #177
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah, see... we didn't cover a lot of that when I was an undergrad. It was mostly, you know, Siddhartha n' shit.
Well to be fair you have to dig really hard to find anything from the key words i mentioned and i know this because for my directed readings programs and a few immigrants and cultural diversity courses i did the research. Lets call it in oral history.

Old 05.17.2016, 03:20 AM   #178
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
What the fuck?! I thought you were a thirty-(mumble-mumble) like NR and SFAD and my wrinkly white ass. !!!

This is kinda weird, man. Do you remember when Midnight Marauders and 36 Chambers dropped? Do you remember Ross Perot? Tupac and Biggie's deaths? Please tell me you remember Pac and Big.

I took comfort in the illusion that I was among other old farts here. You're rocking my world, bro.

Still, major (and I mean MAJOR) props to you for being less than 30 and having any appreciation at all for Tribe, Wu, Jay, Sonic Youth, and so on. Like, insane props. I work with a couple of 22-24 year olds, and they don't know SHIT about SHIT.

You are the man/boy, louder! Seriously.
Thanks man. I'm young but I have a bit of an "older" soul in me, I guess..
Old 05.17.2016, 08:44 AM   #179
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quick-pick list spanning most of there main releases. No real order other than chronologically as I quickly went through the albums. (although Street Spirit will probably always be the top of my list for the importance it holds on my getting into Radiohead in the first place)

Street Spirit
Paranoid Android
Let Down
Everything In It’s Right Place
The National Anthem
Optimistic
I Might Be Wrong
Where I End and You Begin
House of Cards
Morning Mr. Magpie
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2016, 08:54 AM   #180
Severian
invito al cielo

Ooh, I always forget Where I End You Begin. That's definitely an iconic track, because of the climax. "I will eat you alive, I will eat you alive, there'll be no more lies" ... Oh man. Kickass song!

I also love "Morning Mr. Magpie," but, as with all of TKOL, I tend to think of the album as one steady, pulsing heartbeat. It's really hard to pick out favorite tracks from that one. Not that I don't have my fave TKOL tracks (Separator, Staircase from the basement, and Give up the Ghost all qualify), it's just that none of them stand out enough in comparison to the surrounding material for me to put them on an "all time" list.

The opposite is the case with the tracks I named. I wet through each album too, and picked the songs that still punch me in the balls from each one. "Karma Police" is without a doubt a major highlight of OKC for me, as "kid a" and "National Anthem" are on Kid A and "There There"/"Myxo" are on HTTT.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth