Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page New Stooges Out today?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.20.2007, 11:21 AM   #21
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
I think is is... the music's bland, his vocals are bland, the lyrics are bland. Like someone else mentioned in a different thread it sounds like a bad Iggy Pop album from the 90's. I had a great time watching them at ATP so I'm glad they got together again a few years ago, but this album really wasn't necessary in my opinion.

yeah, as i progress through the rest of the tracks & find "free and freaky" i just feel bad for this outdated piece of rocknroll cliches.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 11:24 AM   #22
sarramkrop

Even this horrendous thing could be deemed better than that:

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 11:29 AM   #23
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
I think is is... the music's bland, his vocals are bland, the lyrics are bland. Like someone else mentioned in a different thread it sounds like a bad Iggy Pop album from the 90's. I had a great time watching them at ATP so I'm glad they got together again a few years ago, but this album really wasn't necessary in my opinion.
I haven't heard this new Stooges album, but I have heard "Telluric Chaos", which is a live recording of one of the reunion shows, and the new songs on that remind me more of something off "American Caesar" than they do of Stooges tracks.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 12:02 PM   #24
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
i too have heard it is straight up crap
then again, almost all of iggy's solo shit is CRAPPITY

cold metal (case in point)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVzcs9Ygb5Q

this video is hillarious.

oh shit! First the dancing got me--- but then the giant brown thing flying on wires with the line "rust buckets in the sky" ohhhh shit
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 12:05 PM   #25
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
i've seen it in the shop a week ago, but didn't buy it...
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 12:29 PM   #26
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Damnit. Damnit. Damnit.
I downloaded it and it's way dissapointing.. (needless to say)
My hopes were high.
I mean, this is the same dudes that released Fun House!
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 12:31 PM   #27
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
the only good thing about that travesty known as the new stooges album is the drumming, scott asheton really kills if you listen closely; the drums are also the only part i reckon sounds like albini behind the board.

if this was released as "iggy pop featuring the asheton bros. plus mike watt" then it would be considered half bad with some ok moments, but it's a damn stooges album, are you telling me you are going to file this right next to funhouse and raw power?

it made me pray for kate pierson.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 12:47 PM   #28
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
well, that sucks ass. I was hoping the stooges were not too complacent and would show the kids how it is done. they may not have "it" anymore.
i was hoping the new breed would learn a thing or two cuz there is a LOT of mediocre sludge rock out there right now.
Old 03.20.2007, 12:54 PM   #29
sarramkrop

But wouldn't 'the kids' learn better by listening to the original Stooges albums instead of listening to the dirge that they just put out? In their case i knew that it would turn out like an embarassing case of your favourite uncle trying to play rock n roll animal with his incontinence nappy on.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 12:58 PM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
very true porks, but a reunited stooges with a good album under their be,lts would rock the country and world and show them the real deal LIVE
Old 03.20.2007, 01:07 PM   #31
sarramkrop

Funnily enough, i was talking to another poster a while ago about how Yow would get away with something like that easily (i think), and that is possibly because of my double standards. It's just that Pop is a little too old for that rock n roll thing now and from good grotesque it just feels like plain grotesque round here.I haven't seen them live in their reunited form but the same poster said that they were good, so there might still be hope for uncle Iggy & Co.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 01:14 PM   #32
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i had to turn off that flash player with the album because it was annoying me. as a way of reparation i'll put funhouse in the turntable, because...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 01:20 PM   #33
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Funnily enough, i was talking to another poster a while ago about Yow would get away with something like that easily (i think) and that is possibly because of my double standards. It's just that Pop is a little too old for that rock n roll thing now and from good grotesque it just feels like plain grotesque round here.I haven't seen them live in their reunited form but the same poster said that they were good, so there might still be hope for uncle Iggy & Co.

it's not so much an age thing as much as it's about staying true to what they do, i mean, iggy's been out of it for like 30 years now, chasing trends and being told what to do, it's pretty hard to go back to that "don't give a fuck" attitude the stooges had when the bulk of his career is based on ill advices.

the proof that age has nothing to do is the reunion shows, everyone raves about them, they still can play and perform...they just can't be the stooges.

and the reason yow might come out and do his shit and get away with it again today is because yow hasn't done much of a musical career, let alone trying to stay relevant. in other words, he's still yow, whether iggy POP can't go back to being iggy stooge.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 01:38 PM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

and Jake Johnasenn would never have been able to go back to NY Dolls (even if they HAD not all died) because of HOT HOT HOT Buster Poindexter!
Old 03.20.2007, 01:38 PM   #35
sarramkrop

That' s very true but there's also the fact that Iggy Pop (more than anyone else in The Stooges) suffers from prolonged exposure in the annals of rock n roll, or simply that thin line from being popular enough to be known by a wider public but not popular enough to be overexposed in the media.The animal quality of rock n roll music has been attached to his image and records for such a long time and is something that helped sales of tickets for his gigs, records etc for so many years.Now that has lost any appeal because they are things that are generally expected by younger musicians who also rarely deliver like old Iggy was able to.Yow has generally inhabited a much more sheltered life, away from having his name and picture on so many musical and non- musical publications, therefore i assume that he would have much less pressure to cope with when he performs or makes music.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth