Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Who do you think is more influential: The Beatles or The Ramones
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Ramones or Beatles
Beatles 37 90.24%
Ramones 3 7.32%
can't decide 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05.20.2009, 02:57 PM   #61
sarramkrop

He probably was. There wouldn't be anything anomalous about such a thing. That he wanted The Beatles to be more like him is total speculation. Weren't they fans of a lot of music to start with? Especially McCartney, who liked a lot more experimental stuff.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 03:06 PM   #62
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Yes. I've never said they were influenced by Beefheart, just that Lennon was a fan. McCartney was an Albert Ayler fanatic at the time Lennon was into Beefheart. I don't think there's much evidence of an influence there either. He did play George Martin some Ayler with the idea of incorporating some of it into the band's work but Martin put the block on it. Maybe the same thing happened with Lennon's Beefheart infatuation.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 03:19 PM   #63
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
The Beatles for the win.

And Wikipedia agrees: The Beatles influence on rock music and popular culture was—and remains—immense. Their commercial success started an almost immediate wave of changes—including a shift from US global dominance of rock and roll to UK acts, from soloists to groups, from professional songwriters to self-penned songs, and to changes in fashion.

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 03:51 PM   #64
dntrecords
children of satan

dntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's asses
the beatles more or less invented the ALBUM. and they sold millions of records. you guys don't seem to get it doesn't matter if you like them or not. I fucking hate hitler, but that doesn't change that was one of the most, if not the most, influential person of the 20th century
dntrecords is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 04:41 PM   #65
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Yes. I've never said they were influenced by Beefheart, just that Lennon was a fan. McCartney was an Albert Ayler fanatic at the time Lennon was into Beefheart. I don't think there's much evidence of an influence there either. He did play George Martin some Ayler with the idea of incorporating some of it into the band's work but Martin put the block on it. Maybe the same thing happened with Lennon's Beefheart infatuation.

Tell that to atsonicpark. I wasn't referring to you.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 04:58 PM   #66
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
the ramones influenced much, but nowheer on the level of the beatles.

the ramones stole all their riffs from chuck berry anywayzzzz

the beatles influenced EVERY SINGLE ROCK BAND, from Black Sabbath (ozzy's favorite band) to MGMT

beatles haterz need to grow up.
Old 05.20.2009, 05:08 PM   #67
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

the beatles influenced EVERY SINGLE ROCK BAND, from Black Sabbath (ozzy's favorite band) to MGMT

beatles haterz need to grow up.

This is the sort of writing that sometimes makes me think that most rock fans are mislead in their assimilation of rock music history more by what they read, rather than what they listen to. Unless with 'the Beatles influenced EVERY SINGLE ROCK BAND'' you are just kidding.

The Beatles influenced a lot of bands, not the overwhelming majority of them, though. The Beatles influenced a lot of good bands, and many more that are rubbish too. They are the most influential, that still doesn't mean they have to be regarded as the best by everyone, since personally their records leave me cold, save for the odd song. And I am not alone in this.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 05:10 PM   #68
sarramkrop

I like the Ramones too, not mad about them. I'd rather listen to The Byrds, much more of an influence on me, than The Beatles or The Ramones.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 05:15 PM   #69
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
the ramones influenced thousands of bands that sound like them, but they had such a simplistic style that their influence doesn't leave punk rock so much.

the beatles had different eras and styles that all have influence. not only was there many bands back in the day trying to sound like them and look like them. but their influence is felt in bands who sound NOTHING like them. the way they put their melodies together, the flow of their albums etc. has been copied so much that you could hear a song that's been influenced by the beatles in 5 different ways and not even realise it.

i don't know where this information comes from but i heard that the beatles were the #1 most bootlegged artist in the world(believable)

people in zimbabwe listen to the beatles and get ideas from it.

basically, the ramones influenced a shitload of bands who sound like them, the beatles spawned a shitload of bands who sound like them AND influenced thousands of other artists who sound nothing like them.
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 05:17 PM   #70
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Kraftwerk

Just to divert this a second - while I'm not disagreeing that Kraftwerk continue to be influential, I'm surprised that Herr Clone mentioned it. Because I think of Kraftwerk as the Beatles of dance music - y'know, hip-hop, techno, house, jungle, Happy Hardcore and other stuff is all of the 'Werk lineage. All stuff that I wouldn't necessarily associate with Herr Clone.

I don't get the Beatles, but it doesn't really bother me.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 05:20 PM   #71
sarramkrop

The point I was trying to make is that The Beatles haven't influenced every band for sure. And certainly not all the good ones.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 05:22 PM   #72
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
"I don't give a shit about Beatles songs, written 100 years before I was born."

I'd just like to point out that, in spite of the fact I don't get hardcore, or Americans, I personally consider NOU more influential on me than the Beatles. And that's without factoring shoes into the equation.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 05.20.2009, 05:24 PM   #73
Glice
invito al cielo

Oh, and the only time I hear the Beatles in other people's music is when people do a descending major 7th-5th on the rhythm guitar of bridges.

Quote:
Old 05.20.2009, 05:26 PM   #74
sarramkrop

Same goes for The Velvet Underground. As much as I am a fan, I can tell they have had their fair share of crap influence on quite a bunch of bands.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 05:32 PM   #75
Glice
invito al cielo

Now VU I can only ever hear in Galaxie 500 and Loop and that sort of fey indie. I can never hear them anywhere else. Lou Reed, certainly, but VU very rarely.

Quote:
Old 05.20.2009, 05:36 PM   #76
sarramkrop

It's outdated to think of a hegemony of bands that still hold the torch when it comes to influencing other musicians in this time and age.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 05:54 PM   #77
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

diskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's asses

“If all you need is love and money can't buy you love, then why are you asking us all to give you money? Because that's what you want? FOR DRUGS?”

Oscar Wilde on contradictory song lyrics
diskaholic-anonymous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2009, 06:25 PM   #78
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

diskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's asses

this why i said the ramones are more influential (but i believe Velvet Underground are more)

"The Ramones were an extremely famous Progressive Rock supergroup and mafia family. They're famous for their long compositions (most songs often surpassed 10 minutes) complex time signatures (13/8 or 33559/0 for example). The original line-up consisted of Joey on mellotron, Johnny on lead vocals and cowbell, Dee Dee on drums, Marky on guitar, and Cubby on bass and, occasionally lute. They formed a band in 1984 which eventually lead to a series of top selling records. Their music was extremely complex, comparable to neo-classical, but with obvious art-rock/avant-garde influences (All of the Ramones frequently stated that their favourite bands were King Crimson, Yes and Pink Floyd). All the members of the group are well known virtuosos: The guitarist's solos would often last 9 minutes, and in his prime, he was actually capable of playing 2 guitars, a bass and the drums simultaneously. They are responsible for the Boston Massacre".
Old 05.20.2009, 06:45 PM   #79
sarramkrop

No mention of The Rolling Stones yet? Lame thread.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2009, 03:21 AM   #80
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
No mention of The Rolling Stones yet? Lame thread.

do you mean The Who?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth