Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Spice Girls
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.22.2007, 07:19 PM   #41
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Goes for them and all the girl bands people on here think it's ok to pretend to like. It's getting tired now.

FUCKING A.
I really don't udnerstand this whole bullshit idea that somehow something you liked as an idiot-child is still good today. As everyone knows, IT SIMPLY IS NOT. YOU JUST WANT TO LOOK HIP + IRONIC. I'm surprised there isn't dogshit praise for High School Musical or Rent on the board.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2007, 09:03 PM   #42
contrelefuckingsexisme
stalker

contrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
FUCKING A.
I really don't udnerstand this whole bullshit idea that somehow something you liked as an idiot-child is still good today. As everyone knows, IT SIMPLY IS NOT. YOU JUST WANT TO LOOK HIP + IRONIC. I'm surprised there isn't dogshit praise for High School Musical or Rent on the board.

It isn't still good today. It's still the same today.
The difference is that I think that it's not that bad, and you think it's the worst thing ever.
Old 08.22.2007, 10:05 PM   #43
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Sporty Spice was the only hot one. In fact, relatively speaking, Melanie Chisholm is still the hottest of the group.

As for their music I found them either terribly forgettable or mind numbingly catch but good on ya for staying true the music you like despite "hip" opinion.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2007, 09:37 AM   #44
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
ginger spice was hot for about 2 minutes.

Old 08.23.2007, 10:03 AM   #45
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePits
They are the perfect example of manufactured pop and mass marketing in the music industry.
The person/people behind the idea were pure genii

Probably they were the UK's answer to the Max Martin powerhouse of the 90s+early 2000s - Britney, Backstreet boys, Nsync, Ace of base, 5ive, westlife, the list goes on and on... *shrugs*
FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2007, 10:16 AM   #46
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
FUCKING A.

I do see your point and I assumed on starting this thread some would think it was some attempt at coming across as Ironic. Its not. I really believe some of the music was rather excellent. You could attribute their success to marketing (and that probebly is the biggest reason) but their influence and legacy goes far and beyond the standard manufactured Boy/Girl group thing. The Spice Girls were such a big phenomena that if you were a kid in the late 90's it consumed 2 or 3 years, it was unavoidable. This is why many of us can't help but look back to The Spice Girls with a sense of nostagia. It was the music of our childhood. Does this mean the music is good? I'm not in a position to judge. For me the music goes beyond that and I suppose being that quite a few people on this board are about my age, that was the intention of the thread.
Old 08.23.2007, 06:53 PM   #47
contrelefuckingsexisme
stalker

contrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
I do see your point and I assumed on starting this thread some would think it was some attempt at coming across as Ironic. Its not. I really believe some of the music was rather excellent. You could attribute their success to marketing (and that probebly is the biggest reason) but their influence and legacy goes far and beyond the standard manufactured Boy/Girl group thing. The Spice Girls were such a big phenomena that if you were a kid in the late 90's it consumed 2 or 3 years, it was unavoidable. This is why many of us can't help but look back to The Spice Girls with a sense of nostagia. It was the music of our childhood. Does this mean the music is good? I'm not in a position to judge. For me the music goes beyond that and I suppose being that quite a few people on this board are about my age, that was the intention of the thread.

EEEEE!!
that's the way it is!
Old 08.23.2007, 07:01 PM   #48
contrelefuckingsexisme
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Sporty Spice was the only hot one. In fact, relatively speaking, Melanie Chisholm is still the hottest of the group.

As for their music I found them either terribly forgettable or mind numbingly catch but good on ya for staying true the music you like despite "hip" opinion.

people shouldn't care about the "hip" opinion.
I hate it when people refuse to tell what they used to listen to when they were kids. i've had friends who would talk shit about britney spears, and had her posters everywhere 3 years before.
I stopped talking to those persons because i can't stand it.
I believe people are too worried about what the other might say...i must admit i had been like that at some point of my life. but when i started playing instruments and meeting musicians, I learnt how to find good things in every artist.
I can listen to almost anything right now and find good things on them. britney spears, backstreet boys, 5ive, hanson, justin timberlake, vanessa hudgens (HSM's bitch), SPICE GIRLS, anything. black eyed peas, whatever.
I even used to feel ashamed of ABBA's listeners and now i think they are the greatest. Even A-Teens. I love their first album.
The thing about the Spice Girls is that I find them genious NOW because I liked them once before. If they happened right now, I would find some good parts on their songs but I wouldn't mind to listen to a complete album.
Old 08.23.2007, 07:02 PM   #49
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
young people today don't even know they're born!
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2007, 09:10 AM   #50
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I listened to Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Van Halen, Def leppard, etc. when I was 8-12 or so. Quiet Riot and Def leppard were my favorites.
Old 08.24.2007, 09:59 AM   #51
racehorse
100%

racehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's asses
i think i must have had a bit of quality control when i was younger as i never listened to those artists that contre mentioned.
my first loves were african drumming and bob dylan.
Old 08.24.2007, 12:02 PM   #52
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
My first love was Opera, then I got onto the BeeGees and Michael Jackson, then I went through a pop-punk (or whatever you wanna call it) stage that led on to a short metal stage. I was snapped out of this by The Smashing Pumpkins that got me into Alternative-Rock which in turn got me into Sonic Youth that lead to indie/experimental music. At this point I rediscovered Classical music and in particular 20th Century Classical music. Now I listen to so much its not a stage anymore.
Old 08.24.2007, 05:45 PM   #53
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
FUCKING A.

I don't really get this bullshit idea that whatever you're into now won't change. How old are you? I'd wager younger than me. What d'you think you'll be listening to in ten years? Twenty? Same stuff you're listening to now? You won't. People change. That change means that what you hold so dear when you're younger means much less as you get older. It also means that, as you get older, whatever bullshit indie bollocks you feel about decent pop changes as well, unless you manage to pull off the puritanical lifestyle - in which case: kudos! You're old and no-one likes you.

Seriously, your attitude will mean fuck all in less than 5 years.

If people can recognise music they enjoy, whatever age they are, then more power to them. If other people can recognise that, more power to them also. If other people also don't like it, then more power to them. If other people want to be cunts towards people based on half-arsed, hackneyed opinions that didn't mean anything in 1981, then they should just cunt the fuck off.

And, incidentally, T&B can take the piss out of me because a) He's dying of AIDS & b) He does actually know what he's talking about and is taking the piss in a genuine fashion, rather than being oh-so-fucking-cool and set in his ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2007, 05:52 PM   #54
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by contrelefuckingsexisme
people shouldn't care about the "hip" opinion.
Yeah we know.

EDIT: Sporty Spice without the lame gym clothes

mmmm yes
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2007, 08:04 PM   #55
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
...I'm surprised there isn't dogshit praise for High School Musical or Rent on the board.

i wouldn't know about dogshit, but i love rent.

when i was in high school, they talk a lot of schools on a field trip to see it, i was waaaaaaaaaay into metal, punk, what have you (my favorite bands back then were probably radiohead, massive attack, atari teenage riot...those bands are still on top of my list) and i was all "musicals suck, fucking bollocks, blah blah" i was really upset because they made me go to this shit, but then i saw the play and i was really surprised that i actually liked it, i went out singing the songs and thought they were very well written and fit the story well. i still love it and actually i'm surprised i haven't seen the movie.

high school musical is a crock of shit for the simple fact that probably my favorite "genre" in films is of the teen movie persuasion and they pretty much strip everything that's clever and funny about those movies for dumb songs.

also, i wasn't really young when i got into britney, avril, christina, m2m, etc. i was in high school and college even and had been into music for a long time.

ps: yeah, that's the only hot spice girl.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2007, 08:06 PM   #56
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
ps: yeah, that's the only hot spice girl.

You bet. Now if she'd stop pretending she's from Liverpool and admit that Widnes is a completely different place, I'll be happy.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2007, 08:33 PM   #57
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
The Spice Girls were such a big phenomena that if you were a kid in the late 90's it consumed 2 or 3 years, it was unavoidable. This is why many of us can't help but look back to The Spice Girls with a sense of nostagia. It was the music of our childhood. Does this mean the music is good? I'm not in a position to judge. For me the music goes beyond that and I suppose being that quite a few people on this board are about my age, that was the intention of the thread.
To be honest, I was a 90s kid, and I didn't like the Spice Girls... at all. I was listening to KISS [which is, hilariously, just as big a marketting piece of shit as the Spice Girls] from the time I was like, 6 until I discovered better music.
I do ackowledge their presence in my youth, as does anyone of the time period. As to whether or not yr in any position to judge the music of the Spice Girls... care to explain why you aren't??? Of course you are, otherwise, you are apparently living under yr own fascist rule.
To summarize*, of course they were an "important" part of youth culture throughout the 1990's, but that in no way justifies saying they are somehow worth praise or... fuck it, a reunion tour. It's hogwash, and even amongst the people that are going to see any Spice Girls reunion crap (probably teenage girls and the like) it is still about maintaining some hip irony status... seriously. Irony is hip everywhere, not just in the independent music world. Nobody actually cares to see or hear it, they just want to be able to say they have seen or hear it, because that, in this backward-ass society, is totally rad.
And of course, the finale to all my rants and raves, a relation to Nazism and fascism! Nazism was all the rage back in the 30s and so, yet we don't look back on that and say, "Hm, maybe we should give it another shot, some people had fun back then!" **

*summarize my ass! it's longer than the rest of this crap!
**this last bit is kind of a joke... don't take it seriously...

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2007, 08:49 PM   #58
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Fuck useless nostalgia.

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2007, 10:09 PM   #59
contrelefuckingsexisme
stalker

Ok, whatever.
I'm seeing the Spice Girls on January 24th.

WOhoooo!
Old 08.24.2007, 10:12 PM   #60
contrelefuckingsexisme
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I don't really get this bullshit idea that whatever you're into now won't change. How old are you? I'd wager younger than me. What d'you think you'll be listening to in ten years? Twenty? Same stuff you're listening to now? You won't. People change. That change means that what you hold so dear when you're younger means much less as you get older. It also means that, as you get older, whatever bullshit indie bollocks you feel about decent pop changes as well, unless you manage to pull off the puritanical lifestyle - in which case: kudos! You're old and no-one likes you.

Seriously, your attitude will mean fuck all in less than 5 years.

If people can recognise music they enjoy, whatever age they are, then more power to them. If other people can recognise that, more power to them also. If other people also don't like it, then more power to them. If other people want to be cunts towards people based on half-arsed, hackneyed opinions that didn't mean anything in 1981, then they should just cunt the fuck off.

And, incidentally, T&B can take the piss out of me because a) He's dying of AIDS & b) He does actually know what he's talking about and is taking the piss in a genuine fashion, rather than being oh-so-fucking-cool and set in his ways.

Word.
Gracias.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth