Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.29.2021, 11:56 AM   #24921
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Promising Young Woman.

Hell of a film, I’ll say that. Left me feeling pissed off and sad. It could have been improved in some ways, I think, but overall it’s an important watch.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2021, 10:40 PM   #24922
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Few recently watched:

1. Bloody Kids (1980)- Stephen Frears' film about two young boys (Richard Thomas and Peter Clark) surging through the nocturnal wasteland of new-wave dead end Essex, England after a prank goes horribly wrong is a masterpiece of anarchic energy. With a propulsive soundtrack that swaggers from inspired spaghetti-western theatrics to thudding heavy metal and a camera that swoops and glides around its characters with breathless energy, "Bloody Kids" captivates from the very opening. It only gets better when one of the young boys hooks up with a group of older men and women (led by the manics of Gary Holton) and the film sinks into an orgy of anti-establishment nose thumbing and petty criminality. Made for television and released in 1980, this is a film that deserves a rediscovery for its nervy ambition in representing the nihilistic attitude of punk rock Britain in the late 70's. For the record, the cops (and supposed adults) in this film don't get off easily either.

2. Papa, the Little Boats (1974) - One of four Nelly Kaplan films available on the Criterion channel. Psycho-sexual deception as screwball comedy. Not as good (or biting) as her previous assault on the bourgeoisie, "A Very Curious Girl".

3. Dear Comrades! (2020) - Andrei Konchalovskiy, now in his 80's, is probably best remembered for his long ago Hollywood action hits like "Runaway Train" and "Tango & Cash". With this film, he retraces the appalling tragedy when Russian soldiers opened fire on a protesting factory group. The violence is swift and shocking, and its black and white cinematography adds a layer of grace to the whole affair.

4. The Taste of Violence (1961) - One of my favorite directors to discover over the past few years has been actor-director Robert Hossein. Producing a string of low-key thrillers and bastardized westerns with nary a hint of release on any video format (or streaming) here in the US, it's somewhat thrilling to continue finding small gems like this, as if I'm the only one who knows about them. This 1961 western tracks with the rest of his work, barreling though a variety of themes such as the almost wordless anti-hero Hossein himself plays, a Stockholm syndrome kidnapping, and superfluous camera moves that feel needlessly pompous and so freaking perfect at the same time. Hossein plays Perez, the leader of a band of Mexican outlaws who kidnap the president's daughter (Giovanna Ralli) and then tear themselves apart with jealousy and greed over her return to other revolutionary forces. Often filmed with searing landscapes behind them and never afraid to shy away from horrifying tableaux (such as a group of men hanging alongside a cobblestone street like heavy piñatas), "The Taste of Violence" is a western quite unlike any other.

5. Luz The Flower of Evil (2018) - It looks pretty and all, but the idea behind this slow-burn psychological horror film about a devout rural religious "prophet" and the hell he puts his 3 daughters through isn't pretty at all. I wanted to like it, but just couldn't connect.

6. All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace (2011) - More Adam Curtis films will soon follow as I really dig the rabbit holes he often goes down. This three part, 3 hour documentary enraptures for the first two-thirds, and I don't quite always follow the strands he attempts to weave together, but his image selection and musical cues are second to none.
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2021, 01:51 AM   #24923
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Hook
Old 04.04.2021, 08:32 AM   #24924
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses

This was on the BBC the other day. Very good movie, with typical British sarcastic humour, and it really happened, well most of it at least. Highly recommended if you're into football and even if you're not you probably will still enjoy it

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2021, 08:38 AM   #24925
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Godzilla vs Kong. Unbelievably stupid and poorly written and acted, but there’s monster punching so
Old 04.04.2021, 05:45 PM   #24926
Skuj
expwy. to yr skull

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
East Of Eden. (On TCM right now.)

Damn, Dean had a great screen presence.
Old 04.04.2021, 06:56 PM   #24927
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
yesterday i think?

american ultra

i wanted a dumb movie but this was actually funny and better than i expected.

end credits are the best though!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2021, 11:03 PM   #24928
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
also little gem of a film by sydney lumet.

leser known or iconic than 12 angry men or dog day afternoon or serpico or network but still highly enjoyable.

saw it many years ago on tv and never forgot it. i finally got to see it complete! loved it ha ha ha. great cast too.

his last one too was excellent, "before the devil knows you're dead" . what a director!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #24929
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
The Return of Swamp Thing
Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM   #24930
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

Zombeavers
Old Today, 01:29 AM   #24931
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
Zombeavers
Just watched the trailer, that was great but wouldn't want to see the entire movie

I saw Love & Monsters yesterday which is new on Netflix
If you liked Zombeavers you should watch it. The special effects are Oscar nominated!

I'll start Sunday morning with Captain Fantastic. I've already seen it a while ago but then I had missed the very beginning of it.

Old Today, 08:35 AM   #24932
Severian
invito al cielo

I watched the Killing of a Sacred Deer. Such a weird movie.
Old Today, 10:31 AM   #24933
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Love & Mercy- Quite enjoyed it.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old Today, 10:41 AM   #24934
_tunic_
invito al cielo

I can't wait for the sequel Love, Mercy and Monsters where Brian Wilson needs to walk from his home to the studio to record his next album in a monster-infested world

747114711971237124412451246 1247
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth