Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Crap Music Releases 2014 (and other let downs)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.23.2014, 01:31 AM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
War Paint Self-Titled. Whoa. This record is a totally boring let down compared to what they had achieved live. Their first record was ok, but it seems that is their recording style. Very different from the stage show, and I'm just totally not interested. The first two songs are fucking KICK ASS, its like, why doesn't the rest of this record sound like that?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2014, 12:59 AM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
(bump)

St. Vincent self-titled..

I like REALLY REALLY want to like her but I just can't get into it.. Its not like its necessarily bad, I just really don't find it any good. Classify this in "other let downs"

Old 06.28.2014, 06:20 AM   #3
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
everything in hiphop and rap

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2014, 08:34 AM   #4
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
(bump)

St. Vincent self-titled..

I like REALLY REALLY want to like her but I just can't get into it.. Its not like its necessarily bad, I just really don't find it any good. Classify this in "other let downs"

really? I dig it. Birth in Reverse though.....that song is perfect imo. There are (more than) a few songs that I find quite forgettable(generic)...but I think she's definitely talented....and she really puts on a great show.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2014, 01:02 AM   #5
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
a variety of people and the night life here past months.
on the other hand, some other people keep proving to be further away from a let down, like years of light away, so you know everything is part of the procedure. blahblahblahzzzzzzzzzz
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
War Paint Self-Titled. Whoa. This record is a totally boring let down compared to what they had achieved live. Their first record was ok, but it seems that is their recording style. Very different from the stage show, and I'm just totally not interested. The first two songs are fucking KICK ASS, its like, why doesn't the rest of this record sound like that?

I quite like it actually, I dig the Cure / Cocteau Twins / Siouxsie reminiscences. It's true though that the first two tracks are so good they stand out a bit too much compared to the other - quieter - tracks.
Old 07.17.2014, 07:42 PM   #7
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
They were awful and forgettable when I saw them. Goes to show what being "connected" can do for a bland and inoffensive band.
Not even very "dreamy" to my ears; I certainly heard little of the supposed Siouxsie influence. They sounded super 90s to me, and not in a good way. Like Luscious Jackson with flangers.
Naked emperor crap.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2014, 08:28 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
They were awful and forgettable when I saw them. Goes to show what being "connected" can do for a bland and inoffensive band.
Not even very "dreamy" to my ears; I certainly heard little of the supposed Siouxsie influence. They sounded super 90s to me, and not in a good way. Like Luscious Jackson with flangers.
Naked emperor crap.

Who Warpaint? That is what sucks the most because in 2009 they were something epic hence why they were my main motivation in make this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
It's true though that the first two tracks are so good they stand out a bit too much compared to the other - quieter - tracks.

I didn't totally NOT like this record, its just that those first two tracks reflect what I've liked most about Warpaint, and indeed, what I like most I REALLY REALLY dig. I just have come to realize (a) I don't really like their studio records and (b) I really just like what they were doing live in 2009 and I'm ok with that

Old 07.23.2014, 04:46 AM   #9
Jim72
little trouble girl

Jim72 kicks all y'all's assesJim72 kicks all y'all's assesJim72 kicks all y'all's assesJim72 kicks all y'all's assesJim72 kicks all y'all's assesJim72 kicks all y'all's assesJim72 kicks all y'all's assesJim72 kicks all y'all's assesJim72 kicks all y'all's assesJim72 kicks all y'all's assesJim72 kicks all y'all's asses
St. Vincent for sure, that shit gets so much hype and love on the internet but the entire back half of the album does not contain memorable songs. It's really frustrating. Don't know what anyone was doing expecting anything from Warpaint but Beck's album was unfortunate to me
Jim72 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2014, 05:07 AM   #10
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I think I've listened to about 1 minute of a St Vincent song before I decided they were shit. It really shouldn't take the length of an album to get reliable clues.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2014, 02:01 PM   #11
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I think I've listened to about 1 minute of a St Vincent song before I decided they were shit. It really shouldn't take the length of an album to get reliable clues.

Old 07.23.2014, 02:04 PM   #12
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
haaattteeerrrssss
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2014, 12:22 AM   #13
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
look at my avatar. that's what i look like when i hear most new music. it sucks!!! slightly disturbed. it's the same old shit and fuck a st vincent. throwup.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2014, 12:28 AM   #14
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
everything in hiphop and rap
hip-hop and rap are essentially the same thing
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2014, 02:23 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

I'd say no. In ESSENCE they are radically different, but in common practice there is not much that divides.. Hip hop is more focused on the artistic aspect of the music, rap with the message/sound/production. The overall SOUND is what is not radically different, but the approach is as different as night and day I think..

Old 07.25.2014, 02:38 PM   #16
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
hip hop is a noun. Rap is a verb.
Old 07.25.2014, 06:07 PM   #17
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
so what bullshit boring music did you listen to this year? this thread......man, sucks ass and is depressing.
Old 07.25.2014, 06:07 PM   #18
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

Gotta go ahead and disagree with you on that one bro.

To Rap is to perform an action; namely, to engage in a vocal & verbal form of communication that is essentially a style of singing. But it's really more of a specific type of lyrical delivery, containing elements of poetry and song derived from scat and be-bop, where words and sounds take on some of the role of percussion instruments. As opposed to most styles of singing, rap acts as more of a metronomic devise than a melodic one.

But rap is also a genre of music, or has been in the past. In the early '90s, for instance, when lyrics were so dominant as to make the musical elements of the genre kind of incidental, "Rap" was used to describe most music that contained rapping. But I think that the evolution of electronic music, specifically trip hop, DJ's began to cultivate a unique brand of music that now plays just as large a part in the greater genre as the vocals do. That really took off, and currently O don't believe "rap" is a suitable descriptive term for the genre. Hip-Hop seems to be the end result of 20-30 years of musical evolution. When DJ's and producers started to craft sonic identities based on their personal styles, they were reaching back to the early days of the genre, and imitating the beat-making techniques that early rappers used (tape decks & vinyl records, samples and other things that people who couldn't afford drum sets and didn't know how to play instruments used to keep time and punctuate their vocal delivery) so in a sense hip hop existed, then kinda stopped existing, then came back as a high quality makeover of itself.

Now the music and the vocals are two inseparable parts of the genre, which is why rap isn't a valid substitute term for hip-hop.

Instrumentals like those championed by J Dilla, FlyLo, Dibia$e, Dan the Automator, Dj Shadow, etc. are all examples of music that is part of the same musical movement as everything from Grandmaster Flash to Yeezy, but none of them are "rap" artists. They're certainly hip hop though. And the same would be true of an unaccompanied rapper free styling over nothing. It's all hip hop. Most hip hop contains at rap, but the two are not really the same thing.

It's just the colloquial semantics surrounding the trends in the culture that have made it this way. Not any hard & fast rule. Call it what you want.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2014, 06:08 PM   #19
foreverasskiss
Banned

see!!! Severian is a team player.

he makes genuine posts instead of claiming what he ate today.
Old 07.25.2014, 08:51 PM   #20
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Wow I sounded like such a whopping big d-bag that I could have passed for an anthropology student.. My apologies.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth