Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Kurt Cobain Death Investigation Reopened
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.01.2014, 09:11 PM   #81
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirttail
They played what he wanted them to play on his songs.

So he cracked the whip then?

Quote:
We'd still have those songs if Grohl and Krist had never existed.

Because you know.. they weren't human or anything.

Quote:
It's like saying Drumbo & Zoot Horn Rollo should control Beefheart's estate.

That is an entirely different kind of artist or band. Krist and Kurt wrote all their songs together when they first formed the band, and that dynamic only shifted slightly after Nevermind. However, Kurt did not write the bass or drum instrumentation, so logically those who did deserve their cut, whatever it should be. The way the Nirvana royalties are structured is that Krist and Dave were given 100% of a small porton of the songs so that the math would add up as to being roughly 1/3.. HOWEVER this piece meal situation set it up so that later Courtney cold posthumously release material that the Cobain estate owned exclusively and NOT release anything that Dave and Krist owned EVEN if they played on it and FURTHER what is uglier is that because Kurt did sing or play guitar on the music that KRIST AND DAVE legally own 100% according to those deals Courtney's lawyers have STILL prevent the release. Its why all the 1990s TV performances took so long to come out on DVD, endless legal wrangling and copyright negotiations.

To be sure, Krist and Dave wrote the bass/drumwork in a process with Kurt, and those songs without them are not "finished" or are not necessarily "Nirvana" so much as "Kurt's demo tapes" which is what we hear on some of the With the Lights Out box set material..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2014, 09:53 PM   #82
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe you could argue for Grohl (I don't see putting drum parts to an already formed song as 'writing' personally) but Krist just followed the root notes of the guitar, there's no element of independent writing to that. In a sense, the bass was already written. Drums follow the rhythmic intonations of the song and so aren't uniquely written either. And as far as I know, Dave and Krist had nothing to do with the melodies, song structure or general songwriting except the ones where they're credited. They should only be entitled to performing royalties.

Complain about Courtney all you want but as his wife, she's legally and rightfully entitled to Kurt's share which happens to be bigger than Krist or Dave's (also rightfully so). I'm not really into the whole Yokoisation of Courtney myself so maybe I see it differently.

On a plus note, been jamming Live Through This a lot the past few weeks. Great record!
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2014, 10:55 PM   #83
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I disagree with you derek, and the intro and bass line for Lounge Act is exhibit (a) of Krist's original contributions. Here is milk it Exhibit (b) these are songs that include bass fills and riffs that are not exactly just paralleling the guitar parts.. Also, even when playing the same notes as Kurt, Krist clearly brought a groove, feel, and tempo to the songs which is evident in their evolution from solo guitar on Kurt's demo tapes to finished product on the record and especially in the slight variations evident in differing live performances. The music of Nirvana is built on a dynamic between the three instruments even if gutted and simple.

Old 05.02.2014, 01:09 AM   #84
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
Krist was always prefectly in sync with Kurt on the bass tip. its what made them so rad.

Nirvana were cool just as my 13 yr old mind thought then.

you can have yr Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Mudhoney, but leave me alone.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2014, 08:50 AM   #85
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Please don't lump in Mudhoney with Pearl Jam. It hurts my ass
Old 05.02.2014, 05:22 PM   #86
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
i don't really like Mudhoney that much. besides Touch Me and Into Yer Shtik. what a great song that is."fffffffuck you, you make me sick".
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2014, 06:45 PM   #87
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
2013 mix is good. radio friendly unit shifter is better. tourettes is even better than before too i always thought the vocals were too loud now theyre perfect. all apologies is way now more beautiful. drums arent as heavy tho on the whole mix so ...
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2014, 08:55 PM   #88
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
the LIVE & Loud DVD is one of the best filmed concerts. they did a great remaster job on that.

I watched my VHS of this so many times it got warped.. Agreed. Live and Loud is one of single greatest concerts ever, fuck everybody.

Quote:
not so keen on the remix version of In Utero.

Agreed, I love Steve, I loved the interviews around the time of issue of the remix talking about the making of that record, but I was also not a fan of the remix version, possibly because I spent 20 years getting so damned attached to the original which I never thought had a thing wrong with it.

Old 06.03.2014, 03:01 AM   #89
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
i always preferred live Nirvana pre 92. Seems like around 92 the shows got less intense. 89-91 they were soooo good live. I mean they were still good in the later years and they played the songs on point but they seemed less enthusiastic. Krist stopped jumping around and dAncing and kurt was less agressive with his guitar but dave always killed haha
Old 06.03.2014, 03:07 AM   #90
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

live and loud is good though. kurt seems to be in a good mood. I waited for years for paramount to be finally released; I always thought that one was great cause of the quality and performance. Theres a rome show from late 91 that needs to get released. Amsterdam 91 is also great.
Old 06.03.2014, 03:53 PM   #91
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

For the 1992 tour it was clear the band was fatigued from all the extensive touring from 89-91.. the break before the in utero tour clearly rejuvenated their enthusiasism

Old 06.03.2014, 03:54 PM   #92
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
plus all the heroin....
Old 06.03.2014, 04:07 PM   #93
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Whenever Kurt smiles in heaven, Courtney takes a sip from her sambuca. Picturesque and calming. A fantastic life after death.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth