Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best Noise Albums
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.08.2006, 12:05 PM   #61
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Otomo yoshihide-turntable solo(twisted live Noise!!!)
Or an unholy marriage of turntablism and noise if you like.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2006, 12:17 PM   #62
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
for those unsure of what noise is have a listen to these samples from a merzbow record, to get an idea of what we are and more importantly, are not talking about:

http://www.importantrecords.com/sounds/minazo1_2.mp3
http://www.importantrecords.com/sounds/minazo1_3.mp3

and by this i mean merzbow is noise.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2006, 12:20 PM   #63
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
VU & Nico. It sure gets noisy!
But CHRIST!no no no,that's like missing the whole point of the thread and honestly if you'd like to understand that specific album my dearest gmku,you should go back and do some research on mid to late sixties minimalism and avantgarde on the east coast.Christ!!!

Old 08.08.2006, 12:22 PM   #64
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Does anybody has the wire's top 10 noise albums of all times? That issue had Jeff tweedy on it's cover. I can only remember Borbetomagus being on that list, can't recall the others...
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2006, 12:22 PM   #65
porkmarras
invito al cielo

La Monte Young's theatre of eternal music will reveal more secrets on that particular album than damn fucking noise.

Old 08.08.2006, 12:22 PM   #66
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
Does anybody has the wire's top 10 noise albums of all times? That issue had Jeff tweedy on it's cover. I can only remember Borbetomagus being on that list, can't recall the others...
i have it at home.

Old 08.08.2006, 12:32 PM   #67
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
But CHRIST!no no no,that's like missing the whole point of the thread and honestly if you'd like to understand that specific album my dearest gmku,you should go back and do some research on mid to late sixties minimalism and avangarde on the east coast.Christ!!!

I tried to go back and do some research on mid-1960s to late 1960s minimalism and avantgarde east coast. But it was too hard.
Old 08.08.2006, 12:35 PM   #68
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Hang on i'll send you a good link for that

Old 08.08.2006, 12:35 PM   #69
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Not strictly noise but as whole it fits into the genre.

Old 08.08.2006, 12:38 PM   #70
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Theater of Eternal Music

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
For the 80s group, see Dream Syndicate.
The Theater of Eternal Music, also known as The Dream Syndicate, was a mid-sixties musical group focusing on experimental and drone music, featuring La Monte Young, John Cale, and Angus MacLise. In 1964 the ensemble contained Young and Marian Zazeela, voices; Tony Conrad and John Cale, strings; and sometimes Terry Riley, voice. Since 1966 Young has realized the "Dream Theater" despite interruptions due to a lack of funding for such an exceptional, extensive, and expensive project.
Most of these pieces have long titles, such as The Tortoise Recalling the Drone of the Holy Numbers as they were Revealed in the Dreams of the Whirlwind and the Obsidian Gong, Illuminated by the Sawmill, the Green Sawtooth Ocelot and the High-Tension Line Stepdown Transformer. Likewise, his works are often of extreme length, many pieces having no beginning and no end, existing before and after a particular performance. Young and Zazeela are also on an extended sleep schedule, their "days" being longer than twenty-four hours.
[edit]

External links

Old 08.08.2006, 12:38 PM   #71
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
So you get to say something fits into the genre but I don't?

Hmmpphh...
Old 08.08.2006, 12:39 PM   #72
porkmarras
invito al cielo

The Dream Syndicate
By: Callum Zeff
Email: callum@happydrifter.com</SPAN>

Artist: The Dream Syndicate
Album: Inside The Dream Syndicate Volume 1: Day Of Niagra (1965)

I have never understood how truly evil pop music is until now. How mind-numbing, how tedious, how utterly devoid of emotion it is. It even destroyed my sister: "I don’t understand how you can just sit there for hours and LISTEN to music!" She couldn’t understand what purpose music could serve other than a background noise to another activity. But I don’t feel angry. I don’t feel anything. Now I understand what Iggy Pop was going on about when he said that when he’s in the grips of punk-rock "I don’t feel pleasure and I don’t feel pain, and I don’t want to either."

Back in the 60s, The Dream Syndicate (featuring that John Cale of Velvet Underground fame) would start a long tradition, going to this day with groups like the Vibracathedral Orchestra, of instrumental, improvisational groups making drone music. Good drone is more powerful than any huge orchestra piece, more emotional than any ballad, and more f*cking terrifying than any gothic nonsense. It does something to you, affects you with pure, formless, emotion. No, not even emotion. More basic than emotion.

Drone music is about as far away from music as you can get before it stops being music (depending on your definition of music, obviously). Contrary to popular belief (or what would be popular belief if more of the population knew about it), it is not one note played continuously for two hours. The music shifts, bends, like a drop of ink in a pool of water, but without fading away. There are many, many sounds made by the violin and viola, but no sound ever becomes distinct enough to emerge from the bubbling pool. A vibrating, grainy violin tone appears without a whisper and disappears just as inconspicuously. A sound like bagpipes, or a fly, or a space ship passing over head, rears up from the murky depths.

The depths are murky. This music is primordial, infinitely deep and sludgy, but without the hugely low bass sounds that many modern bands resort to if they want to sound sludgy. Stoner-rock this ain’t. Rather, it’s something simpler even than the intestinal-disfunction inducing noises of, say, Sun 0))). It induces basic fear, the rush of adrenaline; The pleasure and terror in equal amounts.

In the beginning, there was the word, and the word was oooooommmmmmm. God was, apparently, a drone music pioneer, and there is something religious about this music... or rather, something spiritual. It has been made by beings from the other side, beautiful and haunting, but they hide behind it’s thick mass, revealing themselves neither as angels nor devils. They come bearing gifts, or maybe they’re weapons, and invite you in, or are they taking you prisoner? You’ll never know.

This isn’t to many people’s liking, more so than most of my music, and that’s saying something. Hell, my mum doesn’t even like it and she’s got bucketloads of experimental composer’s work: Charles Ives, a whole big mess of prepared piano pieces, and that crazy guy in Mexico who makes music so fast he had to get one of those pianos that plays itself in order to make it. She doesn’t like this. Not because the Syndicate’s half-hour drone is overly experimental. Far from it, I’d say it’s less so than a lot of the music she’s got tucked away in her vinyl box. But this scares people. It’s not thinker’s music. Think about this too much and you’ll end up thoroughly mystified and quite damaged. Somehow, this is rock music. I don’t know how, but it is. Maybe it’s John Cale’s influence, but whatever it is, I’m pretty sure fans of Godspeed You Black Emperor! or Hawkwind will enjoy this little record.
This is music to swallow you up. Step into the primordial pool, and be enveloped.

Old 08.08.2006, 12:39 PM   #73
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses

also not strictly noise. but it's close.
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2006, 12:40 PM   #74
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
So you get to say something fits into the genre but I don't?

Hmmpphh...
But it is noise and i've upped stuff by that guy on here before.

Old 08.08.2006, 12:40 PM   #75
gmku
invito al cielo

Wait a minute. The Dream Syndicate was from the 1980s.

I don't get it. See, I told you this is hard.
Old 08.08.2006, 12:41 PM   #76
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous

also not strictly noise. but it's close.
that's totally not noise

Old 08.08.2006, 12:42 PM   #77
gmku
invito al cielo

VU and Nico is not strictly noise. Far from it, in fact. Nevertheless...

Old 08.08.2006, 12:43 PM   #78
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Wait a minute. The Dream Syndicate was from the 1980s.

I don't get it. See, I told you this is hard.
The original Dream Syndicate were from the sixties in fact.

Old 08.08.2006, 12:43 PM   #79
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
that's totally not noise

It is very noisy.
Old 08.08.2006, 12:43 PM   #80
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
they only seem that way if you've only listened to one or two of their songs. The band uses this instrument called the echoplex that just creates pure white distortion. COF use the instrument alot in the music they even have sections of song where its just a distortion solo playing with the frequency of it. Check out "whiskey river" to see what i mean

The Echoplex is not an instrument that produces white noise. It is an ECHO UNIT that uses magnetic tape to make a delay loop of whatever sound is fed into it. CoF use this on the whole mix, and as such, being manipulated live by one of the band members, it is an instrument of sorts. The tape length can be varied at will to make shorter or longer delay loops, and it can be used as an instrument, but to be clear, it makes no sound on its own. It requires a sound source to be fed into it to work. It does not generate "pure white noise" at all.

And CoF are a rock band. A rock band that totally rules.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth