Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page My renewed appreciation of Kurt Cobain and Nirvana
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.09.2011, 02:37 PM   #81
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
No. Just no. [to Herr Rail]

not even ironically?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2011, 02:46 PM   #82
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
not even ironically?

No way no way, mna mna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2011, 05:14 PM   #83
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I don't understand what is wrong with being formulaic, that's the very reason some bands are great.

Because Nirvana were a lot more creative and interesting in many of their songs than something like the straightforward, predictable Nevermind (aside from a few moments). Again, it goes back to ... I found this band sorta boring, and then I heard stuff like the main riff from NEGATIVE CREEP, or I really listened closely to LITHIUM and was like "hm that's kind of a weird/ugly little guitar thing he's doing in the verses there". I guess I was more attracted to the "wrong" aspect of the band (the "Wrong" notes and all that), not so much the... UNPLUGGED IN NEW YORK side. But ultimately, I think that's what makes the band so compelling and important; they were a pop band, but they also had their noisiness, as well as moments when they just rocked, and so on. There were many shades to their sound -- I think if a person were to just focus on most of Nevermind, they wouldn't be able to see all that. But, eh, the fact that so many people from so many walks of life like different aspects of this band is what makes them so compelling, in the end.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2011, 06:10 AM   #84
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Because Nirvana were a lot more creative and interesting in many of their songs than something like the straightforward, predictable Nevermind (aside from a few moments). Again, it goes back to ... I found this band sorta boring, and then I heard stuff like the main riff from NEGATIVE CREEP, or I really listened closely to LITHIUM and was like "hm that's kind of a weird/ugly little guitar thing he's doing in the verses there". I guess I was more attracted to the "wrong" aspect of the band (the "Wrong" notes and all that), not so much the... UNPLUGGED IN NEW YORK side. But ultimately, I think that's what makes the band so compelling and important; they were a pop band, but they also had their noisiness, as well as moments when they just rocked, and so on. There were many shades to their sound -- I think if a person were to just focus on most of Nevermind, they wouldn't be able to see all that. But, eh, the fact that so many people from so many walks of life like different aspects of this band is what makes them so compelling, in the end.
I think also, the mostly music is much more interesting, if it is complicated. There are too many artist in world that make boring pop songs. But if you have ability to make interesting pop songs, it is true blessing! I think Cobain had it, Lennon-McCartney had it, Bowie had it, and Morrissey and Robert Smith still have it (any others not come into my mind at this moment)! And in Nirvana case I think they werenīt as good in their complicated songs as for example Sonic Youth.

On the other hand, there is also bands whose complexity seems to be the whole meaning of the band (for example Dream Theater). I donīt like the music thatīs meaning is show your skills.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2011, 06:49 AM   #85
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I have to add that of course it makes Nirvana much more interesting band that they made also other kind of stuff as pop songs.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2011, 07:21 AM   #86
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
How do you all feel about WITH THE LIGHTS OUT? I always see it at pawn shops for a few bucks. I am not really interested in the discs, since I have mp3's of their best rare/b-sides and stuff. I just want to know if the DVD is worth checking out.

the dvd is ok. actually.....I haven't watched it in about 5 years...lol...

all I remember is the lasty song which is a performance of Seasons in the SUn.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2011, 05:31 PM   #87
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
I disagree. That's Dave Grohl.

That is not fair for so many fucking reasons.. A) dave did all those vocal harmonies which were so subtle and yet are really a Nirvana staple, they represent a huge portion of tunes both live and recorded

b) if you listen to the Nirvana BEFORE Dave came when they went through any whorish drummer they could salvage and then listen to the music (even the same songs but live) AFTER dave, its fucking night and day. Dave brought a more pure punk/hardcore energy and dynamic to Nirvana in his driving, powerful, simple but effective drum work. I can recognize Dave's drumming on anything he works on, shit I had never heard anything at all about Them Crooked Vultures, and I by random coincidence hear a tune one day with my pops and say, "shit is that Dave Grohl on the drums?"

Dave's drum work is what made Nirvana, it shaped the music in its entirety, guitar work (especially as minimalist as Kurt's) is nothing without accompanying drum work. And these drums, especially live, bring out the best in the guitar player, its all fluid. Everything integrally works together, no matter how desperate Kurt was when he let Courtney convince him to change the original Nirvana layout and take 75% for really no reason at all..

Any musician here should be able to attest to the integral and fundamental importance of the fluidity and true collaboration between instrument players, its not like orchestral music where you just sit there are read the sheet.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2011, 06:15 PM   #88
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Any musician here should be able to attest to the integral and fundamental importance of the fluidity and true collaboration between instrument players, its not like orchestral music where you just sit there are read the sheet.

That's a bit of a misunderstanding of orchestral music there, methinks.

Plus, you seem to be working under the misapprehension that drummers are real musicians.

Mwa x

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 01.11.2011, 02:23 PM   #89
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
That is not fair for so many fucking reasons.. A) dave did all those vocal harmonies which were so subtle and yet are really a Nirvana staple, they represent a huge portion of tunes both live and recorded

b) if you listen to the Nirvana BEFORE Dave came when they went through any whorish drummer they could salvage and then listen to the music (even the same songs but live) AFTER dave, its fucking night and day. Dave brought a more pure punk/hardcore energy and dynamic to Nirvana in his driving, powerful, simple but effective drum work. I can recognize Dave's drumming on anything he works on, shit I had never heard anything at all about Them Crooked Vultures, and I by random coincidence hear a tune one day with my pops and say, "shit is that Dave Grohl on the drums?"

Dave's drum work is what made Nirvana, it shaped the music in its entirety, guitar work (especially as minimalist as Kurt's) is nothing without accompanying drum work. And these drums, especially live, bring out the best in the guitar player, its all fluid. Everything integrally works together, no matter how desperate Kurt was when he let Courtney convince him to change the original Nirvana layout and take 75% for really no reason at all..

regardless, he's a cunt.
many other drummers can drum without being cunts (so they say) and starting whiney shitty generic bands with stupid names writing mediocre to unbereable songs about how they miss someone they were never close to.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2011, 03:09 PM   #90
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
That's a bit of a misunderstanding of orchestral music there, methinks.

Mwa x

some will enter the military, some will learn short hand, and some will disappear in the middle of the night in a special train they're sending in.. its the only way really.. to bring about the Final Solution to the Orchestra question..

Old 01.11.2011, 03:44 PM   #91
Glice
invito al cielo

Link doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Seriously though, if you've ever seen a bad orchestra play, it's quite clear that there's a great deal more to playing orchestral music than just 'reading'. I think it's a rockist misunderstanding (that I also made prior to learning to read) to assume that the stave sets out a precise metrical relationship to a pulse. Part of the problem is that you rarely hear an orchestra make a wrong move on record (which they'll do in spades live) and the well-known orchestras are whipped something rotten.

Quote:
Old 01.11.2011, 03:53 PM   #92
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Link doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Seriously though, if you've ever seen a bad orchestra play, it's quite clear that there's a great deal more to playing orchestral music than just 'reading'. I think it's a rockist misunderstanding (that I also made prior to learning to read) to assume that the stave sets out a precise metrical relationship to a pulse. Part of the problem is that you rarely hear an orchestra make a wrong move on record (which they'll do in spades live) and the well-known orchestras are whipped something rotten.

the link should go to a wav file of Ringo Starr in Frank Zappa's 200 Motels, which if you haven't seen, you should and then the context will be self-evident

Old 01.11.2011, 04:32 PM   #93
Glice
invito al cielo

I watched 10 seconds of this. If you make me watch anything else involving Zappa you will be personally responsible for causing a genocide. I just want you to know that.

Quote:
Old 01.11.2011, 04:36 PM   #94
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I watched 10 seconds of this. If you make me watch anything else involving Zappa you will be personally responsible for causing a genocide. I just want you to know that.

200 motels is pure genius, trust me

Old 01.11.2011, 05:08 PM   #95
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not so sure about that. It gets really really old really really quickly. Parts of it are funny, and crazy, but honestly, the "making of" and the whole story behind the scenes is a lot more interesting than that mess of a film.

On the other hand, Zappa worked with Bruce Bickford many times -- he is a genius, probably the best claymationist of all time. Type his name into youtube and be blown away.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2011, 05:27 PM   #96
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Dave Grohl gets a lot of shit for no good reason. Dude's talented. His music is a bit straight forward, but it works for him. Fantastic. Also, he's got a fantastic sense of humor. Always a great thing.
Old 01.11.2011, 05:31 PM   #97
Glice
invito al cielo

I think you'll find, if you look to your little book of 'good reasons to give people shit', goatee features quite prominently. Think about it - when did people start disliking Grohl - when he was in Nirvana (no goatee)? NO! When he had a goatee? YES!

Quote:
Old 01.11.2011, 05:31 PM   #98
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
You know what the worst thing is that I find about the Foo Fighters? It's not the shitty, lazy songwriting, oh no. It's the vocals and how they're double-tracked in EVERY song. It sounds terrible and annoying.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2011, 05:32 PM   #99
Glice
invito al cielo

Of course, his facial hair pales into insignificance when it comes to the glassability of Zappa's facebortion.

Quote:
Old 01.11.2011, 05:34 PM   #100
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Here laddy - You know what the worst thing is that I find about the Foo Fighters? Och, it's that terrible goatee. Hoots, it's shit

Fixed (with regional accent added)

Quote:

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth