Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Beatles=most overrated band ever!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.28.2006, 10:47 AM   #81
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Those bands have all been insulted here in other pages plenty of times though.

On the bright side, punk rock lives.

On the not-so-bright side, an appreciation for fine arrangement, real songs, and actual music suffers.

Of course, The Beatles were fairly punk at times themselves. And even when their music didn't sound heavy, the lyrics or song conceptions are pretty darn punky. As anyone should know, some of their compositions are also very avant-garde.
As an important note, it certainly wasn't safe for The Beatles to be so foward-thinking, but thanks to their efforts, it was a lot safer for other future artists to truly follow their muse if the effort bended, blended or even destroyed genres and created new ones.

Look up the wiki listing for Rubber Soul which CHOUT espoused as his favorite.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_Soul
This is The Beatles album where Dylan's influence is beginning to be really felt strongly.
George Martin's production for Rubber Soul provided the first of many blueprints to come for the "psychedelic" music of the sixties.
'Norwegian Wood' first used the sitar and provided the germ for world music. (The Kinks helped there too, truth be told). 'Michelle' is gorgeous postmodern ditty. 'In My Life'...genius lyrics, glorious vocal...R&B meets baroque. 'Drive My Car' is a women's rights anthem. The corollary is 'Run for Your Life' which is the most devil-may-care genuinely violent jealous lover's ode this side of Robert Johnson. Alas, for love and suffering are, in many cases, bound together. The record explores the majesty of love in the philosophical sense with 'The Word,' but many other songs explore the many facets and nuances of human relationships.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2006, 10:56 AM   #82
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
peope are INFLUENCED by bands' MUSIC

the Beatles are the single most covered band in the world. their songs have been covered countless times by artists ranging the ful spectrum of rock, blues, jazz, opera, country, R&B, folk, bluegrass, metal, etc etc.

there is noone else to compare.

they are arguably the greatest songwriters in rock history.

Impossible to overrate.
Not impossible to dislike, but impossible to dismiss.

The beatles saved my life at 12, and sonic youth saved my life at 16.
Old 12.28.2006, 11:26 AM   #83
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Always looking to mirror the culture and, in turn, to also contribute to it with their art, The Beatles are quite formidable magicians as well as being exceptionally fine musicians and songwriters.
Old 12.28.2006, 11:28 AM   #84
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
"Not impossible to dislike, but impossible to dismiss."

I guess this is OK for someone to say if he or she is a fan, then?
That's all I was attempting to say as well. I just didn't say it with an air of Supreme Reverence.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2006, 11:30 AM   #85
atari 2600
invito al cielo

ANY meaningful way

haha
Old 12.28.2006, 11:33 AM   #86
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Well, thanks to your edit, I now look like I was being jerky to Rob.

I will give you credit for mocking me with my own words though. Shows you are a thorough reader as well as a compulsive self-editor.
Old 12.28.2006, 11:37 AM   #87
atari 2600
invito al cielo

You've been disrespectful to Rob the whole time. Look dude, go back and read Rob's posts, especially the one before you wrote your first long one.
The truth is undeniable.
What is also undeniable is that you have your head way up your fucking ass and that you give his arguments no weight at all.
Old 12.28.2006, 11:40 AM   #88
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Rob and I disagree all the time and we still get along great. He's good at not taking it personally when people don't always dig the same sounds as he does. I have no problem with him and was never intentionally disrespecting him in any way.

You, on the other hand, are pathetically easy to bait.
Old 12.28.2006, 11:41 AM   #89
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

More edits too, I see.
Old 12.28.2006, 11:46 AM   #90
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
BUT WE ALL LOVE SONIC YOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and what about drive like jehu? they rock!

Old 12.28.2006, 11:51 AM   #91
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I knew someone would say 'Sonic Life!',at one point.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2006, 11:55 AM   #92
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm pleased to see that the empirical fact of the Beatles' utter superiority over everything ever has been proven, once again. Thanks, Sonic Youth diaspora!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2006, 12:13 PM   #93
compulsive diarrhea, jico
100%

compulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's asses
this forum is a screaming field of sonic love
compulsive diarrhea, jico is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2006, 03:11 PM   #94
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
BUT WE ALL LOVE SONIC YOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate that godawful band.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2006, 03:12 PM   #95
Anti
empty page

Anti has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
why call a band that contributed that much to the history of music overrated?

Anti is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2006, 04:21 PM   #96
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
WOW - The Instigator who has done a wonderful job on other threads of explaining how / why there is no God or Higher Power does an superb job on explaining why he feels the Beatles are the God / Higher Power of the music world.

When you consider it was the Beatles who said, "We're more popular than Jesus" (acknowledging there is a Jesus / Higher Power) and a large part of their music was directly influenced by their search for a Higher Power......and it was this music that saved Rob's life at age 12......where did the circle become unbroken / what did thier music save your life from?

When lennon said the "Beatles are bigger than Jesus" he meant that the kids loved them and found more meaning with the Beatles (at the time of his statement) than with Jesus or the church's teachings. With that taken into account the statement is in no way an acknowledgement that jesus is the divine incarnation of the one true god.

the beatles saved me from a life of tedium and despair. Around age 12 I really began to cement my general ideas about the universe and about the whole of sprituality and religion and the ideas of humanity's worship of "supernatural" beings throughout our teeny tiny brief existance on the planet earth (around one million years as oppossed to the 5-6 BILLION year age of the Earth) I found more, as lennon said, in music and art, and in the beatles music in particular, when I was 12 than in anything the religions had to offer. They brought me comfort, for the realization that there is no god/gods and that we are truly but one tiny aspect of an inconceivably stupendously large universe is a fucking scary, humbling, and chilling one. they gave me hope that despite the absence of any higher being/creator/gods/soul/etc. there was something sublime in the world, something that could bring about trhe feelings of ecstasy and epiphany that many associate with religious occasions. Sonic Youth did that for me as well at age 16 or so. They both opened up a new world for me, a world that to me was life-affirming and joy-providing.

and to think it was just four dudes from a crumbling wharf town who loved little richard and elvis and chuck berry.

SONIC LIFE!
Old 12.28.2006, 05:02 PM   #97
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti
why call a band that contributed that much to the history of music overrated?
The world of intelligence in music hasn't stopped since and before The Beatles.Wether someone agrees with it or not is totally and insignificantly irrelevant to what's been going on and will go on.The Beatles were certainly important to what happened on the surface,in the sixties.By no means they are an indication of 'everything' that happened,though.If you are too narrow minded and plain ignorant to understand that,live in that sort of phantom reality and accept the fact that there are a number of people who moved on since your very own exsistence.

Old 12.28.2006, 05:12 PM   #98
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

sonic life!
Old 12.28.2006, 05:13 PM   #99
porkmarras
invito al cielo

You should get one.

Old 12.28.2006, 05:17 PM   #100
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
The Pot Calling The Kettle Black

SONIC TOOTH
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth