Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Paul Banks is full of shit
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.22.2018, 07:59 PM   #1
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Paul Banks, from Interpol (or, that one band that felt like it might be something around the time Trail of Dead felt like they might be something but ultimately became nothing other than makers of a single college soundtrack album that isn’t actually hat good) was recently interviewed for Pitchfork’s 5-10-15-20.

He said that when he was a junior in high school, he was introduced to a band — Nirvana — “in a New Jersey subdivision” before becoming obsessed with them.

Thing is, Banks was born in 1978. He couldn’t have been a junior in high school until 1994.

He saw what was then the biggest and most talked about band in the world in a subdivision in the last year of that band’s existence?

I call bullshit, but if someone remembers their Nirvana dates and trivia better than I do, please feel free to correct me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Paul Banks
We moved back to New Jersey for my junior year of high school. I was coming off my sophomore year in Spain—drinking in bars, smokin’ doobs, hanging out in a major European city, and living a pretty dope fuckin’ life. So moving back to the same school district where I’d been bullied after all of that, I was like [puts up two middle fingers], “This is for all of y’all. Suck my balls.”
Lunch was a defining time in high school. Sometimes I’d eat with a jock who was a cool bro. Sometimes I’d eat with the Asian raver girls. Sometimes I’d eat alone. I was an outcast, but not quite. There was this girl I met who was on some shit—she had her own zine and introduced me to some really cool shit. She took me to see a band play in a garage in a New Jersey subdivision, and I was like, “This is cool.”
I discovered and became obsessed with them. I remember listening to Nevermind
with my brother and my mom, and she was as into it as we were. Nirvana helped me understand that music was what I wanted to do with my life. When guidance counselors called me in and asked what my plans were, I’d say, “I want to be a rock star.”

Granted, he doesn’t explicitly say, “I saw Nirvana at a Jersey house party,” but that’s the implication. And in 1994? Fuck that shit.

Fuck.
That.
Shit.

Nirvana historians, help me out. Prove me wrong so I don’t have to throw out my “Turn on the Bright Lights.” (Every five years or so I get nostalgic for “PDA.” Sue me.)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2018, 09:54 PM   #2
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
If it was 94 for sure they were playing stadiums. I can't see the math making sense.
Old 08.23.2018, 02:21 AM   #3
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
If he was like me with a very sheltered upbringing and controlling parents, I didn't hear cool music until high school. Just didn't know it was happening
Kuhb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2018, 08:13 AM   #4
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
If he was like me with a very sheltered upbringing and controlling parents, I didn't hear cool music until high school. Just didn't know it was happening

Yeah, but my dog my dog — read the quote. He’s saying he saw Nirvana and became obsessed with them when he was a junior in high school. He’s only a few years older than I am — a junior in ‘94 at the *earliest.* Was Nirvana playing fucking house parties in 1994, after dropping Bleach, Nevermind, Incesticide and In Utero? The same year they dropped Unplugged In New York?! The same year Kurt died?!!?

For fuck’s sake, Kurt only lived through the first quarter of 1994. He was in and out of rehab and on tour in fucking ITALY and FRANCE and elsewhere for be brunt of those months.

By this time, Nirvana may have been behind Pearl Jam in record sales, but in terms of the cultural discussion, they were the fucking Beatles by a year *before* when Banks said (or, rather, heavily implied) that he saw them.
It’s not about whether he was sheltered or not... he’s saying this happened, and it sounds like he’s telling someone else’s story and getting the details wrong.

Man, no way. No fucking way. That’s the same year I saw Nirvana — something I honesty don’t remember well enough to count among my concert conquests (shit) — and they were only in the states for a minute in 1994. They certainly weren’t playing any goddamn Jersey subdivisions.

I call bullshit on this fucker. Bull fucking shit.
Old 08.23.2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Severian
invito al cielo

Unless I am reading it wrong. Unless it’s super obvious to everyone but me that he is talking about some other band he doesn’t name, and said he became obsessed with just before mentioning Nevermind, under the section of the article devoted to what he was listening to when he was 15 (Young for a junior), with “Nirvana - ‘Nevermind’” as the heading.

Maybe I’m just reading it sideways and upside down, but damn well sounds like he’s saying he saw the biggest band in the world at a house party when he was a junior in high school (which he really should have been in 1995-96 when he was 16-17 years old).

But yeah. I could just be being a total dockhole.
Old 08.23.2018, 08:22 AM   #6
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
If it was 94 for sure they were playing stadiums. I can't see the math making sense.

Stadiums... *arenas.* Yes.

Hey, did you even clear your goddamn PMs? I have wanted to chat with you for a spell.
Old 08.26.2018, 04:13 AM   #7
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
He doesn't say tbe band he saw was Nirvana
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2018, 09:30 AM   #8
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
Just read the quote properly. I don't think he's implying the cool band he saw was Nirvana.
Old 08.26.2018, 09:32 AM   #9
Kuhb
children of satan

Side note... Heinrich Maneuver is a greeeeat song. I'd love to have written it
Old 08.26.2018, 10:59 AM   #10
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
He doesn't say tbe band he saw was Nirvana

... he definitely doesn’t make it clear that it’s not.

Maybe it’s just sloppy editing or dumb phrasing , but under the Nirvana heading, he says, when I was a junior I met this cool girl? She took me to see a band at a subdivision. I became obsessed. I found “Nevermind” and fell in love with it.

Shit I dunno.
Old 08.26.2018, 11:02 AM   #11
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Side note... Heinrich Maneuver is a greeeeat song. I'd love to have written it

Eh. Their good songs were done by ‘04. I don’t even remember that one. Is that from Our Love to Admire? Jesus.
Old 08.26.2018, 11:05 AM   #12
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Just read the quote properly. I don't think he's implying the cool band he saw was Nirvana.

Same paragraph, next sentence, after saying how he became obsessed with the band, he’s talking about Nevermind. Doesn’t name the “them,” so it really feels like he’s talking about Nirvana.

But yeah whatever I dunno. Probably still full of shit
Old 08.26.2018, 11:31 AM   #13
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
As far as I can tell, this thread is about nothing.
Carry on.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2018, 06:25 PM   #14
Kuhb
children of satan

This whole thread feels like a manic episode. Take care everyone
Old 08.26.2018, 08:01 PM   #15
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
As far as I can tell, this thread is about nothing.
Carry on.

Nah, it’s about Paul Banks being full of shit, or at the very least unnecessarily unclear
Old 08.26.2018, 08:02 PM   #16
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
This whole thread feels like a manic episode. Take care everyone

That’s totally possible.
Old 08.26.2018, 08:04 PM   #17
Severian
invito al cielo

You guys are dicks. Didn’t realize you all loved Paul Banks so much, rushing to his defense like a buncha cowboys. Jeeeeeezus.

That album he did wrk RZA is what you deserve for being such dicks.

This could have been fun
Old 08.26.2018, 08:58 PM   #18
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I mostly just think you misread an article that included an awkwardly worded quote, but that's me. I've done the same.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2018, 12:19 AM   #19
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
so how is the new album? do not bothered to give it a try. first album rules though.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2018, 06:34 AM   #20
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
He saw some crappy high school band doing Nirvana covers and got hooked on Nevermind, ya twits!
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth