Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Weezer offered $10million to split
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.09.2010, 01:02 AM   #61
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
"Melodic intricate guitar work"? Not sure what song you're describing, as the whole album is just power chords, except for a couple arpeggios. "Tired of Sex" has a pretty neat, mean riff... "The Good Life" sounds like that Everlcear song "Santa Monica" haha.. "El Scorcho" is neat, though, I like that sleazy little riff, and when it gets all punk and fast. I don't think the guitar work is intricate at all, but the songwriting was definitely more interesting than verse, chorus, verse like 99% of their output. I think the only really AMAZING song on the album is "Across the Sea". All in all, it's a decent 30 minute album with tons of filler. It's one of those albums you can put on with your girlfriend and sing together, and whee. Everyone's happy. It serves its purpose.

"WHY THE FUCK ARE WE TALKING ABOUT WEEZER haha? for real"

Because when people make threads about new bands, no one responds.

I also agree that Ozma were good, they sound more like Weezer than Weezer. I always thought Weezer were kinda trying to be the Cars but with this ironic lazy Pavement vibe at times (Pavement even namedrop Weezer in the Slanted and Enchanted deluxe album...).

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2010, 02:37 AM   #62
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
I've often thought of Weezer as a watered down Pavement in many ways, and others have agreed with me.
Old 10.09.2010, 03:06 AM   #63
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
In the sunset of dissolution, everything is illuminated by the aura of nostalgia, even the guillotine.

Old 10.09.2010, 04:13 AM   #64
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

...prog?... hm.

Doesn't Beverly Hills sound EXACTLY LIKE "I Love Rock N Roll"?

Old 10.09.2010, 04:51 AM   #65
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I said that

And yeah I knew what you meant, they kindas branched out which was interesting, but I don't think they're very good at it.

I can't believe people are sending death threats to this guy. That really makes Weezer fans seem really retarded -- even moreso than they already did, by worshipping someone named "rivers".

By the way, I once dated a girl who once told me that before she messed around with dudes, she liked to look at rivers to get her "pussy wet". None of that shit ever happened with me, but she told me later that she went to a Weezer concert and had an orgasm while watching Rivers play guitar, without even touching herself. Weird chick.

Old 10.09.2010, 01:35 PM   #66
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Im talking about the guitar solos on pinkerton.

They were very melodic and intricate in the context of pop rock. Moreso than the blue album.

pink triangle, no other one, tired of sex, good life (slide solo), all had great melodic solos and they would trade off back and forth...also the moog on that record.

Especially the b-sides. Nice chord changes too.

Once again this is all in the context of weezer.

Ozma schooled them musically for sure though. They picked up on the direction of pinkerton and took it to the moon, doubble donkey disc is amazing nerd rock opera. and even some songs on rock n roll part 3 or whatever its called, like the intro to battlescars...sounds like the shins 3rd record b4 the shins even had their first record.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2010, 01:38 PM   #67
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
also, the lyrics are pinkerton are less trite and more honest. He wasnt trying to write hits. Though, tehy are still college freshmen type of depth, rather than blue albums highschool sophomore kind of depth.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2010, 01:44 PM   #68
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
The stakes are raised underneath my apathy.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2010, 01:49 PM   #69
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
I really enjoyed Weezer as a kid. Can't say I've listened to 'em much (quite honestly...) since around the time the blue album was still a relatively new release. Good straight ahead garage rock. Less than thought provoking lyrics (lyrics are something I tend to not care much about, either) but still sometimes funny/entertaining.

Kinda like the Pixies or REM or Pavement...shit just gets old after a while even if there may be songs I can still appreciate. As far as "rock" is concerned, it's just not dirty/raw enough for me. Lacks the sex and raw aggressiveness I tend to need whenever listening to rock music.

But still, not "bad" stuff by any means.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth