Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Ludwig Wittgenstein
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.29.2010, 02:17 PM   #1
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
Has anyone read him?

I've read the Tractatus and now The Blue Book. I'm enjoying them so far, but I'm having a hard time parsing out what he's up to. Seems to have a shit-ton in common with the Structuralist/Poststructuralist/Deconstruction schools.

How is he different?
How did he change the way you see things?
Is this topic boring and destined to sink fast?
Thoughts?
Old 10.29.2010, 03:18 PM   #2
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I have.

Slab!
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2010, 03:22 PM   #3
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
Seems to have a shit-ton in common with the Structuralist/Poststructuralist/Deconstruction schools.
Yes and no. As to why, you not only need a very fine distinction of early and latter Wittgenstein, which are worlds apart, but also a fine investigation of either periods. For the most part, though, early Wittgenstein's "picture" theory was adopted by analytic philosophers (like the logical positivists) and latter Wittgenstein's "family resemblance" theory appealed more to continental philosophers (such as Lyotard and others). Really, though, Witty's influence is subtle yet pervasive. Expect him anything the limits of language is considered. Any time a philosophy twat tells you what you can or cannot say, there haunts Ludwig.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Tractatus I only know well enough to say that it's not as dissimilar to his Philosophical Investigations as is often held. I used to think it was the last of the great absurd systems; now I'm not sure if the ludic thing wasn't there already.

Philosophical Investigations is one of those books that changed a lot of the way people think. Though it's important to remember that de Saussure, Freud, Nietzsche [etc] all played a huge part in the 'linguistic turn', as it were, and there are other people who sandwich between Wittgensteinian thought and postmodern/ post-structuralist thought - your Lacans and so on, but (for me) someone like Feyerabend is pretty important as well (if only for re-integrating ludic processes into a more 'properly' analytical-scientific schema).

Yeah. He's great, bless him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Yes and no. As to why, you not only need a very fine distinction of early and latter Wittgenstein, which are worlds apart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Tractatus I only know well enough to say that it's not as dissimilar to his Philosophical Investigations as is often held

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth