Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth in Upcoming Movie
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.07.2006, 04:45 PM   #1
girlsrockmovie
empty page

girlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to behold
Hey folks, thought you all might be interested in checking out this documentary we're making on the Rock 'n' Roll Camp for Girls. "Kool Thing" is featured in the movie, and there's a history of women rockers in the '90s sequence that features a funny animation of Kim Gordon. You can see a trailer and join the community at http://www.girlsrockmovie.com . We're aiming for a release in 2007.

Funny side story, when we were trying to get the rights to a Sonic Youth song, one of the publishing companies sent us a phone number to call to check on the rights. We called and left a message on a strange answering machine, and later that day we got a call from a woman who sounded like she was doing dishes in the background.

"Hello? I heard you were interested in licensing one of our songs?" It was freaking Kim Gordon! Someone I guess had accidentally given us her home phone number. She was really nice and asked us a bunch about the movie. At the time, we were asking for the rights to Sugarcane, and she pointed out the irony that we were picking a song she didn't sing on when the movie was about women rockers. D'oh! We hadn't been using the vocal part, so hadn't thought of that. Subsequently, we switched to Kool Thing and it's perfect!
girlsrockmovie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2006, 04:52 PM   #2
Jef Mertens
100%

Jef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's asses
Checked the trailer! Looks interesting.

Jef Mertens is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2006, 05:58 PM   #3
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
first i though this topic is about sonic youth scene in some movie....like a movie not a documentary, but anyway sounds interesting. going to check the trailor.

nice side story there.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2006, 06:50 PM   #4
Parker
empty page

Parker has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
VISIT my fotolog: www.fotolog.com/_streets_

BYE MOTHER FUCKERS

I LOVE SONIC YOUTH!!!!
Parker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2006, 06:55 PM   #5
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
You sound like you don't know a thing about this music.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 02:47 PM   #6
girlsrockmovie
empty page

girlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to behold
Why would you say we know nothing about the music? So you're mad at us in this forum because we didn't choose based on thinking about whether a woman was singing or not, and in the other forum for focusing too much on supporting women. Yikes.
Old 12.08.2006, 03:05 PM   #7
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
where can i get the trailer?
edit nevermind.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2006, 03:09 PM   #8
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Will check it out.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2006, 02:44 PM   #9
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
kim should be a guest lecturer/camp councelor/tough principal/school nurse at that place!
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2006, 04:53 PM   #10
uckfay
empty page

uckfay has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
This made me angry enough to create an account and post here. Please go to the girl's rock movie website (www.girlsrockmovie.com) and read the news post on the main page from December 8th titled "Disturbing and then Inspiring" . It is awful how quick people turn to lying just to support their own cause/create a good story. Somehow I no longer find much validity in the poster's original story of having a phone conversation with Kim Gordon.
uckfay is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 05:49 AM   #11
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by That website
Ok, I had a rather ugly experience this morning having to do with our movie. Yesterday, since Sonic Youth has a song on our soundtrack, and the band is listed as a supporter of Rock Camp, I posted a message on their message boards about the movie. The bile and hostility that poured out in response to my simple "Hey check out the movie" post was rather shocking. Here's a sampling of the quotes: "enpowering journey. wow, that really something. cause ya know, girls are so held back in the music industry...bullshit."
"Do you not think it is actually less empowering by shoving it in peoples faces? Nobody cares that yr a woman in music anymore, they just wanna see/hear you rockin' it."
And those are actually the only quotes I felt comfortable reproducing here because alot of the language was pretty offensive, nor am I particularly inclined to put the link to the discussion here. Though I know I should be hardened by now to the kind of stupid flaming that fills the internet, I was still amazed that fans of a band like Sonic Youth would be so ignorant and hateful. I was beginning to feel really depressed, there was even a girl who felt the need to assert that feminism was "crap". Then, suddenly, out of all the muck, arose a woman who jumped into the whole crowd of adolescent-boy-philosophy and talked about how great the camp was, and pounded them for their negativity...and guess what? She was a graduate of Ladies Rock Camp! Damn, it felt good to see her stand alone against all that negativity and tell her truth--how Ladies Rock Camp had empowered her and now she was in a band and yeah! Anyway, in "There's more" I've included the entirety of her post, cause it's way cool.

For those who can't be bothered to click the link.
Old 12.11.2006, 11:00 PM   #12
Andrés
children of satan

Andrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by That website

Ok, I had a rather ugly experience this morning having to do with our movie. Yesterday, since Sonic Youth has a song on our soundtrack, and the band is listed as a supporter of Rock Camp, I posted a message on their message boards about the movie. The bile and hostility that poured out in response to my simple "Hey check out the movie" post was rather shocking. Here's a sampling of the quotes: "enpowering journey. wow, that really something. cause ya know, girls are so held back in the music industry...bullshit."
"Do you not think it is actually less empowering by shoving it in peoples faces? Nobody cares that yr a woman in music anymore, they just wanna see/hear you rockin' it."
And those are actually the only quotes I felt comfortable reproducing here because alot of the language was pretty offensive, nor am I particularly inclined to put the link to the discussion here. Though I know I should be hardened by now to the kind of stupid flaming that fills the internet, I was still amazed that fans of a band like Sonic Youth would be so ignorant and hateful. I was beginning to feel really depressed, there was even a girl who felt the need to assert that feminism was "crap". Then, suddenly, out of all the muck, arose a woman who jumped into the whole crowd of adolescent-boy-philosophy and talked about how great the camp was, and pounded them for their negativity...and guess what? She was a graduate of Ladies Rock Camp! Damn, it felt good to see her stand alone against all that negativity and tell her truth--how Ladies Rock Camp had empowered her and now she was in a band and yeah! Anyway, in "There's more" I've included the entirety of her post, cause it's way cool.

Well done

Andrés is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2006, 12:03 AM   #13
blastscenealibi
bad moon rising

blastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's asses
Instead of a documentary why don't you make it into a movie. A retro 80s camp movie. Rock N' Roll Camp For Girls. Have the camp divided into 2 sections that compete each year for the Battle of The Bands. One group is the outcast punk rock girls and the other is the bimbo Top 40 pop girls. And then across the lake you got a camp for boys who like paddle the lake at midnight to do panty raids and stuff. And of course you got the guy who's the boyfriend of one of the bimbos but he falls for the punk girl and etc etc etc Now I would watch that.
blastscenealibi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2006, 12:06 AM   #14
girlsrockmovie
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by uckfay
This made me angry enough to create an account and post here. Please go to the girl's rock movie website (www.girlsrockmovie.com) and read the news post on the main page from December 8th titled "Disturbing and then Inspiring" . It is awful how quick people turn to lying just to support their own cause/create a good story. Somehow I no longer find much validity in the poster's original story of having a phone conversation with Kim Gordon.

Hey Uckfay, don't know if you saw my post in the "Non-Sonics" section, but that's where all the negative stuff came out. This Sonic Youth section post has been mostly civil, if you thought I was making up a conflict. I guess you could say I was "lying" by saying that someone saying "feminsm sucks my big fat cock" used offensive language, but mostly I don't think I made anything up...It's weird, I'm just this underground filmmaker guy and thought Sonic Youth fans would be interested in knowing there's a film coming out that they had something to do with. It's just me and a few other folks who made it... I guess I was wrong to bother.
Old 12.12.2006, 12:08 AM   #15
blastscenealibi
bad moon rising

blastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker
VISIT my fotolog: www.fotolog.com/_streets_

BYE MOTHER FUCKERS

I LOVE SONIC YOUTH!!!!

It's Alan Parker everybody!!
blastscenealibi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2006, 01:54 AM   #16
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I just re-read the non-sonics version of this thread. So just because one person claimed that she graduated from a girls-rock camp changes the validity on whether it's right or wrong? It's been said and I'll say it again, people don't need to learn how to rock. They should develop their own talents and not have people teach them how to formulate their songs.

And at one point in that thread you mentioned that girls in rock should be recognized as girls first, and then rockstars. I disagree with this because whether you're a woman or a man, you would still share the same attribute that you're a rockstar. It would be better to live in a society with equality between women and men, and not having some people being sexist, and having others supporting one gender more than another. To build upon this, if you have equality in each gender, you probably wouldn't look at a female rockstar and think to yourself "Oh! A woman in rock!". It doesn't come as a surprise to me and to many. It should be at equal level as seeing just a man in rock. You shouldn't need to recognize a woman in rock because she is a woman, you should do this just as much as you recognize a man in rock (in other words, not at all). Society doesn't need more activism promoting feminist ideas anymore. In most civilized cultures women given just as many rights as men. If this was 40 years ago, I could somewhat understand the need to promote feminism, although it has been noticably nearing an equilibrum between both genders and it wasn't rock camps that influenced this progress. With the rock camp idea aside, I reccomend you focus on a specific culture to promote feminism, one where there is less of a balance such as Lebanon.

To summarize this:
1. People should develop their own forms of art to create their own sound, instead of reinacting anothers
2. Preference in gender is already reaching an equality whether there's a girls rock band camp or not
Old 12.12.2006, 02:28 AM   #17
uckfay
empty page

uckfay has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I didn't catch your post in the "Non-Sonics" Section. I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsrockmovie
Hey Uckfay, don't know if you saw my post in the "Non-Sonics" section, but that's where all the negative stuff came out. This Sonic Youth section post has been mostly civil, if you thought I was making up a conflict. I guess you could say I was "lying" by saying that someone saying "feminsm sucks my big fat cock" used offensive language, but mostly I don't think I made anything up...It's weird, I'm just this underground filmmaker guy and thought Sonic Youth fans would be interested in knowing there's a film coming out that they had something to do with. It's just me and a few other folks who made it... I guess I was wrong to bother.
uckfay is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2006, 04:03 AM   #18
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
There doesn't really need to be two threads about this movie.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2006, 04:41 AM   #19
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
sonic youth in movie?

ha
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2006, 05:29 PM   #20
girlsrockmovie
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
this is bullshit man....sonic youth arent "in the movie", theyve got a song in it. maybe thres a small featurette or some shit...

either way...this was mentioned in hopes of us buying this garbage.

Aw swa(y), why you gotta come and hate in this forum too? Things were going so nicely here...can you point out specifically where I asked anyone to buy anything? It's funny, cause we don't even have a finished movie yet, not sure what y'all would buy, but yer welcome to try.

There's a Sonic Youth Song that's featured in the movie, and Kim Gordon is featured in an animation about women in rock in the '90s. I was actually on the site to look for tour information and saw these message boards and thought I'd just drop off a note while I was here.

But stay angry, my friend, it seems to suit you.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth