Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.27.2017, 12:25 PM   #21521
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I liked the concept but if I have one criticism, it's that I felt Jeremy Renner and Forrest Whitaker (I'm a big fan of both) were wasted slightly in roles that could've been played by pretty much anyone.

As for not being blown away, I liked it but I thought Interstellar (while different in many ways) was a better film, certainly in terms of its emotional weight.

Nah. I thought the message for Interstellar was just too heavy handed and therefore cheesy because of it.

Saw this last night and you know what? I actually thought it was pretty decent. I've red reviews saying it's the "worst film of all time" which is mental. Fact is, even if you didn't like it's message or what it was doing all the actors were first rate, especially the females. Jennifer Lawrence is one of those I don't want to like but she was brilliant in this.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2017, 12:29 PM   #21522
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i need to catch up with the moobys. been too long trapped in a TV prison, due to heavy workload (45 min shows are easy to schedule in a cramped day/ between chores)

since winter is coming and things got COLD here i'm switching to tragedies and horror.

any recommendations for the season? i'll be looking and the halloween/horror things suggested last year that i missed (like-- necrophiliac, or something-- ha ha ha ha-- dead german dicks).

but serious tragedies also welcome, eh. not just b movies or classic horror.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2017, 01:14 PM   #21523
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i need to catch up with the moobys. been too long trapped in a TV prison, due to heavy workload (45 min shows are easy to schedule in a cramped day/ between chores)

since winter is coming and things got COLD here i'm switching to tragedies and horror.

any recommendations for the season? i'll be looking and the halloween/horror things suggested last year that i missed (like-- necrophiliac, or something-- ha ha ha ha-- dead german dicks).

but serious tragedies also welcome, eh. not just b movies or classic horror.

I've been the same. Too much work, climbing and football has meant I've been totally out the loop with films. So yeah, can't give you any recent recommendations sorry.

Old 09.27.2017, 01:38 PM   #21524
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
serious tragedies

Give an example of the kind of thing you're thinking of.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2017, 02:07 PM   #21525
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Give an example of the kind of thing you're thinking of.

e.g. macbeth! (the musical, lol) --- or any modern versions thereof
(i'm about to restart house of cards which is ... richard the 3rd? or something) (it's not really a musical, it's just a word joke)

but anything with an unhappy ending, really. romances gone to hell like betty blue or bad timing or those anti-sex tales of eroticism gone awry. things that end in death/loss/defeat. in northrop fry's words, "the death of the hero."

the exception to "tragedy" being proper horror movies where the gore and disaster overwhelm any "heroism" by the survivors.

thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I've been the same. Too much work, climbing and football has meant I've been totally out the loop with films. So yeah, can't give you any recent recommendations sorry.

not necessarily recent. old works too-- better even cuz i can rent a disk or stream instead of buying a 2 movie tickets plus plus plus.
Old 09.27.2017, 02:45 PM   #21526
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ps- was reviewing my list and will be bumping up "the witch" and "the love witch" (so many!)
Old 09.27.2017, 03:46 PM   #21527
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
things that end in death/loss/defeat.

I'll keep it to the horror stuff, just to keep it tied in with the halloween thing, and stick to more recent ones. The film I mentioned in the last page, The Forest, might fit the bill. Top of the list for downer-horror though has to be The Mist, Eden Lake and Martyrs. Also The Descent (but make sure it has the British, not US ending). Perfect for any feel-bad Halloween night.

For earlier stuff. Tonnes of American horror from the 70s, especially Romero and Cronenberg. And Carpenter's The Thing, of course.
Old 09.27.2017, 04:15 PM   #21528
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh hell yeah, thanks. romero deserves a special mini-festival this year.

cronenberg requires no recommendation with me, but good reminder, i actually moved CRASH up in my list earlier today (have seen it but worth a rewatch with that whole sex/death thing that must follow the summer "romance" genre).

carpenter i need to see more. will look after THE THING!

also, the ones in your previous paragraph. and yeah, US endings generally suck terribly.

(for miserable endings, the french are experts, ha ha ha)
Old 09.27.2017, 04:28 PM   #21529
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Les Enfants du Paradis, my fave French film, has a heavy downer ending... great movie though. Love the "anarchist"
Old 09.27.2017, 04:32 PM   #21530
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Go on a Harry Dean Stanton binge.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2017, 04:34 PM   #21531
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh hell yeah, garance! that movie was a fucked up story. great story tho. and yeah french ending lol
Old 09.27.2017, 04:41 PM   #21532
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Go on a Harry Dean Stanton binge.
hm....

not all are tragedies though

in paris texas he becomes hero-- just for one day

in wild at heart the hyenas eat him but the movie itself is a "romance" probably. in pretty in pink he's a loser but same thing.

etc.

so many movies though!

genre. northrop. myths and shit.
Old 09.27.2017, 05:02 PM   #21533
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'll keep it to the horror stuff, just to keep it tied in with the halloween thing, and stick to more recent ones. The film I mentioned in the last page, The Forest, might fit the bill. Top of the list for downer-horror though has to be The Mist, Eden Lake and Martyrs. Also The Descent (but make sure it has the British, not US ending). Perfect for any feel-bad Halloween night.

For earlier stuff. Tonnes of American horror from the 70s, especially Romero and Cronenberg. And Carpenter's The Thing, of course.

*Shudder* fuck that film. Fucked me up for days that did. I can be pretty out there in my taste, but man, that was out there

Old 09.27.2017, 05:35 PM   #21534
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
*Shudder* fuck that film. Fucked me up for days that did. I can be pretty out there in my taste, but man, that was out there

Yeah, shudder is right. Evil film.
Old 09.27.2017, 05:49 PM   #21535
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah, shudder is right. Evil film.
sounds like the right thing to watch in the christmas season...

right up to the solstice when the sun is nearly dead... yeah

then of course the life of brian
Old 09.27.2017, 05:51 PM   #21536
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

wait... martyrs 2008 or martyrs 2016?

ETA: FRENCH VERSION NOT AMERICAN! FUCKING ... GAAAAAAH! !@#@#!@#!
Old 09.28.2017, 12:51 AM   #21537
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Martyrs and now Inside have both had American remakes that have had little to no hype around them, because the original French films were so damn good and unique in their own way, if you have not seen either of these movies seek out the original French versions. Neither are hard to find.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2017, 08:10 PM   #21538
demonrail666
invito al cielo

The Void

Probably my favourite of the recent crop of 80s throwback movies (It Follows, House of the Devil, etc). Fans of films like The Beyond and The Thing will be in heaven.
Old 09.29.2017, 09:30 PM   #21539
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Dead Poets Society.
Old 09.30.2017, 12:31 PM   #21540
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

The Void

Probably my favourite of the recent crop of 80s throwback movies (It Follows, House of the Devil, etc). Fans of films like The Beyond and The Thing will be in heaven.

Oooooooh! Whassis? Thanks for the rec!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
57797710271067107410751076 1077 107810791080108711271177 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth