Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.21.2019, 08:03 AM   #23401
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
I'm also downloading raimi spidey just for you bb

Good! These are the movies you actually should download and not pay for because they’re terrible and I wouldn’t want you to waste your money, so pieate away!

Also, once you’ve watched them again with an adult’s brain, come back and argue for Dafoe again. If you can bring yourself to say he’s better than Ledger and I’m convinced your not trolling, I’ll buy you some ducking Cheescakw Factory or some shit.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2019, 08:12 AM   #23402
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yeah im insane cuz COMIC MOOBY SIRIUS BIZNIZ OH SO DEEP SIRIUS SIRIUS OH GREAT MASKED BAT I STAKE MY LIFE ON SUPERPOWERS AND MAGIC TECH lolololo

it’s a fucking children’s comic!

it’s supposed to be fun

and a little ridiculous

That’s a great reason for saying awful things are better than really, genuinely good things.

Also not sure what you’re making fun of, as Spider-Man and green goblin are the folks with superpowers and “magic tech” — but whatever man.

Dafoe’s terrible Green Goblin in the shit-eating sub-Phantom Menace-level, 30-year-olds-dressd-as-high-school-kids cartoon fuckoff movie is probably better than Ledger’s Oscar-winning turn as the Joker in the amazing Dark Knight because UGHHHHH IT’S SUPPOSED TO BE FUN WHICH CAN ONLY MEAN STUPID AS FUCK I GUESS OR WHATEVER!

Also, the Dark Knight is immeasurably more fun than that B-movie turd you’re championing for some reason.

Why? Because things so stupid they’re unbearable to watch can only be so “FUN LOLOL” while things that are well-made and smart are fun in multiple ways. Entertaining, exciting, yet somehow not fucking borderline-storyless flying cartoon nonsense like you goddamn know Spider-Man-Boy is.

But yeah probably only bad things can be fun, you’re right.
Old 01.21.2019, 08:20 AM   #23403
Severian
invito al cielo

Also, honestly many Spider-Man comics in particular are far from child-friendly
I don’t like them because there’s too much suggested rape (yeah, rape) and pedophilia and weird messed up sexual situations involving borderline rapey scenarios.

And same is true of many Batman comics. Not by any measure of the imagination “children’s” stories. Y’know, they didn’t even start out as children’s stories, so that’s really a godawful argument from someone who doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Also it has nothing to do with the film adaptations, which are also clearly not marketed or intended only for children.
Old 01.21.2019, 09:04 AM   #23404
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yeah and he flies through the trees tortured by fetal alcohol syndrome which is his kryptonite

lolol i dont know, it was many years ago, i just did not connect with it, maybe a bad vhs, maybe i came to it with different expectations.

i think something similar happened with mouchette jumping into the water or something. i might have seen the first few minutes and said nope.

i am not sure why tbh. maybe too much pathos in both? whereas others are more cerebral. balthasar seems the sweet spot though. whatta movie.

Fair enough but if it's been that long I'd definitely recommend you give it a second try. For me it's everything Bresson was about.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2019, 10:01 AM   #23405
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Fair enough but if it's been that long I'd definitely recommend you give it a second try. For me it's everything Bresson was about.
yeah i will look again

one of the beauties of streaming is that you can try something without great commitment (that is also a weakness because it’s easier to give up on something that does not readily please but deserves attention).

but yeah. criterion service launches “in the spring”, and whenever that is i’ll look for bresson.

im actually desperate for it... got a free month of netflix to try out and when it comes to movies it’s an endless procession of shit—hence my recent marvel adventures in mindnumbing trash.

except for ragnarok. which has actual jokes.

you liked mouchette too, right?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2019, 10:03 AM   #23406
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
@sev: i am sorry dude but scarcity is a fact of life

so i have no more time for -mans today
Old 01.21.2019, 11:12 AM   #23407
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

you liked mouchette too, right?

Very much. I've not seen all of his films but I put everything I have seen firmly in the great + category. Bresson's up there among the very best of the best for me.
Old 01.21.2019, 11:18 AM   #23408
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
That’s a great reason for saying awful things are better than really, genuinely good things.

Also not sure what you’re making fun of, as Spider-Man and green goblin are the folks with superpowers and “magic tech” — but whatever man.

Dafoe’s terrible Green Goblin in the shit-eating sub-Phantom Menace-level, 30-year-olds-dressd-as-high-school-kids cartoon fuckoff movie is probably better than Ledger’s Oscar-winning turn as the Joker in the amazing Dark Knight because UGHHHHH IT’S SUPPOSED TO BE FUN WHICH CAN ONLY MEAN STUPID AS FUCK I GUESS OR WHATEVER!

Also, the Dark Knight is immeasurably more fun than that B-movie turd you’re championing for some reason.

Why? Because things so stupid they’re unbearable to watch can only be so “FUN LOLOL” while things that are well-made and smart are fun in multiple ways. Entertaining, exciting, yet somehow not fucking borderline-storyless flying cartoon nonsense like you goddamn know Spider-Man-Boy is.

But yeah probably only bad things can be fun, you’re right.

I like Raimi's Spider-Man films in spite of Dafoe. I watch them more as a love story and on that level they work fine for me (the 1st two, anyway). I'd actually forgotten Dafoe was even in them until you reminded me. The problem is if you find Heath Ledger's performance a bit annoying (which I must admit I do) there doesn't seem to be much else in The Dark Knight to really hold on to.
Old 01.21.2019, 04:40 PM   #23409
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I like Raimi's Spider-Man films in spite of Dafoe. I watch them more as a love story and on that level they work fine for me (the 1st two, anyway). I'd actually forgotten Dafoe was even in them until you reminded me. The problem is if you find Heath Ledger's performance a bit annoying (which I must admit I do) there doesn't seem to be much else in The Dark Knight to really hold on to.

At least you acknowledge that Dafoe is shit in that movie, and seem to understand that the movie is shit too, just shit you like.

I think there’s plenty more in TDK to love. Cinematography, practical special effects, pacing, music (really great music), story, art and sound direction, acting ... but sure, Ledger’s the meat, so I guess if you don’t like Ledger (which I suppose is possible?) then maybe it’s not great.

If you don’t like Robert Deniro, Taxi Driver’s gonna suck too. For you. But it doesn’t suck. You just don’t like the right things. Same thing here.

But your admission of Dafoe’s ridoculousness puts you ahead of these fools in my book. Cheers.
Old 01.21.2019, 04:55 PM   #23410
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Very much. I've not seen all of his films but I put everything I have seen firmly in the great + category. Bresson's up there among the very best of the best for me.

I will co-sign. Bresson always floors me. That atmosphere he creates really draws you into its vacuum and then he startles you with moments of poetry and grace. The end of Pickpocket, when the music plays as they kiss after all that silence is almost unbearably beautiful. And Balthazar? I think about it almost every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQPrlkUjKrw

At first, I did not like Country Priest or Mouchette as much as I loved Balthazar or Pickpocket. Mouchette especially feel at times like Balthazar 2. I need to rewatch that one soon. Fuck it, both of them are in the que now.

I highly recommend L'argent to anyone who's never seen it. It was made in, I think, '83 and it was his last film. It is a film with absolutely no fat at all and is suffocatingly bleak, but I think it is a great culmination of his body of work.

Also, Paul Schrader's recent film First Reformed is a bit of a Country Priest remake (although that's not exactly what it is). Maybe if one doesn't dig Bresson's Country Priest, try checking that out.

Oh man Bresson! I'm going to go watch Mouchette now.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2019, 05:14 PM   #23411
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Love is the Devil

I don't know if this is any good but its subject (Francis Bacon and the drinking/art scene around Soho) has fascinated me to the point of near obsession for as long as I can remember, so I'm inevitably gonna love it. The casting is as perfect as its ear for dialect and the (now lost) pub-culture atmosphere. And anyone in need of some fresh additions to their roster of witty insults need look no further.

Old 01.21.2019, 05:25 PM   #23412
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
I will co-sign. Bresson always floors me. That atmosphere he creates really draws you into its vacuum and then he startles you with moments of poetry and grace. The end of Pickpocket, when the music plays as they kiss after all that silence is almost unbearably beautiful. And Balthazar? I think about it almost every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQPrlkUjKrw

At first, I did not like Country Priest or Mouchette as much as I loved Balthazar or Pickpocket. Mouchette especially feel at times like Balthazar 2. I need to rewatch that one soon. Fuck it, both of them are in the que now.

I highly recommend L'argent to anyone who's never seen it. It was made in, I think, '83 and it was his last film. It is a film with absolutely no fat at all and is suffocatingly bleak, but I think it is a great culmination of his body of work.

Also, Paul Schrader's recent film First Reformed is a bit of a Country Priest remake (although that's not exactly what it is). Maybe if one doesn't dig Bresson's Country Priest, try checking that out.

Oh man Bresson! I'm going to go watch Mouchette now.
ah so glad to see the thread return to... relevant matters lol

what queue is this? are you streaming? and if so, from where?
Old 01.21.2019, 05:38 PM   #23413
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

More of a figurative queue; I own the Criterions.

But the Schrader film is on Amazon Prime if you have it. If you get around to it, I'm curious in what you think of it.
Old 01.21.2019, 05:39 PM   #23414
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Balthazar? I think about it almost every day.

The scene at the end of Balthazar, when the donkey lays down to die among the sheep is possibly the most hauntingly beautiful and genuinely profound things I've ever seen in any film, period.
Old 01.21.2019, 05:53 PM   #23415
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:

At first, I did not like Country Priest

More than aything I think he's a filmmaker of moments. Not saying his films don't hang together as a whole but, like the others, I find certain scenes in Country Priest ... not even scenes, but moments within scenes, like the priest's vague, almost imperceptible smile while riding on the motorcycle, another of those true hallelujah moments that Bresson alone seemed capable of.

"It seems to me that [Bresson] is the only director in the world that has achieved absolute simplicity in cinema. As it was achieved in music by Bach, art by Leonardo. Tolstoy achieved it as a writer." - Andrei Tarkovsky
Old 01.21.2019, 06:08 PM   #23416
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
More than aything I think he's a filmmaker of moments. Not saying his films don't hang together as a whole but, like the others, I find certain scenes in Country Priest ... not even scenes, but moments within scenes, like the priest's vague, almost imperceptible smile while riding on the motorcycle, another of those true hallelujah moments that Bresson alone seemed capable of.

"It seems to me that [Bresson] is the only director in the world that has achieved absolute simplicity in cinema. As it was achieved in music by Bach, art by Leonardo. Tolstoy achieved it as a writer." - Andrei Tarkovsky

Yes! Totally agree. Bresson makes you lean forward so much into his vacuum and you feel so cold and then those 'hallelujah' moments make you feel redeemed in a certain way. And he can do it with just a shot of someone's hands, a doorway or a piece of music.

Is that quote from Sculpting in Time? I love that book. I'm not too well versed on 'film theory', but it seems to me that he had a unique and profound opinion on what cinema is and really wanted to separate it from all other art forms.

mmmm Tarkovsky and Bresson, my two favorites!
Old 01.21.2019, 06:13 PM   #23417
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i hear you guys on the moments business but a man escaped i remember as such a relentless non-stop suspense it’s like hitchcock. maybe i’m embellishing it in memory but i feel it as an uninterrupted sequence. like rope.

same with pickpocket. it’s a “quiet” movie but it has the non-stop quality of zero waste to it.

the final scene of balthasar of course thinking about it twists up my guts inside.

ah maaaaan. i used to own dvds.

i might need to rent again from “netflix ground” to tie me over.

and no love for lancelot du lac? it is so fucking bizarre and hilarious. it’s almost like buñuel made it.
Old 01.21.2019, 07:54 PM   #23418
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

LOLOLOLO derp hahaha driving sev crazy for funniesyup!

I watched the beginning of “HEREDITARY” the other day and I got the distinct impression that it was going to be the kind of horror movie that sticks with you and seeps into your fucking soul, so I stopped.

Like... like “Anti-Christ” (speaking of Willem Dafoe) ... YAH I don’t need to be that disturbed just now thanks so much

Can anyone speak to the fuckedupedness of “Hereditary”?
Old 01.21.2019, 08:08 PM   #23419
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
More than anything I think he's a filmmaker of moments...etc

I haven't watched him in years, but stuff like the above is making me want to re-watch it all. Now I can watch with some media player that can smoothly bump up the speed a tad on some of them.

Quote:
and no love for lancelot du lac? it is so fucking bizarre and hilarious. it’s almost like buñuel made it.

I can't remember anything about the movie except being unable to figure out if the inept violence was inept on purpose or not.

Quote:
The scene at the end of Balthazar, when the donkey lays down to die among the sheep is possibly the most hauntingly beautiful and genuinely profound things I've ever seen in any film, period.

I saw that on the big screen. Yes, I'm bragging.

---

Watched MacGruber today. Classic.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2019, 08:15 PM   #23420
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove

I can't remember anything about the movie except being unable to figure out if the inept violence was inept on purpose or not.
the way i read it back then (eh, it’s been ages) was like “this is what the middle ages were really like”, and reducing the stuff of myth to dumb human foibles.

now that i think about it... “monty python and hte holy grail”, while a different kind of beast, might owe it some inspiration

the final scene in the forest lololololololololo

“thonk” “clank” “clank” “thonk”

hahahahahahahaha
671107111211161116811691170 1171 117211731174118112211271 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth