Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Lee Ranaldo - Between The Times & The Tides
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.20.2012, 12:22 PM   #281
flashlight69
bad moon rising

flashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's asses
i really like the record. is this really a pop record? i mean xtina is really vicious.
flashlight69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2012, 12:11 AM   #282
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight69
i really like the record. is this really a pop record? i mean xtina is really vicious.
Pop could also be vicious (listen for example the first Cure albums and I think also the later material of the Cure really isnīt typical pop).

Anyway to me itīs the same how Lee new album music is called, I just love it!
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2012, 04:22 PM   #283
eternal
bad moon rising

eternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asseseternal kicks all y'all's asses
i got my vinyl copy and it sounds great...much less of the muffled sound from the MP3s i had. not to mention i love the artwork

my favourite song is still Xtina, but all the others are pretty great. love the Lost chorus/verse transitions as well as Hammer Blows. Surprisingly, Shouts is probably my least favourite (despite being Canadian and a hockey fanatic) but its still a nice tune and i love that weird theremin-like instrument in the bridge.
eternal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2012, 04:54 PM   #284
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Robert Christgau's review:

Quote:
Lee Ranaldo: Between the Time and the Tides (Matador)

Never much of a singer even by Sonic Youth standards and always abrasive solo, Ranaldo applies his best-in-band chops to riffage and filigree so lovely his well-meaning and far from altogether tuneless plainsong has the welcome effect of situating the guitar in the same reality occupied by his lyrics, which always make sense and often seem a mere detail away from total lucidity. Throughout he recaptures the repose of A Thousand Leaves's "Hoarfrost," his will to reconciliation and renewal always palpable whether the songs reach out or recalibrate his options. Just the album you'd hope from a thoughtful 56-year-old after his band of 30 years breaks up. Best in show is "Angles," a love song to someone he knows well and can always stand to know better. Not a bandmate, either. A MINUS

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2012, 04:26 AM   #285
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Lee Ranaldo Between The Times & The Tides release party performance & interview

http://vimeo.com/40275980

Lee Ranaldo discusses his first solo 'songs' album and performs two of its tracks on acoustic guitar in the loft of SoHo's MORRISON HOTEL GALLERY.

(thanks for this video Chris!)

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2012, 02:42 PM   #286
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Does anyone know why the mp3 of "Lost" included in the free download w/ the LP is titled "Lost (Plane T Nice)"? I can't find reference to this anywhere in the LP sleeve, but maybe there's something on the CD?

After all of the "Agnello thump" discussion above, I'm a little embarrassed to note that closer review of the liner notes reveals the album was produced by Lee and Agnello, yet recorded by Aaron with LR and others. Agnello mixed it with assistance from Aaron, but I still maintain that the overall "thumpiness" is a sound typically associated with Agnello. If someone wants to split hairs re: producing vs recording, be my guest...

Still really love the album! People are obviously entitled not to like it, but I wonder what those outraged by its pop/rock sensibilities were expecting? All of the solo "song-based" tracks Lee released over the years (almost all covers, of course) should have been some indication as to his non-SY sensibilities...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2012, 06:34 PM   #287
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Was there a free download with the LP?
Totally missed this...did u get any card or what? Cause I didn't get anything :S
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2012, 06:39 PM   #288
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle
Totally missed this...did u get any card or what? Cause I didn't get anything :S

only in the USA

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2012, 12:19 AM   #289
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
Lee Ranaldo Between The Times & The Tides release party performance & interview

http://vimeo.com/40275980

Lee Ranaldo discusses his first solo 'songs' album and performs two of its tracks on acoustic guitar in the loft of SoHo's MORRISON HOTEL GALLERY.

(thanks for this video Chris!)

This is much more what I had imagined Lee's "singer-songwriter" album would be, and I'd love Between The Times & The Tides all the more intensely if this was what it was like.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2012, 07:48 AM   #290
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle
I got also that download card... but I ordered it straight from Matador.
Old 04.28.2012, 08:12 AM   #291
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm pretty wierd that I didn't got any...my copy was imported and sealed...
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2012, 04:45 PM   #292
hypertonic
bad moon rising

hypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asseshypertonic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
The song Waiting on a Dream insanely takes off after the first drum crash. What a reccorded moment LEE!

Damn strait. Chill inducing. That first line really hits me esp. being born in CO, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
And about that Pitchfork review, I think it is very poor way to start with Thurston`s and Kim`s divorce. (What itīs got to do with Leeīs music?)

This. Pitchfork never fails to fail. At least the reviews. The fest in Chi is alrght, tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
Some of the negative comments in this thread had me curious, but this record exceeds my expectations completely. He assembled a great group of musicians - you can rarely go wrong with Nels Cline's touch, Steve is naturally flawless, and I love hearing fluid, driving basslines behind these songs - the whole group mixes quite well! Pretty much every song had burned itself into my mind by the 2nd listen.

I think its best to either not have any expectations or to understand his influences before going into it. Yes, it does sounds a bit 60's nostalgic, with hints of Neil Young-ish bits (Cline?). It helps to understand the Brian Wilson-60's-psychrock-Dead strain of thought I and others have recognized i some of Lee's output. The instrumentation/arrangement here is superb though! Nice to hear established skilled musicians backing Lee/SS.

Also, as far as any poetry or musical missteps.. Miles Davis once said "the wrong notes serve to make the right ones look better". I think that SY output in general always had weird moments and things present in them like this (Goo?), but by contrast, really does serve to help put other moments in a certain light (thinking of many Thousand Leaves moments here..). I guess sometimes I appreciate that unabashed honestly/awkward moments in music sometimes. It's more human in a way.
hypertonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2012, 09:22 AM   #293
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertonic
This. Pitchfork never fails to fail. At least the reviews. The fest in Chi is alrght, tho.
If somebody say to me about some musicmagazine, that it never fails, itīs really a good reason to not trust that person or that magazine. There just not exist anything in this world that never fails.
Old 04.30.2012, 01:55 PM   #294
umjammer atomsk
the end of the ugly

umjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's asses
there's a Blue Submarine No. 6 videogame called Time and Tide

i'll give this a listen

umjammer atomsk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2012, 12:17 AM   #295
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Looks like there's a tour-only 12" of demos and a 7" of alt mixes! Hopefully they'll make their way online (or he'll make his way to the northwest).

I suppose there's always eBay...

http://instagr.am/p/KLozAHwgIG/
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2012, 12:35 AM   #296
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Looks like there's a tour-only 12" of demos and a 7" of alt mixes! Hopefully they'll make their way online (or he'll make his way to the northwest).

Oh, they look so beautiful. Another reason to be pissed off and heartbroken due to the fact that there weren't any single Lee Ranaldo-related items at the Indie-O Fest merch tables back in April. Can somebody please pick up a copy of each one of these for me? I can paypal fair price for them plus shipping and handling costs. I really dislike to be ripped off on e-bay, but I suppose I'll go that route if all else fails. Thanks for the heads-up, Chris.
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2012, 02:15 AM   #297
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Some interesting interviews which I didn't see linked here:

*Lee discusses "Between The Times And The Tides" as well as his gear (guitars, pedal board, amps) with Guitar World, amongst other things:
http://www.guitarworld.com/interview...imes-and-tides

*Another Guitar World feauture: Lee Ranaldo discusses his signature Fender Jazzmaster guitar:
http://www.guitarworld.com/sonic-you...re-jazzmasters

*An interview with Lee Ranaldo by The Thread in two parts:
PART I: http://thethread.dukeperformances.du...analdo-part-1/
PART II: http://thethread.dukeperformances.du...analdo-part-2/

*Lee Ranaldo interviewed by Loud And Quiet (some awesome pictures on this one):
http://www.loudandquiet.com/2012/03/...ldo-interview/

*Lee Ranaldo interviewed by CRACK Magazine:
http://crackmagazine.net//article/576/lee-ranaldo/#top

(Image posted here because you need to see it, even if you don't follow the link).
Old 05.04.2012, 06:19 AM   #298
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

rappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

The tour 12" collects all the bonus demos (Japanese edition + iTunes + Tower CD-R), don't know what the 7" is. Should I ask you-know-who to hold two copies of each?

rappard is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2012, 11:57 AM   #299
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I also need one of each, as they were not available at the LA show. Lil help please.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kung Fu store gets some for us, actually.
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2012, 10:25 PM   #300
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by rappard
The tour 12" collects all the bonus demos (Japanese edition + iTunes + Tower CD-R), don't know what the 7" is. Should I ask you-know-who to hold two copies of each?

just back from the show a little while ago...got the 12" and not the 7". the 7" had different mixes of two songs (can't recall which ones, but the b side was acoustic).
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
121314 15 1617 >
-->

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth